Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: surface rust cure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
I just read this online.

"Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done. "

blink.gif
lapuwali
Phosphoric acid WILL treat rust. That's the active ingredient in "Ospho", "Naval Jelly", and probably "Metal Ready". It turns iron oxide into iron phosphate, which is black and will slow furthur rusting.

The question is if a can of Coke has a high enough concentration of phosphoric acid in it to do anything worthwhile. It may be enough for very mild surface rust.
Elliot_Cannon
Pour some Baccardi in the coke and drink it with a lot of ice. Use Metal Ready on the car.
Cheers, Elliot
scotty b
unsure.gif Kinda makes you think twice about what you're dumping in your mouth hole icon8.gif
bd1308
apparently the carbon dioxide in the coke and in soft drinks in general raises your chance of getting esophugus(sp) cancer.......
john grier
I have not tried it on rust but it works great cleaning the gunk off your windshield.
rhodyguy
it just made my nose bleed.

k
GWN7
False

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
Rand
I'm sure we've all heard the rumors about Coke dissolving nails... and "if it eats nails, just think about what it does to your stomach..."

Yeah right... Think I'll go mix up a rum and Coke.

You think Coke is tough on nails, you should see what stomach acid does to a nail!

Pretty much the same as Oshpo. Hmm.... Never mind.... I'm not barfing on my car to prevent rust.
laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ May 23 2005, 05:02 PM)
Pour some Baccardi in the coke and drink it with a lot of ice. Use Metal Ready on the car.

smilie_pokal.gif agree.gif hey Cap'n, does this pass your high standards for quality Tech Advice ?

beerchug.gif Andy
TROJANMAN
anybody have some "pop rocks"? chairfall.gif
chase them with a coke and it burns a hole in your stomach..............
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ May 23 2005, 08:25 PM)
anybody have some "pop rocks"? chairfall.gif
chase them with a coke and it burns a hole in your stomach..............

done that.

i got sick a few days later....coincidence? dry.gif
tat2dphreak
only think Coke will "fix" is a mild thirst... maybe the thirst caused by fixing rust with ospho... smile.gif seriously, if you've ever used ospho (or anything with a HIGH concentration of phosphoric acid, you'll know how little coke has... the smell is much stronger than you realize... plus everything else that is in coke would leave a residue that you would have to wash off... seems counter productive...
scruz914
I know for sure it really works. I had the lining of my stomach checked last month and there is no rust! I'll be damned if it doesn't work on the colon too. My colonoscopy was also rust free. biggrin.gif
aircooledboy
One of my favorite TV shows is "Myth Busters" on the Science channel. (Ya, I know. smoke.gif )

They tested several different Coke myths recently, and found, among other things, it won't dissolve a nail, but suprisingly found it actually worked great as a rust remover on chrome if you rubbed coke onto chrome with a piece of aluminum foil. confused24.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (brer @ May 23 2005, 04:21 PM)
Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain.

If you saturate an abrasive sponge with water and go at the rust stain, I'll bet it comes out as well.

Ditto on the mythbusters bit. I think they found most of their experiments weren't too different than their control. And you have a sticky mess to clean up afterwards.

Jen
MattR
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ May 23 2005, 04:02 PM)
Cheers, Elliot

Im glad to hear our pilot chimed in smilie_pokal.gif

biggrin.gif just playin elliot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.