Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I am going to be powdercoating my polished cookie cutters with clear. Should I stop before the part of the wheel that contacts the tire, or should I powdercoat that too? What I'm worried about is potential damage from tire installation equipment. Does the clear on professionally clear coated wheels go under the lip?

Also, what brand of clear powder is the best?
Joe Bob
Clear is almost as durable as the solid colors...since it's electrostatically applied it's hard to mask. "I" would coat everything...front and back, lips and even inside where the air for the tire is....

My black set have been mounted twice...not a chip.
mihai914
agree.gif When you buy some painted aftermarket wheel it is painted all over even where the tire sits on the rim. Usually there is issues with chromed wheels as it can flake off and screw the sealing area.

Mihai
bondo
Ok, cool. I'll just coat it all. I've gotten pretty good at removing masking tape without disturbing the powder, but it is alot more work. Of course I'll be doing the back side black, so there will be some masking there... but not too much.
McMark
It's also a good idea to coat the whole thing because corrosion on the bead area will keep a tire from sealing. Probably not an issue with this set of tires, but the next set probably will. Condensation forms in the tires all the time. Cold day + driving = hot tires + condensation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.