Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Rear Brake Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
One of my rear calipers is completely shot. I was able to rebuild one, but the other is beyond repair.

Been very difficult finding replacement calipers. Wondering if the 6 cylinder calipers are an option? I see they are different part numbers than the 4 cylinder ones.

Any other suggestions? My backup plan is to buy some used calipers and rebuild them myself, but if there is straightforward options to purchase new/remanufactured, I'd like to know what it is.
Krieger
Contact Eric at PMB. He'll have you as good as new quickly. He is a vendor here.
mepstein
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 21 2017, 12:51 AM) *

Contact Eric at PMB. He'll have you as good as new quickly. He is a vendor here.

agree.gif
if you think it's hard to find 4 calipers, sixes are rare and restored, go for $1k-2k.
914Sixer
Unless you are keeping the car original, any -4 rear caliper will work. Other than the improved adjustment screw and additional bleeder there is no difference in the caliper function. Why not upgrade?
JFG
Look on the samba there are a couple of singles & pairs offered
vin man
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 21 2017, 05:37 AM) *

Unless you are keeping the car original, any -4 rear caliper will work. Other than the improved adjustment screw and additional bleeder there is no difference in the caliper function. Why not upgrade?

Upgrade to what?

The brakes have worked well for me in the time I've had the car. But if there is an upgrade option out there that works and isn't cost prohibitive, I'd consider it as well.

mepstein
QUOTE(vin man @ Oct 21 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Upgrade to what?

The brakes have worked well for me in the time I've had the car. But if there is an upgrade option out there that works and isn't cost prohibitive, I'd consider it as well.

Buy good pads, new soft lines and adjust correctly. Every other upgrade is very costly and unless you have larger calipers on the front, you don't want to go larger on the back.
vin man
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 21 2017, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(vin man @ Oct 21 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Upgrade to what?

Buy good pads, new soft lines and adjust correctly. Every other upgrade is very costly and unless you have larger calipers on the front, you don't want to go larger on the back.

Cool. New soft lines in, just need to get calipers done and I'm good to go.
I have a line on a rebuilt set now from a member
Thanks everyone!
914Sixer
The upgrade I was talking about is the 914-4 late rear calipers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.