Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Guys:
I'm trying to remove the old clutch cable in order to put in my new Terry cable and I'll be damned if I can get the pin out (this is inside the car, in the front) and I'm trying to disconnect it.
The nut is backed off and the clip is pulled back, but I can't get the pin out. There isn't a whole lot of room to work, but even when/if I get something to push on the pin, it won't budge. Will it only come out one way? Is there a trick that I'm missing here?
Can I get the cable replaced without removing the other cover plate and the console?
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks,
Andy..
mihai914
Did you remove completely the cable from the clevis/pin assembly?

You can use a small screwdriver between the clip/pin which is one part and the clevis to pry them apart.

Mihai
RAR
IIRC a groove gets worn in the pin part of the clevis clip. It may look lined up to push out, but it isn't. The clevis fork must be moved back and forth to get things lined up so things will slide. You should assume you have to destroy the clip, it needs replacing anyway.
xsboost90
just did my clutch cable tonite! I took a punch and hit the pin in the center and it popped enough to start moving and i pulled it right out.
john rogers
If you loosen the rear of the cable first, if not broken, the pedal will flop forward. You can see the clevis through a small opening behind the accelerator pedal after the floor board is removed. As noted, use a small scew driver to pop it loose and it will pull out one side. Install is just the opposite. When I work on the race car I fill the floor with lots of pillows to lay on from the passenger side since I have an aluminum race seat and roll cage so it is really ahrd to get in from the driver's side. I'd recommend getting a spare clevis as the clip part can break off if it is old. Good luck.
914zim
Thanks a lot guys for the responses.
Taking a quick lunch break from work to check in...
I think I can see what I need to do, as far as getting the pin out. It's just that there's not a lot of room to work (yeah, I know... it's a 914!). Good point about a groove being worn in the pin. I think that's what's going on, because I got my right angle pick on the end of the pin and gave it a good push, but it didn't budge.
Also, with the car up on jack stands, I'm a little worried when I'm laying in the car trying to contort myself to squeeze in there, that it'll come crashing down (I'm in the middle of a clutch change and I'm replacing the cable as well).
Anyway, it may be a coupla days before I can get any quality 914 time, but I'll give it another try later.
Thanks again,
Andy...
john rogers
You're guess is correct, the pin/clevis only comes out one way. If you have a new one, you can grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull it out. There is not much room for a punch and a hammer in there. Put the wheels under each corner so if the car does come off the stands it won't go too far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.