Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I quit, day job...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
The past year or two my job has been primarily project related, meaning I had to have outside work rather than supporting my inside people (IT Support). My project work is not something that I can solicit, I am riding on the heels of my business groups to pull me in. That has all but stopped for a big city project I have been working on as they fired their head water guy at the city of Phoenix a few months ago.

So project work slowed down last year and I have been charging and utilizing my time internally - which they said a few months ago that I could only do xx amount of in house time, otherwise go home.

Been fun for the past few months as I had lots of time for projects but my vacation has ran out so it is feast or famine. I have a lot of things that have been piling up, most importantly a hefty attorney bill for my divorce.

At any rate, today was the day (almost 10 years) that I had to call it quits. I asked that they lay me off, as they hired me for full time employment and that is not what they can give me (so I can be eligable for unemployment while I look for work, and not get into trouble on divorce ). If they don't do that, consider this my notice. Time to cash out my retirement and get rid of the old skeletons in the closet and be able to work for less with more in my pocket.

Hard to do, but I know that this is the first step in a personal rebirth. Took me a few hours to pick up the phone and call today, I am still getting a little work but not enough to take care of all of lifes expenses.

Time for a fresh start, maybe I will get a paper route laugh.gif

Funny thing is that people are creatures of habit and hate change, but change is the only thing you can bank on in life. Take it in stride and be in control of your life, it sucks when others dictate how you live. Not that this is a woe as me, but rather - good for me - I hope....

Oh well, more time for MC braces or something - got another 16 made yesterday and today. Beer money drunk.gif
Mueller
Good luck...the hardest part is making the 1st step...I don't think I have the balls for it....

joea9146
Best of luck to you.... Just be careful cashing out the retiremnt Fund.
If you are going through a devorice you do not want to have a lot of cash on hand.
On paper you want your monthly expenses to exceede your income.

Also if this is a true retirement fund there a big Tax penalties for cashing out early.

tat2dphreak
best of luck man! it takes a huge set of brass ones! but happiness is worth more than money!
TravisNeff
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really wanted to wait until.... yeah right, I have another 2 months and I will never be able to dig out. I have too much pride to do BK without trying all I can - that still doesn't pay the rent by doing so.

AZ is a community property state, and I did a little contract with the soon to be ex. I split the house 50/50 when we sold it, she keeps her bills and I keep mine along with my 401K. That worked out to be about $100 in her favor - very equitable - strange how that worked. Of course she wants half of anything worth anything, and I get to keep anything that costs. Stoopid stuff. Got the contract notarized and got credit reports on both of us when I did it - because I knew what she would do.

At any rate, I know there is a big tax bill cashing out, but I will be able to eliminate all debt besides monthly expenses and have enough to refi or sell my jeep that I am upside down in. Gotta pay somewhere, and at this point that is the least of my worries. Don't want to start selling my stuff to make it month by month, or skip out on child support.

A lot of goodies have been aquired in the last 6 months, but a lifetime of wanting to get there. It would be a sad day when I started selling cars, tools and my Porsche hobby that I have tried so hard to regain.
Dr. Roger
I've got friends doing under the table I.T. work to support their families.
I've done a full time and a part time I.T. job at the same time to pay off debt.

I think you'll have no problems finding exactly what you want out there. Time wise.

I think the best thing to do is get on with a consulting company. Let them find your work and U still get the big bucks. Not as big as doing your own thing unless that's reall what U want to do... biggrin.gif

I did the divorce thing 5 years ago. It sucked. Since that time i've got a home of my own, a 4X4 for weekend getaways, a dirt bike (sold the old one when i got married) and my "Bebe" '74 914. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

FOLLOW YOUR BLISS!!!!!!

If you don't, no woman will want to be with you anyways. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
(I mean that in only the best way.......)
TravisNeff
laugh.gif My girlfriend still likes me.. even after the gas has passed....

Life gets better. I just need to make it that way. I had an interview with the city of Peoria last week for their water dept. in IT. Less pay, but a pension. If I dump my debts I can make a helluva lot less and live better than I do now. Where else are you going to get something like that in IT? It went well, I hope they call me back. I can make scratch and sniff posters of the wastewater treatment plants for xmas cards. I am sure it will be a hit!

Got a side job from my girlfriends work, small company without any in house IT. I'm on it!
anthony
I wouldn't cash out the retirement. Run the numbers and see how much less you will have in your account at retirement age. The amount will be large. IMO, retirement is for retirement unless you plan to drop dead on the job.
TravisNeff
You are correct in how much I would have in retirement. With little work, I can lose most everything. With no work, I lose it all. I do want to retire with money to do so, but I don't want to be in the poor house all the way there. Tough choice, something has to give to move ahead - or I can choose to go downhill even more. Believe me it was a tough choice, and your suggestion was the biggest I faced in doing so.
MecGen
Hi
Well I see you and the Atty got$ things settled, you know where you stand legally ? Good. The guys here know excactly what you are going thru, as myself (almost)...
Strange how fast we become learned in law, start saving all papers, phone numbers...we get scared, this is normal. I read you have children, so this is 2 kicks in the balls. I suspect you are are at the 1 year mark of the sepparation, this is the hardest time, many confusing thoughts...stay focused and don't make rational moves. I am not talking about your job, because it sounds like you were due for a change anyways, Calm.
The year of my sepparation, I tryed to sell my house and commercial assets, good friend of mine talked to me, and Murfy's law- real estate doubled in the last 4 years. I didn't sell. smilie_pokal.gif
I know where you are coming from in so many ways...devorse, quit my 10 year job to open a shop, selling shop (as of this week), going to be unemployed, vacation. ar15.gif
If you need to shoot the shit with someone that been there/done that, maybe its easier with someone you don't know...PM me.
There is an upside...
LOTS of devorsed WOMEN who want nothing but SEX
It does get better...(I know you hate hearing it)
Now you are in the CLUB When you pass thru this, and you will, the next time someone at the job is going thru this hell, you will feel an odd feeling of knowing you passed over and survived. Kinda like a morbid race to be rebirthed...I'm nuts screwy.gif I lost more then money in that one mueba.gif
Hey no shit, Good things are coming, trust me. You will be better after a new job.
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
morph
QUOTE (anthony @ May 24 2005, 01:27 PM)
I wouldn't cash out the retirement. Run the numbers and see how much less you will have in your account at retirement age. The amount will be large. IMO, retirement is for retirement unless you plan to drop dead on the job.

agree.gif
leave the retirement money"retirment money"
and you only live once
you might as well be happy.
james
TravisNeff
Joe, great words of wisdom. I think there are several times in your life that you need to start over, need, have to or whatever. I am looking up and this is one of the steps to do so. My job was conveinent, just as what you are saying.
TravisNeff
Go figure, just got a mass mailing from my higher ups. they need a TDY in STL, MO for the next 1 to 3 months. Funny how things go like this, but I am going to dig my heels in regardless. I am having more fun welding anyhow.
Toast
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 24 2005, 02:01 PM)
Don't want to start selling my stuff to make it month by month, or skip out on child support.  

A lot of goodies have been aquired in the last 6 months, but a lifetime of wanting to get there.  It would be a sad day when I started selling cars, tools and my Porsche hobby that I have tried so hard to regain.

Yea SLITS!!! slap.gif I think Travis is talking to you too!
Oops, I think I did a hijack. biggrin.gif

Carry on.....

Good Luck Travis. You are brave to take that first step. I have been battling the first step for about 4 years now. And then I wonder why I am still where I was then. huh.gif
TravisNeff
Hey I wasn't looking for a date with SLITS, his boobies are saggy and he doesn't pay for dinner...
redshift
I have never stopped being reborn. I like learning about new things. It's the fun part of turmoil.

I hope it's mostly painless, it's going to be ok, just not today... prolly.

You could always be an admin here, they are highly respected, and they are rolling in dough..

smile.gif

M
TravisNeff
Rolling in dough, A-aron told me his yeast died, or was that it was rampant?!?!?!? unsure.gif
redshift
Yes, Aaron is a big fat yeast roll.

M
TravisNeff
No kiddin' he stuffed in a finger and pulled out a corn dog. Oh, that's gross...
redshift
Yes.... see? You could write captions for "Chester the Molester' cartoons.

Look, my sig is just like your's now. smile.gif

M
TravisNeff
It all comes down to this, Miles...
redshift
LMAO!

I feel fast... It's a floater... must be Nike AIR..

M
9144guy
i work on porsche all day..every day, even in my sleep. im sick of it, i went to welding school for 3 years and became a supivisor over 2 cnc lasers,2 waterjets,1 lave and a cnc drill press , and welding dep. it was ok , but this isnt my calling,( i dont know how to find it)...i need to be one of the guys that bring the porsches to my shop, that can afford it...
i love building race cars ,been doing it since i was 14 on a dirt circle track
TravisNeff
QUOTE (9144guy @ May 24 2005, 04:46 PM)
i work on porsche all day..every day, even in my sleep. im sick of it, i went to welding school for 3 years and became a supivisor over 2 cnc lasers,2 waterjets,1 lave and a cnc drill press , and welding dep. it was ok , but this isnt my calling,( i dont know how to find it)...i need to be one of the guys that bring the porsches to my shop, that can afford it...
i love building race cars ,been doing it since i was 14 on a dirt circle track

I hear what you are saying. Sounds the same for your car stuff as I feel for my IT stuff. However, must not be too bad because you still hang around here, heh.
MoveQik
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ May 24 2005, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (anthony @ May 24 2005, 01:27 PM)

agree.gif
leave the retirement money"retirment money"
and you only live once
you might as well be happy.
james

Absolutely cash out the retirement stuff as a last resort. The MAN kills you on that. It's ashamed how they will take so much of what you have worked so hard to save. But obviously, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Good luck on landing in the right spot. I'm not a fatalist but my wife is. She always tells me things happen for a reason. Maybe she is right. I'm sure when you least expect it you will find what you are truly looking for. Good luck. beerchug.gif
bmcwilli
I am sure that you have spoken to your CPA, but if not, do so re: the retirement fund. There are ways that you can borrow against a 401K or other fund. Yes, it's still debt, but maybe you can construct things so that your cash flow works, and you don't have to liquidate all your rertirement savings.

You end taking a secured loan against the fund (usaully up to 50% of fund value), in some cases the interest is deductible.

Get some savvy help, as there are lots of scenarios to consider. The penalties on an outright cashout are ruinous, and you may be able to do yourself better.

OTOH..there is a real value in flushing debt. Main thing..TAKE YOUR TIME

Good luck
AZ914
Travis,

Good luck to you! Takes guts to up and walk...

Were you with the City of PHX or AZ Dept of Water Resources? (have a friend with them)
TravisNeff
Michael, I am starting to believe things happen for a reason these days. Have to put a little faith into something.

Bryan, I already have a loan against my 401k so I cant take out another. However, if I roll my 401k it would eliminate the loan I have and then I can borrow 1/2 of what is left - that is still an option.

Jason, I worked for an engineering/consutling firm - we were working with the city of phoenix water dept.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.