Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs to D-Jet - Need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kahluver
My '74 2.0 is running dual Dellortos and I've been wanting to restore my engine back to D-Jet. I was able to score a full and working D-Jet system including wiring, ECU and all hoses, FI, etc...

How difficult is it to go back to D-Jet from carbs? Aside from the D-Jet system, I also expect to have to go back to a high-pressure fuel pump and should probably replace the fuel lines as well.

Has anyone put D-Jet back into your car? If so, was it a real PITA? Any tips or tricks to this?

I'm pretty good with mechanicals but I'm new to FI. I've restored several other old air-cooled cars. Should I try installing this myself or is this better left to someone more familiar with these D-Jet systems?
BeatNavy
Absolutely can be done and has been done. The only real gotcha is to know whether or not your engine has a non-stock cam that is friendlier to carbs. If so, then going back to D-Jet is not a good option. Do you know the engine build history?

Yes, you'll need a high-pressure fuel pump. The two-port Bosch works well (I just replaced my 3-port with this last weekend - much better starting experience).

Physically installing everything is not hard. Assuming that all the bits and pieces are compatible from the same system (e.g., '72 2.0) and are in good working order, it's something most people can do if they are so inclined and willing to learn. Lots of resources available (e.g., https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm) as well as here on the world.

So my tip is: Read up and learn more about D-Jet. Make sure you have all the right parts. Test them before you try to use them (that link has good diagnostic info).

Having said all that, I'm a fan of D-Jet. It was a steep learning curve, but I enjoyed the process.
thelogo
I was able to score a full and working D-Jet system including wiring, ECU and all hoses, :bull stromberg:

Working , according to whom , the guy who sold it too you

How much did it set you back
GregAmy
I've come to like the D-Jet (though not the relay plate). My only concern with a FI->carb conversion is that some wiring may have been modified or removed. You got everything, right? A new engine harness from Bowlsby (on my wish list) is just over $450.
saigon71
Like Rob said, you really need to find out what cam is in that engine before going any further.

kahluver
Thanks so much for the advice. As you can see I'm a newbie on 914 FI.

Unfortunately I have no idea on the cam in my current motor as the prior owner didn't have it's build history.

Is there any way to tell by how the car runs? I'm running carbs and the car seems to run well. I've driven the car across the country and the only issue was I needed to raise the idle at altitude (5000 feet) or it'd die.

This is my only 914 so I wouldn't know how this compares to a carb'd car with the "carb cam".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.