Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Ignition Lock Cylinder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
The cam on mine is worn down and not turning the ignition switch as far as it needs to be turned.
Looking for a replacement that matches the late model (1975). Can't seem to find one. Plenty of similar Chinese made ones for other VWs that will fit but just look ghetto.
If no factory style left then which brand of the other is good quality and uses a 914 type key?
76-914
PM Mark Heard aka 914sixer. He can always find oem parts. The Radar O'Reily of 914world. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I sent the one from my '71 to tweet. He fixed the lock and made me a new key - the old one was very worn down. About a 1 week turn around. Works perfectly now.
TheCabinetmaker
I have a couple of 75/76 ignition assemblies and can rekey it too your key.
914Sixer
I know where there is one in Europe but they want 360 Euros. Any 72-74 lock with the chrome cap will work, you just have to use the 75-76 bottom.
Chris914n6
Disclaimer: I'm a CSOB smile.gif I had some eBay bucks to burn so I bought an $8 924/944 early lock.

1st, it fits in a 75 housing.
2nd, it's a POS as far as quality.
3rd, see pics...

Comparing both locks.
IPB Image

Differences in the piece I needed to replace.
IPB Image

Grind off protrusion mod.
IPB Image

Worn out piece replaced.
IPB Image
Mikey914
Is it nice having to spend an hour modifying a brand new part that doesn't fit. When it should be something that takes you about 10 seconds to screw it together. I don't know about you but my time is worth something.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 4 2018, 12:51 PM) *

Is it nice having to spend an hour modifying a brand new part that doesn't fit. When it should be something that takes you about 10 seconds to screw it together. I don't know about you but my time is worth something.

First, I couldn't find a matching 75 914 lock.
Second, all my other locks are worn in the same place, so likely others are to. Intermittent starter engagement problems anyone?
Third, it took me less time than it would take you to rekey a new replacement, since there is no screwing involved poke.gif
Fourth, slow day at work so I stayed productive.
TheCabinetmaker
Ignition from a 75 and later bus, and rabbits are plug and play with a 75/76 914
gothspeed
Can those 75 & later vw bus ignition tumblers be made to work in a 73' ignition?
jim_hoyland
Seems like the later switch is different...Switch on right is lay; left is pre-75 and the middle one is what I found after opening up a switch.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 6 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Can those 75 & later vw bus ignition tumblers be made to work in a 73' ignition?

No
gothspeed
Are the front bonnet latch keyed tumblers still available?
Chris914n6
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 7 2018, 07:46 PM) *

Are the front bonnet latch keyed tumblers still available?

Yes, same tumblers in all of the locks on the car. Tweet sells new ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.