Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to beg borrow or rent!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
I was hoping I could find someone in the North Los Angeles area ie San Fernando Valley, Burbank and Glendale.

I am about to paint my front lid. I painted my rear lid on a fender stand and did not do a good job on the underside.

I know I can get both sides painted hanging the lid on an A-frame paint stand.
I would only need it 2 - 3 days at most, I can pick it up in my pick up and return it to you.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
mgphoto
Blocked wet sanded and ready for paint.

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
I'm looking for something like this.

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 24 2017, 12:07 PM) *

I was hoping I could find someone in the North Los Angeles area ie San Fernando Valley, Burbank and Glendale.

I am about to paint my front lid. I painted my rear lid on a fender stand and did not do a good job on the underside.

I would only need it 2 - 3 days at most, I can pick it up in my pick up and return it to you.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I thought it was easier to paint flat. My problem with these is always dust and debris from under the iunderside spider frame. But if you paint that first and let it cure you can mask it and then go for the big flat side.
ValcoOscar
I have one you can borrow for a few days if you are willing to pick up in Huntington Park 90255.

PM me if interested

Oscar
Elliot Cannon
Make one out of PVC pipe. Cheap, easy and when done you can keep it for other uses or just toss it. biggrin.gif
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 24 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Make one out of PVC pipe. Cheap, easy and when done you can keep it for other uses or just toss it. biggrin.gif

agree.gif that's what I was thinking. you could even take it apart when done and store it in the corner.
mgphoto
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 24 2017, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 24 2017, 12:07 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I thought it was easier to paint flat. My problem with these is always dust and debris from under the iunderside spider frame. But if you paint that first and let it cure you can mask it and then go for the big flat side.

Hey worn,
I had the lid garnet blasted, there were some leftover garnet bits but the reason I bought this lid was the fact that the inner bracing was still connected to the outer skin, and there wasn't much inside the bracing. I spent a lot of time with my original rear lid, adding adheasive between the brace and the skin to add strength and stability to the lid, which was sat on a number of times, this was gonna be a piece of cake.

Laying it flat could be easier but not faster, I said I would get around to the inside of the rear lid, but 6 months later, not done.

It took me 6 weeks to finish the rear lid, I am on week 3 and holding for the wind.
mgphoto
Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Garnet blasted except for the center section to prevent warping.
Than aircraft stripper, tape ridge prevents stripper from running under lip of panel.

Lower front had filler not removed by blasting, I removed the filler with the Wurth DBS3600.

Click to view attachment
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 24 2017, 01:55 PM) *

I'm looking for something like this.

Click to view attachment

Craigslist. Look for someone giving away an old swingset.
whitetwinturbo
Home Depot pvc time beer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Oct 25 2017, 08:03 PM) *

Home Depot pvc time beer.gif

Just make sure to support the legs so they don't spread open!
mgphoto
Have to thank ValcoOscar, got it painted yesterday, not much sun today.
mgphoto
Click to view attachment
rjames
I see more sanding in your future.

I've always wanted to pain my car myself, but afraid of how much work it would really be. I'm impressed with anyone willing to take it on.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 30 2017, 10:20 AM) *

No worries Mike..glad I could help out.

Take your time returning frame...let your hood cure as much as possible.

Next week anytime is fine.

Oscar

mgphoto
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 30 2017, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 30 2017, 10:20 AM) *

No worries Mike..glad I could help out.

Take your time returning frame...let your hood cure as much as possible.

Next week anytime is fine.

Oscar

Thanks again Oscar.
Rand
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 30 2017, 11:37 AM) *
I see more sanding in your future.

Oof, no kidding. Not sure this frame helped anyone except the runs.
Laying flat and painting each side on different days may have been a better choice.

Could have just hooked it on the gutter with those s hooks if you paint outside. (It may sound like I'm giving you a hard time... take that with a grain of salt.)

I painted my first car outside. I thought it was smart to paint early in the morning because it was calm. I didn't think about bugs. Had a couple land on it, and then struggle to their death, leaving a wake in the paint and a nice nugget at the end. Ugh.

Sometimes we do things thinking it's a good idea and it backfires.
mgphoto
Gonna look a lot better than this, when I'm done.

Click to view attachment
Rand
No doubt, and I admire you for tackling this. No satisfaction like DIY satisfaction.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 31 2017, 03:52 PM) *

No doubt, and I admire you for tackling this. No satisfaction like DIY satisfaction.

This is a piece of cake compared to what I've already accomplished.

Click to view attachment

ValcoOscar
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

FYI…

Mike is a straight up guy and I applaud him for tackling his resto and paint mostly by himself.

As promised he returned the paint frame I lent him and he surprised me with a little unexpected gift.

Thank you Mike…..

Glad I could help our fellow teener…great community!!!

Oscar

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.