Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery cut off switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
I've got a slow drain in my battery. My guess is that it's from the 911 dash installed by a previous owner. After about a week, the car may or may not start. Is anyone out there using a battery cut off switch? There are a lot for sale, but many look similar and several have some bad reviews.
Thanks
mobymutt
I got this for my car:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/top-...tch/A-p4210962e

As simple as it gets, but you do have to open the engine cover every time.
Mark Henry
I've had a Moroso switch on my bug for years, never a problem.
thelogo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 23 2017, 05:43 PM) *

I've had a Moroso switch on my bug for years, never a problem.

I also ha e the moroso on my 914 , mark knows his stuff

I also use a trickle or float charger too when the batt gets disconnected
The trickle chager go's on

I assume this will make the bat last longest as possible stirthepot.gif
SKL1
I have the one shown by mutt above on both cars. Don't have the bypass wire as neither car has anything with "memory" - they're 45+ years old!!!

Works fine- easy twist and power is off.
Dave_Darling
You should still figure out where the problem is.

--DD
Rand
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 23 2017, 08:20 PM) *

--DD

For sure. There's a parasite on board. I like cutoff switches, but, don't allow one to hide while you shut it off.
thelogo

--DD

Sorry i should started with i use the cutoff because

My modernish sony radio clock supposedly drain the batt

Or

Or i had ! an optima and let it drain down , left on the lights

And so im paranoid

Aggreed dave , find the source of drain isnt a bad idea
ThreeV8s
We just pulled a battery out of my father's car after 16 years because we wanted to switch to agm for corrosion prevention. The battery was still cranking strong with the same style cut-off switch as post 2 (without the wire and never charged it). I'll be adding the same switch when I replace the battery that's in my 914 if there's room. The only downside of that style is the fact that it can still leave a slight connection to the battery if it's sticking at all. A blade style is probably best but finding the clearance with a rain tray would be a challenge.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 23 2017, 11:43 PM) *

--DD

For sure. There's a parasite on board. I like cutoff switches, but, don't allow one to hide while you shut it off.

Pull all your fuses, replace one at a time, tap the ground cable on the - battery and look for sparky.
Doing this will hopefully narrow your search to one circuit.

MSD is on all the time, as in it will charge the capacitors, so if you have an MSD disconnect it for this test.
drem914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 24 2017, 06:29 AM) *

Pull all your fuses, replace one at a time, tap the ground cable on the - battery and look for sparky.
Doing this will hopefully narrow your search to one circuit.

MSD is on all the time, as in it will charge the capacitors, so if you have an MSD disconnect it for this test.

Mark, Thanks for the sequence, as I too, like many here, have got a parasite power drain. I was not sure how to go about narrowing down the offending circuit. If I don't leave a trickle charger on it I will have a dead battery w/in 2 weeks.
Keith914
I also had a battery drain issue. I conducted testing by removing the negative battery lead, then carefully moving it towards the battery terminal looking for a spark which occurs about 1/16" distance (low surrounding light helps to see the spark) from the terminal. After researching this issue, I removed two in line fuses installed with a modern radio plus self powered woofer. This almost removed the significant spark at the battery piratenanner.gif There is still a very small spark remaining which I assume is a discharge of capacitors in the MSD system. So far so good.
GregAmy
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Oct 23 2017, 08:33 PM) *
As simple as it gets, but you do have to open the engine cover every time.

Leverage Mark's "hot start relay" idea: Ford starter solenoid in the battery line with a SPST switch hidden under the dash. Switch off, battery solenoid open. Switch on, battery solenoid closed.

That's what I do on one of my race cars. And a replacement is easy peasy to find, should I need it.
Mark Henry
Yes I meant to add the radio too should be disconnected as it will give a tiny spark as well. Old school radios without a clock should be OK.
Once you narrow it down to one circuit you can start by disconcerting wires from things on that circuit.

I'd disconnect the MSD just to rule it out.
forrestkhaag
Check with Keith914 for possible clues / he just recently chased down the same problem / and solved it.

beerchug.gif
dgraves
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Oct 24 2017, 02:14 PM) *

Check with Keith914 for possible clues / he just recently chased down the same problem / and solved it.

beerchug.gif

All replies were helpful, guys. Thank you. I've been away for a few days. I may have it narrowed down to a "modern" radio install. I always thought it looked funky.

As always, the help in this forum is great...even for people not as mechanical as most of you.

Best regards,
Dan
PlaysWithCars
I've always used a lever type battery terminal clamp to be able to quickly disconnect the battery. I usually only use it on one lead to break the circuit. I've used the lead style ones over the years but on the most recent installation use this steel style. I was skeptical but ffor 3+ years its been working fine.
Click to view attachment
quick connect terminal

I don't like the disconnects shown in post #2 because they are too tall and frequently cause clearance issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.