Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 lug Mahle Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Dragon 914
I've been running Fuchs on my LE and now I remember why I didn't like the 4 lug Mahle wheels. Dust on them is horrible. It's impossible to keep them clean. Didn't have the same issue with the Fuchs.

Oh well, I wanted to go back to the stock look and don't like the tires on them. I need to wear them out so I can get new tires.
Mueller
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Oct 28 2017, 06:50 PM) *

I've been running Fuchs on my LE and now I remember why I didn't like the 4 lug Mahle wheels. Dust on them is horrible. It's impossible to keep them clean. Didn't have the same issue with the Fuchs.

Oh well, I wanted to go back to the stock look and don't like the tires on them. I need to wear them out so I can get new tires.

Bare finish on them? Maybe spray or coat them so they are smoother?

burton73
If the Mahle are cast, they may have a texture on them. The Fuchs are smooth and resists the dust collecting on them. You may try an anti-static spray on them. Novus 1 even though it is a plastic polish, makes the dust repel off of parts but not sure how it would be on a wheel?

Bob B
Front yard mechanic
Didn't the le come with painted wheels just paint them red and they will be worth 3000 biggrin.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 29 2017, 12:53 PM) *

If the Mahle are cast, they may have a texture on them. The Fuchs are smooth and resists the dust collecting on them. You may try an anti-static spray on them. Novus 1 even though it is a plastic polish, makes the dust repel off of parts but not sure how it would be on a wheel?

Bob B

Gents confused24.gif
Powder Coat them (Ford Silver) to correct the factory finish:wub: I plan to buy tires for my spare M's & have fun looking at my 914 with FUCHS or MOHLE's w00t.gif
Tom
Sea Dragon 914
My Mahles are for the LE and are painted. Their surface is pretty smooth. I also have a set of stock silver ones and the problem is the same. I'm guessing that the combination of the large spoke openings and the ridges creates some kind of air movement that draws the brake and/or tire dust to the outside of the rim. I find a huge difference in dust compared to the Fuchs.

Post if you find the same when switching wheels.
914work
Try some different pads
DRPHIL914
BDR repellant works and pads make a huge difference as well.

BTW love the Mahle wheels! I had a set and sold them with another car because my copper car has 5 lug- I almost wish id kept them and gone back to 4 lug - they are my favorite 914 wheel, 4 lug fuchs are a close #2, - many may disagree- Revolution wheels are very cool too. - anyway I digress - the BDR Brake dust repellant really does help keep the dust from sticking andmakes it a bit easier to wash off,
saigon71
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 29 2017, 01:55 PM) *

Bob B

Gents confused24.gif
Powder Coat them (Ford Silver) to correct the factory finish:wub: I plan to buy tires for my spare M's & have fun looking at my 914 with FUCHS or MOHLE's w00t.gif
Tom

Tom:

Those Mahle's look fantastic! I want to refinish mine this winter and love the idea of powder coating.

JOEPROPER
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 29 2017, 01:55 PM) *

Bob B

Gents confused24.gif
Tom

wub.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 2 2017, 08:28 AM) *

BDR repellant works and pads make a huge difference as well.

BTW love the Mahle wheels! I had a set and sold them with another car because my copper car has 5 lug- I almost wish id kept them and gone back to 4 lug - they are my favorite 914 wheel, 4 lug fuchs are a close #2, - many may disagree- Revolution wheels are very cool too. - anyway I digress - the BDR Brake dust repellant really does help keep the dust from sticking andmakes it a bit easier to wash off,

Just get 5 lug gas burners, not quite the same design, but of so drooley.gif
Rand

Just get 5 lug gas burners, not quite the same design, but of so drooley.gif

That's quite a switch. 4 lugs here. Just? lol
I love the 4-lug Mahles. The five lug burners are are uglier to me. It's all opinion though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.