Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Blinker indicators on dash both blink intermittently
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Hi all, I am a newbie here and to the world of 914's. When I bought the signal orange 914 with a 1.7 FI the PO said there was an electrical gremlin in the car. He gave me lots of extra fuses but none have blown. The problem is when I am driving the car the green indicator arrows both light up at about half brightness at the same time and I can hear a buzzing or some sort of electrical sound down near the fuse panel. There was a post here about maybe a bad relay could be the issue so should I just order a new relay and see if that fixes the problem or should I do some troubleshooting first?

The problem is, it is hard to repeat the problem. Last weekend when it happened I pulled over to the side of the road and was kneeling next to the car with my ear toward the fuse block under the steering wheel area. It sounds like something electrical is going on there. Had to turn around and bring the car home and swap cars so I would not be late to where I was headed. This Sunday I am hoping to get a handle on this. The car drives great for an hour then acts up. Other times it acts up after 10 min. of driving. Starting to drive me crazy. Also, when it is acting up if I turn on left or right turn signal all starts working fine till I turn off the turn signal. What could possibly cause this? All lamps are working good by the way.
Spoke
It sounds like the flasher relay is failing or has failed.

Do the left and right turnsignals blink like expected? The flasher relay also doubles as a brake master cylinder warning indicator.
tmc914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 26 2017, 08:53 PM) *

It sounds like the flasher relay is failing or has failed.

Do the left and right turnsignals blink like expected? The flasher relay also doubles as a brake master cylinder warning indicator.

Yes, they work fine, even when the blinkers start acting up. If I turn either turn signal on the blinker lights go back to normal operation and blink fine. Then when I turn the turn signal off the blinker indicators may continue to act up or stop for a bit then act up a few min. later. If it was a bad relay I would not expect it to act up, then always work when the turn signals are used then act up every so often.
Dave_Darling
When the relay starts to go, very odd things happen. See if you can pick up a good flasher relay. There may be someone local willing to loan you one for troubleshooting, as well.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.