Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Hi Everyone,

I have never dealt with an alternator issue with a 914 and I am very limited in my ability to work on the car. But my alternator is no longer putting out a charge and I think it is because the belt is too loose. The red light has been flickering...not brightly, just flickering. I reached around and felt the 1st belt I could and it felt loose. Is tightening the belt as easy as taking off the little plastic covers, loosing the Allen bolt and sliding the alternator to a tighter location, then retightening the Allen bolt?

Thanks as always for any help, the car is looking better everyday.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Ross @ Oct 23 2017, 03:22 PM) *
Is tightening the belt as easy as taking off the little plastic covers, loosing the Allen bolt and sliding the alternator to a tighter location, then retightening the Allen bolt?

Yup
iankarr
Almost....

There's a pivot bolt on the bottom which may be tight and keep the alternator from easily moving when the top Allen bolt is loosened. Start with the top bolt and hopefully you won't need to loosen the pivot.
cary
What Ian said ................... on the bottom.
Just be careful when you pry , you don't what to bend your engine tin.
If the pivot is too tight you'll start to press on the tin.
porschetub
Check condition of the vee belt while you are in there,cheap enough to replace,don't automatically assume this is your charging issue,you could have worn out brushes,dirty comutator or diodes on the way out.
Fit and retention a new belt and carry out a load test on your altenator ,turn on all high load items and check voltage @ the battery,under load you will have a higher voltage than your battery when the car isn't running, generally 2+ volts .
Good luck.
Rand
Sometimes this can be as simple as dirty connection at the voltage relay. Try wiggling it (on the relay board) and see if the behavior changes with the light. If so, pull it and clean the terminals.

If the belt is too loose though, you'll have to deal with that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.