Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ESAB Spoolarc Easy Grind MIG wire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I've been reading about Easy Grind MIG wire on other forums and it sounds like it might be worth the expense for butt welding non-structural body sheet metal. People claim that it is softer and can be worked similar to a TIG weld. I'll take any help I can get to produce perfect butt welds. It's pretty spendy though. Anyone have any experience or opinions to share?
burton73
Hi Brent,

How much more can it cost? It sounds good. What size would you use .025?

I may be cutting the rear fender of my V8 car to pump out a flair for a 8 inch wheel

Bob B
mb911
Works the same.. I actually used 2 spools of it.. Not anything exciting..
bbrock
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 24 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Hi Brent,

I may be cutting the rear fender of my V8 car to pump out a flair for a 8 inch wheel

Bob B

I'd use .023. It is available in .023, .030, and .035. It is $67 for an 11 lb. spool. $80 once shipping is added. I haven't seen 2 lb. spools unfortunately. Might be able to eliminate shipping by ordering through the local welding supply. They only have .030 in stock.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2017, 10:01 AM) *

Well that is disappointing. I haven't figured out how to avoid shrinkage around my butt welds on sheet metal so I still get a few annoying little lines around the weld after grinding. I read on H.A.M.B. that you could use a hammer and dolly on this stuff to restretch the weld like you can with TIG. Not so?
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 24 2017, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 24 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Hi Brent,

Bob B

I'd use .023. It is available in .023, .030, and .035. It is $67 for an 11 lb. spool. $80 once shipping is added. I haven't seen 2 lb. spools unfortunately. Might be able to eliminate shipping by ordering through the local welding supply. They only have .030 in stock.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2017, 10:01 AM) *

Well that is disappointing. I haven't figured out how to avoid shrinkage around my butt welds on sheet metal so I still get a few annoying little lines around the weld after grinding. I read on H.A.M.B. that you could use a hammer and dolly on this stuff to restretch the weld like you can with TIG. Not so?

The funny thing is that you will always get shrinkage .. What I do is heat with an oxy torch after welding and ground and hit with a hammer and dolly..

Don't let people tell you TIG is the way to go with welding parts on the car.. It just keeps the weld size smaller.. Less grinding..

Keep in mind I have thousands and thousands of hours welding so experience plays a factor.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2017, 12:55 PM) *

The funny thing is that you will always get shrinkage .. What I do is heat with an oxy torch after welding and ground and hit with a hammer and dolly..

How hot do you heat it? I don't have an oxy-torch but I have MAPP. Do you think that would work? Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 24 2017, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2017, 12:55 PM) *

How hot do you heat it? I don't have an oxy-torch but I have MAPP. Do you think that would work? Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience. beerchug.gif

Maybe but you need to stress relieve it so a dull red color is preferred when heating.
jd74914
Dull red and let it cool down nice and slowly. smile.gif

That's how we stress relieve chromoly tube frames. Sometimes the really critical joints even get insulation.
mb911
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 24 2017, 02:32 PM) *

Dull red and let it cool down nice and slowly. smile.gif

That's how we stress relieve chromoly tube frames. Sometimes the really critical joints even get insulation.

agree.gif

Thats how we did fuselages out of 4130
bbrock
thumb3d.gif Thanks guys! I think MAPP should be able to do dull red.
jd74914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 24 2017, 05:54 PM) *

thumb3d.gif Thanks guys! I think MAPP should be able to do dull red.

Yep, you should be fine. It might just take a little longer, but it should get there.
burton73
I need to see a UTube on this

Bob B
mb911
Tinman has a ton of youtube on this stuff.
daytona
Easy grind works well but as you mentioned; only for non-structural panels.
Bill.
Porcharu
Tinman is a huge proponent of oxy acetylene for this type of work. I have some of his videos of butt weiding sheet metal and using nothing but a hammer and dolly to get to paint ready. Of course he is a master of this stuff. The coolest one happens to be a Porsche race car fender that he takes a hatchet to and repairs it in about 20 minutes and this was an aluminum part.
914forme
So who is this TinMan, the one I found is building Rat Rods confused24.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 26 2017, 06:05 PM) *

So who is this TinMan, the one I found is building Rat Rods confused24.gif

https://www.tinmantech.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.