Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car dies in turns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxdude914
Sorry to open a new topic about the same problem but the last ones old and i want people to reread it. I started to notice that the car only died on turns and most of the time sharp turns, so i pulled it into my driveway and sat with it idling and sharply turned the wheel to the right and the car dies no fuel pump on. So i get out and tell my dad to turn the wheel left while i push and then voila the pump turns on, any idea's?
bd1308
i bet your points get grounded....check the tach wire coming from the dash........
mxdude914
could you elaborate a little more
ArtechnikA
California cars can't turn right - only left.
except in Orange County and Coronado, where they can only turn right.

seriously - find out why your steering rack is fouling the wire to the fuel pump...
bd1308
its my security system.....i take the wire from the back of the tach and ground it. now the way the points ign works is it provides a countrolled intermittent ground and if you ground it, you provide a constant ground to the coil resulting in a no-start condition.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 23 2005, 11:11 PM)
and by accident you'rs is doing that when you turn left.

do you really believe this?

first, that the tach wire is getting grounded ?
second, that a grounded tach wire would turn off the fuel pump?
mihai914
To me, it sounds like your fuel pump wire (assuming the pump is up front) is somehow stuck in the steering rack rubber boot and when you turn it pulls it and breaks the electrical contact. I would clean the connector, if there's a poor wire splice just redo it and finally reroute the wire out of the steering rack making sure to secure it to something static with some zip ties.

Mihai
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 23 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 23 2005, 11:11 PM)
and by accident you'rs is doing that when you turn left.

do you really believe this?

first, that the tach wire is getting grounded ?
second, that a grounded tach wire would turn off the fuel pump?

agree.gif with rich

huh.gif
bd1308
yeah by default the car's fuel pump doesnt run when the car is off???
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 23 2005, 08:35 PM)
yeah by default the car's fuel pump doesnt run when the car is off???

pulling the ign. wire doesnt stop your car from cranking though blink.gif
so how does it stop your fuel pump from priming????

just grounding the wire makes it so it WONT FIRE wacko.gif

dry.gif
bd1308
well pulling the fuel wire doesnt stop the engine from cranking either.....whatever.....
mxdude914
Would the fuel lines being crimped a little bit do it? also ay other things, even if the steering thing is just a coincidence. What would shut off the fuel pump but let it come back on when it cools down?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mxdude914 @ May 26 2005, 12:11 AM)
What would shut off the fuel pump but let it come back on when it cools down?

bad fuel pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.