Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mounting pedal set - studs off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Ok so I asked about the studs coming through the floorboards to mount the pedal set before. So some here told me it was bolts going into / through the floor.

the photos pretty much confirm they are studs - added photos thanks 76-914

anyway so I'm putting in a pedal set redone by Bruce, and he did a fantastic job BTW.

however, I can not make the studs coming through the floor match up to the elongated mounting slots in the pedal base. I even went so far as to push the 2 MC studs through the firewall , and snugged em down, hoping to pull the pedal set as far foward as possible, but the studs are still about 2/3 of a width short of the holes. I have no idea why? perhaps pounding on the studs to drive them out (somebody told me they were bolts) might have bent them?

best way to fix? I have thought about drilling em out, remounting them, replacing with bolts with nuts welded - all sorts of ideas, but now I'm thinking the simplest, most direct fix is to simply elongate the mounting plate slots a bit,

thanks for any ideas in advance Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Oct 24 2017, 02:37 PM) *

Ok so I asked about the studs coming through the floorboards to mount the pedal set before. So some here told me it was bolts going into / through the floor.

the photos pretty much confirm they are studs -

Ah crud - do you really have to move photos to dump site, then get a URL and post that? can't we just cut and paste? (apparently not, at least i can't find a way)

anyway so I'm putting in a pedal set redone by Bruce, and he did a fantastic job BTW.

however, I can not make the studs coming through the floor match up to the elongated mounting slots in the pedal base. I even went so far as to push the 2 MC studs through the firewall , and snugged em down, hoping to pull the pedal set as far foward as possible, but the studs are still about 2/3 of a width short of the holes. I have no idea why? perhaps pounding on the studs to drive them out (somebody told me they were bolts) might have bent them?

regardless, best way to fix? I have thought about drilling em out, remounting them, replacing with bolts with nuts welded - all sorts of ideas, but now I'm thinking the simplest, most direct fix is to simply elongate the mounting plate slots a bit,

like i said i have pictures and everything, but they reside on my computer instead of the interweb, and it's probably not worth it to move em, get an address them embed those.

thanks for any ideas in advance

In your post click on edit, then select full edit. Then scroll down left side bottom, click on attachment icon. You will then have the ability to go to the file where your pic is located. Double click that pic then hit "add this" and that file will into a box just below. Then click add to post. Next click on the green box marked complete edit.
The bolts are probably bent and not square with one another. Spread them or pull them together a little more to fit. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
Bent firewall? Did you have any problem getting the old one out?

Edit: I was working on some new pedal sets and found the slot length different on two pedal sets. I have never seen this before or had anyone reports it as a problem.
I can send you a housing or and let you swap it our, You elongated the holes in yours or I can build a complete set and send it to you.
bdstone914
bump
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 25 2017, 06:25 AM) *

bump

Hey Bruce, I added pictures to my post so you can see it. interesting that you have identified 2 different slot lengths. if i had the short ones, that might explain the problem, but , Just judging by the photo, it looks to me like i already have the Long slots - but can you give me a measurement length, as well as a couple of measurements from the end of the plate, so I can confirm.

to answer a previous Q, i don't think the firewall is bent in, does not look damaged in any way, but if you look at the photo of the studs, maybe the inboard one is bent? hard to tell because of the angle of the photo.

don't recall any particular issues in removing the pedals, other than I had to castrate the vehicle - IE cut off the nuts!

carl
bdstone914
Pics of long and short hole housings. Note where the hole terminate.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 25 2017, 02:19 PM) *

Pics of long and short hole housings. Note where the hole terminate.

OK Bruce, thats where the issue is, I have the mounting plate with the shorter holes. I am thinking it would probably be easiest just to grab a grinding stone and lengthen em up, I'm not building a concourse car.

Let me give that a try, unlerss someone here has any advise to the contrary
burton73
Do you have a drill press
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 27 2017, 03:08 PM) *

Do you have a drill press

yeah, but that would require stripping off all the parts etc. I just grabbed my die grinder, used the bit that looks like a flower bud (I have no idea what each shape is for!) and in about 3 minutes , elongated the holes. pedal set dropped right in over the studs - result, as Edd China used to say! - and on the to next project!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.