Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw out bearing- replace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lagunero
I'm replacing my clutch/pressure plate. I have the new washer, bolts, pins. I forgot to buy the throw out bearing. Is this truly a must replace or can I just let it die of natural causes? I have lighten the flywheel if that matters. TIA
Joe Ricard
Well do you like dropping your power plant? Are you good at it?
Depends on the condition of the bearing you have in there. once the tight comes out of one of them things you can't get it back in. Or is that smoke in electrical parts. Yea that's it Electronics work great till you let the smoke out.

You can make throw out bearings last a good long time by always keeping your foot off the clutch pedal unless shifting. DON"T sit at stop light in gear. don't rest foot on pedal. 1st rule for co-drivers of my car.... clutch is in or out..... NEVER ease it all or nothing.
Scott
Always replace the throw out bearing whe you do a clutch. If not you will regret it later. It doesn't cost much and it's easy to do.

"Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today".
McMark
The one thing I've learned from working on cars is never be in a rush. Do what it takes. On that note, I would probably just put it back in without replacing it if it were my car. wacko.gif Backwards, I know. Do what I say, not what I do. That sort of thing.
skline
If you are tight on money, use the old one, if you dont mind going back in later to replace it. If money is not an issue, replace it now while you are in there anyway. I would replace it but thats just me. It is your call.
lagunero
Thanks guys. Since I'm going to carbs I really don't want to drop the motor more than I really have to (clearance issues).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.