Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sway bar link bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
any tricks for getting the sway bar link bushings into the link? I heated them up, but not having any luck getting them into the link. ar15.gif
thanks
Joe
d914
alittle lube and a small press(harbor freight,cheap)
Joe Ricard
Set them in the midde of the drive way for an hour. That will soften the plastic then use a bench vise and work it in.

Used the hot deck of a Navy Destroyer to soften U-cup seals for the hydraulic systems
TravisNeff
Don't all the descriptions for those state you have to split them down the middle? I would try other means, but who knows?
redshift
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 24 2005, 08:26 PM)
Used the hot deck of a Navy Destroyer to soften U-cup seals for the hydraulic systems

dry.gif

Great, like we have those just laying around.

M
Cap'n Krusty
Qwitcher bitchin'! We used to use the cargo hold of a C130 to chill down our beer ................................................ Lotta beer, really cold .......................... The Cap'n

As for the cups, I silicone spray the cr*p out of 'em, squeeze them in with a vise and a medium sized dull screwdriver.
jim912928
I used the method the capt did (except I used general purpose lube versus silicon spray). They went right in. On the comment about splitting the bushings....that is what you do for the front sway bar rubber bushings that support the bar that goes through the body....not any of the link bushings!
TravisNeff
QUOTE (jim912928 @ May 24 2005, 04:44 PM)
I used the method the capt did (except I used general purpose lube versus silicon spray). They went right in. On the comment about splitting the bushings....that is what you do for the front sway bar rubber bushings that support the bar that goes through the body....not any of the link bushings!

Doh! I read wrong..
SLITS
Grease, socket and a vise.....they'll go in...........
redshift
HOLY CRAP! No WONDER taxes are so high, and government waste is RAMPANT!

People using destroyers to heat their bushings... cooling beer with a C-130.. drying underwear on a B-2 bomber...

unsure.gif

THE LINE WAS FULL!

M
Rusty
I just did this two weeks ago. First, remove the drop links entirely.

then...

1. Boil them to soften them up a little bit. Put them in a coffee mug full of hot water... carry out to car.
2. Smear some moly grease on the bushing and the drop link.
3. Force the bushing in... I pressed with a C-clamp. It started the bushing in.
4. You may need a screwdriver to "help it along"... encouraging the part of the bushing that doesn't want to go in.

All in all... less than 30 minutes for four bushings. That included when I put one in backwards... had to pop it out and press it in from the other side of the link.

I agonized over this, too.... but it really is easy.

-Rusty smoke.gif
joeav8tor
thanks guys for the tips, I'll get em in. smilie_pokal.gif
Joe
skline
I have a special tool to put them in, takes about 15 minutes to do them all and put them on the car in another 10 minutes.

The tool is Aaron Cox, he works for beer!! biggrin.gif
He has it down to a science.
Joe Ricard
IDONNO either I don't write so good or all ya'll ar illiterate.
hot steel deck to heat up hydraulic U-cup seals. Navy guns and missle launchers run on 1500 PSI hydraulics. If you never wrestled one of them in a valve or piston seal you ain't accomplished shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.