Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snail numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
2.0 stock with dellortos.
Valve adjustment is completed and getting ready to sync the carburetors. Linkage is disconnected Right now before any adjustments. one and two cylinders are sitting equally a hair under 6. Numbers four and three are sitting on seven and five respectfully

Using the snail to sync the carbs is there a standard number to shoot for and what is the best rpm while syncing the carbs
iankarr
My 2056 with weber IDF 40s and 34 vents pulled 7 across the board once all tuned and synched up.
nditiz1
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Oct 24 2017, 08:52 AM) *

My 2056 with weber IDF 40s and 34 vents pulled 7 across the board once all tuned and synched up.

I wondered the same thing. My 2056 with unknown carb cam and weber 40 IDFs (28 vents) is 5. That brings the idle to 1000. I could increase them or decrease them to move the idle up or down. Not real sure where it should sit so I set them to just under 5 for 950.
bandjoey
With dead on valves set cold, timing set for carbs, idle 1000 rpm on a sun meter, I get 1,2,3 at 5 and 4 at 6. Motor warmed up properly too. Runs great. That all I have time for today. I'll dig out the CB book later to look at 4 again.
bandjoey
Sorry. Duplicate
yeahmag
It’s more important that all cylinders are equal than the actual number.
ottox914
Differences in engine configuration can affect the "number". Gauge accuracy will be a factor in the "number" as well. Having the number matching is the thing here. All 4 holes drawing the same amount of air makes for a more balanced engine. Easier to tune, more powerful, smoother running.
bandjoey
TIMING GOOF OR OK?
Set the timing at 3500rpm and 35* due to a brain fart. Went out for a 5 mile up the freeway run. Pulls strong. Runs great. Now I think it should have been 27*. Move it back or run it. ??
yeahmag
Move it to 28BTDC for starters consider 30 max for now.
iankarr
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Oct 24 2017, 10:45 PM) *

Differences in engine configuration can affect the "number". Gauge accuracy will be a factor in the "number" as well. Having the number matching is the thing here. All 4 holes drawing the same amount of air makes for a more balanced engine. Easier to tune, more powerful, smoother running.

agree.gif
Consistency is key. Here's a good article on how to do a full tune...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/1...Carburetors.htm
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Oct 24 2017, 07:45 PM) *

agree.gif All mine hover around 5. biggrin.gif
914EURO
Good information here. Thanks.
Ansbacher
I am running 40 IDFs with 32 vents. I measure 5 at 950 RPM idle. As far as advance goes, I have NEVER gotten my car to run decently below 32 degrees advance. The 27 degree number comes from a car with original fuel injection installed, not carburetors. Carbs just need more advance from my experience.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0 L
McMark
agree.gif The number is completely irrelevant. Your engine configuration and idle speed will dictate the number. So if you're seeing 7 and everyone you talk to says 5, don't fret! Focus on matching numbers, at idle and off idle. Syncing the carbs at idle is less valuable than consistent sync through the range of throttle. And just because it's sync'd at idle doesn't mean it's sync'd anywhere else.
Kansas 914
You could have a slightly twisted throttle plate shaft so one barrel is "off" a bit.

If you don't have the gas pedal stop at the pedal board adjusted correctly you can pull too much on the linkage (depending on what type you have) and twist the shaft a hair. If this is the case you will never get the two cylinders in sync.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.