Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking valve cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdijoe
Hello, well I never had an oil leak untill I got a valve adust ( which it needed) , previous owner had sealant on gasket..so we left it off and now we have a leak...I put sealant on again and leak is lessened but it is still there nonetheless...any suggestions...sealant type or new valve cover or what ? thanks in advance...
scooter311
Hello sir
May I suggest a thorough cleaning of the valve cover and contact area of the head from any goo or splooge, then a new gasket with no sealer. Take care that teh gasket doesn't slip when putting it back together, and that the pesky bail bar is still attatched to the head in its little holes on either side. As long as she's-a put in properly, she shouldn't leak.
Good luck!

914helo
I second scooter's recommendation. You don't need any sealant or RTV with the gasket. The gasket only works. I guess you could have a warped valve cover. idea.gif Does it look bent?
SirAndy
QUOTE (jdijoe @ May 24 2005, 01:00 PM)
sealant type or new valve cover or what ?

no RTV, just a new gasket. make sure the VW logo on the cover is *upside down* ...

once the retainer clip is back in place, grab the cover and firmly pull it downward to make sure it's seated correctly!

wink.gif Andy
nebreitling
i would just add that i use a small amount of gasket sealent (not rtv, but some people do that) to hold down the gasket while putting it on the cylinder head. makes sure the gasket goes where it's supposed to.
scotty914
my suggestion is use copper spray gasket sealer, more as a glue. just give the gasket a light spray, let it dry, then put it on the head in the right place. it will stick if you wipe the head clean, then install the valve cover
jdijoe
thanks for the suggestions..I will try them and let you all know...I have also ordered a couple of used valve covers just in case....I noticed that when my mechanic put the valve cover back on he did not clean all the sealant off from previous owner...if PO had sealant on there i am going to assume a problem was already present...that why I ordered a couple of valve covers to replace...

My mechanic also sez I can order VW valve covers that are very reasonable in cost and new...is he right? I have a 74 2.0 ...
brp914
no RTV, just a new gasket. make sure the VW logo on the cover is *upside down* ...

I think you only mount it upside down when you have left and right covers swapped. In any event, mount such that the tab is on the bottom. Then lift the bale wire up, prying against the trailing arm. Problem is, only one end of the cover has a tab. Over time, the corner edge of the cover on the other end gets bent flat. That end of the cover wont seat properly, and can then leak. Restore the edge with a hammer.
SirAndy
QUOTE (brp914 @ May 24 2005, 08:16 PM)
I think you only mount it upside down when you have left and right covers swapped.

nope, logo upside down on *both* sides ...

wink.gif Andy
Always Looking
Mine leaked, so i installed new gasket with sealer - just to be sure. Worked OK - no leaks. Did another valve adjust and new gasket on old sealer - leaked like a sieve. Cleaned up sealer and installed new gasket - dry as a bone, now leaking from push rod tubes. Bought new push rod tube seals and installed (easy job) REALLY DRY AS A BONE. beerchug.gif

Now leaking from transmission wacko.gif

Conclusion 1: valve cover won't leak with new gasket and no goop
Conclusion 2: its always something...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.