Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Struggling with new turn signal and wiper stalk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
domer914
First, this is not intended for your entertainment, although I expect some will be tickled by my ignorance.

Second, I started a thread about trouble-shooting my intermittant signal cancellation problem, and decided to buy new parts (left and right stalk parts--wiper right side, and turn signal left side).

Now, I am an idiot and I don't mind admitting this. Given that I am not a wrencher, that I am an idiot, and add that I have zero patience, you might imagine that I was completely dumbfounded that my replacement parts were not 100% identical to the parts I removed from the steering column.

Bottom line, I am looking for tips and tricks to installing replacement stalks. A video would be super awesome, but I have been unable to find one and at this stage I feel like I don't deserve one.

So here are the ways my replacement parts are different from what I pulled off the vehicle:

1. This little screw dropped out of the package containing the wiper stalk. Remember...I am an idiot so I will not be able to give you useful details like the actual size (it's at home and I am at my office), so I will tell you it's maybe one-third the length of the four screws that anchor the stalks to the steering column. NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS FOR OR EVEN IF IT BELONGS. If this little dude is a left-over and I am able to install the replacement parts and they work correctly, I think I'd be willing to swallow him in celebration.

IPB Image

2. This guy came attached to the signal side of the stalk as pictured beneath it. The original version of the same part had no such "contact" part, and I don't know what to make of it. It is secured by a screw that if left in place, would prevent the anchor screw from securing the new stalk parts to the column. So go figure, I am completely stumped here.

IPB Image

IPB Image

3. I have four of these cylinders which came from the old parts, but are not part of the new parts. Two are slotted, two are solid. If I were smart (hopefully I made it clear that I am not smart) I at least would have documented which corners each of these emanated from. Alas, I have no idea. I don't even know if I need them anymore. They ran the length of the anchor screws, like sleeves, kinda tying the two stalk segments together.

IPB Image

4. I was completely frustrated last night as I tried desperately to install these parts. Once I officially gave up for the day, I looked down on the floorboard and saw this. Of course I assume it came from the column, but I have zero recollection as to where exactly it belongs. Geez...I suck.

IPB Image

5. I failed to photograph this part but the new contraption has a ground wire about 8 or so inches long attached to the signal side of the stalk. The old parts had no such thing. NO FRIGGIN IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH THIS, ARRGGGGHHH! I suck.

So in review, I want to do this myself, and I am hoping for a lot of deference from the forum. Make fun of me all you want--I deserve it. You may even be able to get me to pay you for your counsel, as it seems that's about the only thing I am good at. I mean...I got the parts. I haven't even gone into the frustration of having to deal with the manner by which the wire harness attaches to the stalk rings--that SOB is enough to make me want to jump off a building. Any secrets here ( I don't think there are any really) would be appreciated.

If there's any doubt as to whether I understated my competency, note that at the time of this posting I was unable to properly orient many of the pictures posted here. When I edited them I rotated them to a position where you could easily read them. But when I inserted them into my post, they did whatever the hell they wanted to do. I'm kinda used to that. I apologize for making you strain. Please forgive me. And thanks in advance for your input, I am grateful already.
mepstein
I'm pretty sure the washer in the last picture is the wavy washer that goes under the nut that secures the steering wheel.

That's all I got. Good luck.

I can tell you are reall frustrated but don't worry. The guys on this forum will help you out and you will feel like an expert when you are done.

BTDT.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 22 2017, 11:34 AM) *

I'm pretty sure the washer in the last picture is the wavy washer that goes under the nut that secures the steering wheel.

agree.gif

And, I can offer this: I remember being frustrated by the replacement turn signal stalk, too. I ended up getting it to work, but I can't remember all the details. Here's the thread where I struggled: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...243194&st=0

I was told that the bolt and nut were only for shipping to keep that little contact piece in place. At this point, since I can't remember differently, I have to assume that's the case.

I also seem to remember that those cylinders are needed and are maybe inserted into the new part confused24.gif ? Might be how the signal grounds.

Keep trying and keep asking questions. Someone with better info / memory will help.
mzalanka
What year is your car, and what is the manufacturer and exact part number (on the box) for the replacement piece?
domer914
QUOTE(mzalanka @ Oct 22 2017, 02:13 PM) *

What year is your car, and what is the manufacturer and exact part number (on the box) for the replacement piece?

the car is a 73. Did I mention I was an idiot?

So I don't know the mfr and the part is at home and I am at work. So I pulled up my Ebay order, only to find that the ad indicates the part is compatible with 74 and 75 models. Wonder if that's really true. Sh!t.

It may have been a good idea for me to discover that gem BEFORE buying the part.
porschetub
Those spacer tubes go through the larder holes in the plastic housing,1 of them is an earth connection to the steering column...rather important.
Their purpose also is to stop the housing being pinched up when the screws are tightened.
That bolt on metal tab should be held on by one of the 4 mounting screws.
Hope that's of help and no you are not an idiot because you asked these questions...remember everyone has to start somewhere.
Good luck.
mzalanka
Don't be too hard on yourself. Making stuff = breaking stuff. biggrin.gif Also it's a 914 so not much is going to make sense, at least the first time around.

72-76 can all use the VW equivalent replacement which is all that's available new, AFAIK. 111.953.513F.

1 & 2) I don't remember dealing with those on my replacement. But, I also moved my horn button. So my horn doesn't function in the factory way anyway and anything related to that byzantine system was ignored during my replacement.

3) BeatNavy is right and those sleeves are important for the horn grounding. They should insert into the wiper switch and the turn signal switch should sort of seat on them. The screws go through them. I can't see how the split/solid ones would make a difference as, again per my recollection, all 4 of the flathead screws are the same size.

4) Definitely the washer under the steering wheel bolt.

5) No idea what the ground wire is. Stock and the replacement I used had no such thing.

The connector plug is a major PITA - it can be removed/replaced through the two oval holes in the bottom of the knee pad but it is really challenging to do so. To do it, you basically have to be upside down with your back on the floor, under the dash, head down by the pedals, with a headlamp to see sort of what you're dealing with - and then getting the connector in is done by "feel" with one finger in the RH oval and one in the LH. The dealers probably all had one guy who was adept and could get this done in 5 minutes. I would give it 10 minutes and if you can't get it, just unscrew and drop the knee pad to get the connectors removed/replaced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.