Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Timing Light Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
No good deed goes unpunished...

At some point I lent my trusty, old timing light (dial back style) to someone. No idea who and no one so far has offered to return it. So, I need a new one. Couple of problems though.

* Most new(er) dial back and (all) digital lights reportedly don't work with a multi-spark CDI ignition system.
* Assuming I need to now buy a "simple" (non-advance) light. How the hell do I know what my timing is set at?

Certainly I can hit the 27 BTDC mark and goof around from there, but I'd really like to know EXACTLY what my timing is set at!

What do others with an MSD or Mallory use? If using a "simple" light, how do you hit, say 28-30 BTDC?

-Aaron
Dave_Darling
If you're using a non-dial timing light, the best way to tell what the timing is would be to use a timing scale. Much easier in a Bug, though, as the crank pulley is easily visible from the engine lid opening. Note that some of the Type IV Buses had timing scales bolted onto the fan shroud. Doesn't help that much in a 914, though.

You can paint the edges of the fan so you can see different marks through the timing hole. You get a somewhat limited resolution that way, but you can estimate how far between marks you currently are and get some appreciation of your current timing that way...

--DD
Mueller
As posted on your FB post, check out Pelican for their tech article with template for those numbers.

No idea on the CDI or how to bypass or trick it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.pdf
Montreal914
Used one... confused24.gif

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/tls/d...6355208084.html
yeahmag
Math rules... I was able to use the Pelican Parts template (data) and the following website to calculate the distances for 28 BTDC and 32 BTDC

28 = 2.1259"
30 = 2.2778"

I used the distance provided for the arc (2.05") and the degrees of the arc (27) to find the radius (4.3502"). From there, you can calculate and arc length based on any degree you want!

http://1728.org/radians.htm

Now to make a template and make some marks on the fan.
yeahmag
That's the light I had!

-Aaron

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 27 2017, 08:20 PM) *

Montreal914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 27 2017, 08:29 PM) *

That's the light I had!

-Aaron

Might be yours... rolleyes.gif
yeahmag
Here's 28 BTDC and 30 BTDC

Click to view attachment
michael7810
Does anyone know where to get a replacement clamp-style pickup for an old timing light? Mine disintegrated from age and I can get it to work with rubber bands and tape but it's a royal PITA. I have MSD and was going to buy a new light but after reading this I need to keep my old one going. Thanks
bandjoey
My 2cents. Since I only use it every couple years. The HF light with dial adjustable works for me.
johnhora
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 27 2017, 07:29 PM) *

That's the light I had!

-Aaron

I have one of those lights. They are great..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.