Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 6 original motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I have an original 914- 6 motor on my 74, last week I noticed oil out of one of the exhaust ports. The motor runs fine . I will have to do a top end rebuilt . I am thinking a valve seal.

This motor is an original and my car is a 74. If anyone is looking for an original six , I can do a trade for any good running motor 2.2 and up .

Let me know what you have . If not I'll start the rebuilt during the winter and put it back.

Engine #6404497
GeorgeRud
There’s probably a factory -6 that would love it’s original motor. You might also want (and not have to add a front cooler).
914itis
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 19 2017, 06:01 PM) *

There’s probably a factory -6 that would love it’s original motor. You might also want (and not have to add a front cooler).

I don't mind adding a front cooler . I am flexible .
GeorgeRud
Then consider going larger (2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6) as it makes more torque and the car becomes a whole lot more fun!
injunmort
paul, where you been? having a season ending tech session next weekend, if you arearound.
914itis
Hey Mort , I was out of the country when you had the last one .

I will try to make it this time .
Cairo94507
Definitely post that engine number in the Classifieds as the Six owner, if the car still exists, might like to reunite them. Otherwise, sadly, it is not really a desirable motor.
porschetub
QUOTE(914itis @ Oct 20 2017, 10:52 AM) *

I have an original 914- 6 motor on my 74, last week I noticed oil out of one of the exhaust ports. The motor runs fine . I will have to do a top end rebuilt . I am thinking a valve seal.

This motor is an original and my car is a 74. If anyone is looking for an original six , I can do a trade for any good running motor 2.2 and up .

Let me know what you have . If not I'll start the rebuilt during the winter and put it back.

Engine #6404497

Have you considered upgrading the motor you have ?,it is known to you afterall,could be a good base for a displacement increase (86mm),cams upgraded etc.
A bit of extra cylinder head work and re-profiled cams would be your only extra expense over a stock build.
Often pointed out on here that they only have reasonable value if you sell to someone that needs numbers matching or original replacement engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.