Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Cairo94507
How cool to see all those parts laid out ready for installation. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
seems like such a small thing but it will be nice to have squirters that work
new door handles that have never been ised , won them at Okteenerfest in one of the drawings a couple years ago.
DRPHIL914
led lighting conversion gauge cluster- now i hope to have this in before the trip but inwill leave it for last as it is not a necessity.

I sorted theu the brake line installation and will have to put a different fastener in to hold lines in place. close to being able to put the air box back in , i have to go get new warer hose for squirters and then i can put the fresh air box in - then tank and the lines -
DRPHIL914
took a break from the car for a few days and spent today putting some of the new heat wxchanger parts on. Mr. Stone had some S, & J tubes powdercoated , and the hardware zinc plates of course,
along with the flapper boxes. This was much easier than doing it under the car.
for some reason i cant find the engine tin grommets i ordered!
Also in the picture is new engine bar mounting hardware.
billh1963
Looking great, Phil!
DRPHIL914
before the rain set in today i also put the final coat of paint on the rocker panels.
i will probably be for sale later in but will go on the car for now. I have not decided for sure, as i have a set of brand new reproduction ones from AA, and those will need prime and paint and i am not sure i will have time to tackle that in the next 6 weeks before Okteenerfest. These had some repair done but you would not know it , they look perfect.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 28 2018, 04:26 PM) *

Looking great, Phil!

thanks, getting closer, id like to get all this done today so that the motor is ready to go back in the car next weekend.- need to finish fuel lines and put the engine bay gaskets in, put the fresh air box in and the tank can go back in. All new FI hose too, not taking any chances. your car get picked up yet? (BB) I heard thst mark changed his mind and decided to keep it ! - maybe he will five you the 912 instead- there’s a car you dont have yet, Bill!
DRPHIL914
drivers side heat tubes all in place , of course new screws and hardware and finally have all the proper shields too.
DRPHIL914
one more - also cleaned up the head light plastic shrouds
DRPHIL914
Getting close, but lots still to do, and a few more parts to replace.
a few things I need:
-fresh air box fan assembly: mine is ok, but has never worked correctly. I took it apart completely this weekend to inspect and clean. The spring things on back side of plug(I think these are the 'resistors' that control the 3 speeds) look fine, so maybe its not the issue. Ebay has a fan and motor assembly that is OEM Behr, but its $280!!!!! - I called Porsche and its $380 just for the motor from them lol!!
I also found a nice clean blower on ebay it looks pretty nice and clean but again its like $280 for used with the housing.
I ordered the seal kit from 914 rubber for the flapper seal and top of the housing and between intake and blower assembly seal, but the one fan seal Mark said they do not make at this time- this is the seal that goes all the way around the fan.

- I just don't know if its worth the expense and the trouble to try and restore this stupid thing- has anyone put in a different type of fan/blower? I came across an idea: our local boat house and boating supply has several sizes of bilge fans. they go inline but could be modified , and the smaller one looks like it could be mounted up under the upper half box and then have a "T" out to blow into the cabin, onto the windshield- this would at least allow some way to have airflow to defog the window when driving in rain etc. Any other ideas on this??
- I will post a picture of the gasket on the outer rim of the fan - if someone has a used one in better shape that would be great. -

also I really need to sell some parts to help pay for the rest of what I have left- the wife is cutting me off lol!
- I have listed in classifieds a really nice rear bumper, very very nice Bosch fog lights for late cars, and I have a rust free front steel valence and rear valence( not listed yet but will sell for $150 each not restored fully yet, once I do that I will list them for $250 each).
I also have heater parts like J and S tubes etc that are decent shape, no rust.
-
The car is back up at paint shop getting some stuff touched up, I should have the whole drive train ready to go back in by the time it comes home this weekend.

end of short update, pics to follow.
IronHillRestorations
Nice work Phil! My only observation is that while the engine is out, you might consider replacing the alternator harness. I see scorching on the jacket. It might be OK, but I'll bet inside of that the insulation on the wire could be sketchy
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 1 2018, 11:15 AM) *

Nice work Phil! My only observation is that while the engine is out, you might consider replacing the alternator harness. I see scorching on the jacket. It might be OK, but I'll bet inside of that the insulation on the wire could be sketchy

yea i saw that too, i guess i should - i really should get a new alt., found that this is a bus alt, 50 amp not 55, so someone swapped it at some point.

ok so iguess i need a new alr with new harness!! anyone??
DRPHIL914
kok so this seel seems to be NLA and not made by 914rubber yet- anyone have a decent one? you can see that its a bit cracked and dried out.
DRPHIL914
been a long day already, drove 2 hours up to the shop and picked up the car again, took it up last week to get a few things soeted and touched up. got home and went to work! the front valence is on, next is the front bumper( this is my temporary one)
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 4 2018, 01:42 PM) *

been a long day already, drove 2 hours up to the shop and picked up the car again, took it up last week to get a few things soeted and touched up. got home and went to work! the front valence is on, next is the front bumper( this is my temporary one)

What a car! If you get jammed for time for Okteenerfest my offer is still good. This car has to be there. I would leave mine at home to be sure everyone gets to see this!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 4 2018, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 4 2018, 01:42 PM) *

What a car! If you get jammed for time for Okteenerfest my offer is still good. This car has to be there. I would leave mine at home to be sure everyone gets to see this!

thanks for the offer, we will se where i am in a couple weeks. i am going to start at the front and work my way back.

I need to figure out a solution on how to block the holes left behind from the old bumper shocks.
I am most overwelmed with the rebuilding of the doors- i have all new hardware and seals including door stay kit- well everything but the actuator/scissors mechanisms.
putting the drive train back in and getting all thst ready seems like an easier job since i have done that before
DRPHIL914
today i had a couple hours after yard work to mount headlight covers, eyelids and lashes.
i still dont know if the front bumper will be done on time so i put the temp one on, so it can go like this if necessary- i am having a heck of a time ligning up the rubber buttons that hold the eyelash trims in( is that what they are called??)
anyway , they are in place - next up will be the side markers and the turnsignal buckets and connections. once those are in finish the fuel line install and put engine shelf seals in place,
DRPHIL914
right(passenger side)
DRPHIL914
open rt
DRPHIL914
front with bunper in
billh1963
Looks great, Phil!
DRPHIL914
next up- new rubber wire covers for the light wiring-out with the old
DRPHIL914
in with the new
DRPHIL914
anyone have a quick link to what wires go where on the tuen signal bucket ? and is there a right and left or does it matter?? i dont remember it was months ago
when i pulled this stuff.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 5 2018, 07:30 PM) *

Looks great, Phil!

ive had some help with the hard to reach spots under the car —-
rolleyes.gif
DRPHIL914
hope its right- google search, link found to someones drawing of them labled etc and here we are , drivers side done!
inside with new boots from 914rubber of course!!
DRPHIL914
ok so this is an NOS Hella side marker i bought from a member - i know someone here thought paying $100 or more was too high but have you seen any NOS perfect side marker lights lately?

freaking took over an hour to do that side!!!
oh and of course the beautiful turn signal bucket with nice shiny insides were feom Brad Meuyer from 914LTD in Peoria Illinois( the S is silent!)
DRPHIL914
right side took about half the time, side marker and the turn signal are in,
DRPHIL914
so the spare and the trunk pad are in, going to call it done for tonight-
DRPHIL914
refinished the top
DRPHIL914
i took the new 6” rims over and had the tires pulled from the 7” that were on the rear and put them on the new 6” i have had in a box for thr past year, mounted them with new chrome nuts
DRPHIL914
finally got the fuel lines put in and finished up. had a heck of a time with them wanting to cross over and get stuck in the tunnel, then i could not get them thru the front geommet, so i enlisted the help of my 14 year old daughter and we got it done- i had them in 2 weeks ago but they were cossed over - got it right now. Does it matter which one you use for high pressure and which one you ise for low? so long as you keep it straight on both ends?
DRPHIL914
not the proudest of the engine bay area. of course everything will have new seals and grommets and so on, but I did not strip down to metal the whole thing. I just didn't have the money to do a full rotisserie restoration- not a show car- no rust, the hell hole is clean and some areas were cleaned reprimed and painted, - in retrospect I wish I had soda blasted the whole area and stripped it all the way and repainted like now - but really not necessary - we did strip down and get off all of the undercoating from bottom of rear trunk and it was primed and painted, that was due to stripping out the whole trunk and fixing some rust spots at the rear bottom so it made sense to do that.

Got done with those lines last night about midnight!
mepstein
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 7 2018, 08:17 AM) *

not the proudest of the engine bay area. of course everything will have new seals and grommets and so on, but I did not strip down to metal the whole thing. I just didn't have the money to do a full rotisserie restoration- not a show car- no rust, the hell hole is clean and some areas were cleaned reprimed and painted, - in retrospect I wish I had soda blasted the whole area and stripped it all the way and repainted like now - but really not necessary - we did strip down and get off all of the undercoating from bottom of rear trunk and it was primed and painted, that was due to stripping out the whole trunk and fixing some rust spots at the rear bottom so it made sense to do that.

Once everything goes in, engine, battery, firewall pad, etc, you will hardly see the so so spots. It's like obsessing on the floorpan just to cover it up with seats and carpet. The car will look great when done.
DRPHIL914
lots I can do next but I think getting my front fresh air box rebuilt the rest of the way and new air tubing in place is the thing to get done next. I have to do that in order to then put the gas tank in- I am waiting for my new fuel filter to arrive. and sadly have waited a week for my new window trim to arrive. Once I have the new fan/motor assembly I will get that put back together with the new seals and install- this will probably not happen for another week- in the mean time I can go back to the trunk and get the wiring rewrapped and install the tail lights. at some point I have to get the targa vinyl on but I have yet to procure the new trim pieces- Spent a lot on stuff this month already with new windshield and windshield trim, and like 4 orders from 914rubber, waiting on my new bumper tops, alternator harness and other bits to be shipped out!(Scott and Mark, if you are listening I have not had a response from my email last week or yesterday!!!!!)
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 7 2018, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 7 2018, 08:17 AM) *

Once everything goes in, engine, battery, firewall pad, etc, you will hardly see the so so spots. It's like obsessing on the floorpan just to cover it up with seats and carpet. The car will look great when done.

Yes I agree, kind of the feeling I have about that- I have new german carpet going in and the vinyl etc that will cover all the floor etc up, and then my nice tartan seats that I did 2 years ago will look super with the new carpet!. What I would like to do would be to finish off the interior by getting the recover kit for the back pad. my original back pad foam was find but the vinyl shot and dried up, so it needs it- its been boxed up for 5 years, I have the fiberglass back structure that was covered with thin foam and sport vinyl and it looks fine- I did that when I had the 993 seats in the car and need the extra room for those larger seats. But that project will not get done before next month.... I don't think.....
DRPHIL914
last night i installed the rear window, tonight i cleaned up the dust in the trunk, and cleaned and re wrapped the wires, put in new targa top holders, installed the tail lights tonight, then engine compartment tin seals,
DRPHIL914
refreshed
DRPHIL914
originally i was not going to do the undersides of front and rear trunk lids but mike just did them anyway,
DRPHIL914
inderside could havw been done better- but this is way better than it was.

i also installed new 914rubber air diverters on the rear floor pan ,
DRPHIL914
issues with fitment in triangle seal and the adjustment screw rusted in place kept me from gettimg windows in, but new outer door handles and locks wer installed. Also on todays project list was engine lid, so new outside edge and gasket that goes between the mesh and the lid.
DRPHIL914
new window trim arrived
DRPHIL914
tear valance intalled.
DRPHIL914
new spare acquired today-
DRPHIL914
new handles , acquired via Okteenerfest,
DRPHIL914
old door stay pulled out
DRPHIL914
new parts installed- new stay new bushings, and springs- the old one was missing the plastic roller,
DRPHIL914
this is what was left of the outer door fuzzy seal-
DRPHIL914
engine bay seals are in,
DRPHIL914
making my final list of small stuff that need to be acquired to finish up( i'm sure other stuff will come up)

1. new accelerator cable - where can i get one fast?, new rear trunk insulation pad,
- engine compartment sound pad -
2. period correct radio - coming soon from 914sixer
3. front bumper- coming in from Chrome this week
4. install window triangle seal , ugh
5. run wires for the cylinder head tem gauge i bought
6. interior installation
7. figure out how to adjust drivers door striker to get door to line up, when latched its still out by 1/8" - passenger side is perfect.
8. Install motor!

what am i forgetting? - rear targa trim pieces- small upper side piece and the back curved trim part.

touch ups. ,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.