Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint / inner flange question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Hello Gentlemen,

I have a question about the inner cv joint to flange connection.

As you can see in the picture, (part #29) there's a gasket between the outer cv joint and the stub axle but, I have not found anything saying there should be something similar on the inner side.

On my e10, there's a metal, circular cap / insert that covers the inner and outer ends of the cv joints so the grease does not come out.

What is used to keep the grease from leaking out between the flange and the inner cv joint?. The bolts alone do not seem like they would make an adequate seal between the two.

Please let me know when you have a moment.

Thanks,

Mike
mgphoto
#25 is the cap that fits over the cv, most of the cap, I believe is metal to metal contact. The open section of the cv and axle protrude though the hole in the cap which is covered by the rubber bellows.
I believe newer versions have the bellows attached to the cap without the clamp and replaced as a unit, VW part.
No gasket on that side. Gasket on the other side needs to be installed carefully, correct torque and even pressure.
Mikey914
Now that I look at it more, good question
TheCabinetmaker
The answer is yes. Paper gasket on both cv's
Mikey914
Interesting, I would agree with cabnetmaker, but not drawn that way. If it leaks on one side it would leak on the other. The only real difference I can see is there is less room on the flange side so more could accumulate easier. I'll have to dig back into these again.
Mark
mmichalik
Thanks for the responses guys.

Can I assume that it's the same paper gasket? And if that is the case, I need a total of four instead of just two? (to take care of both left and right axles)

Just for reference, these are new axles / cv joints going in for the first time. When I pulled the transmission, there was no gasket between the inner flange/cv joint but, there sure was a lot of grease every where so, that's why I'm asking this question.

Dr Evil
Those gaskets are easily gotten from most vendors, and yes there were 4. However, I have changed to no gasket installed and to putting RTV along the seam after cleaning it up. Never had an issue, and the bolts stay torqued. YMMV.
mgphoto
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 31 2017, 11:37 AM) *

Thanks for the responses guys.

Can I assume that it's the same paper gasket? And if that is the case, I need a total of four instead of just two? (to take care of both left and right axles)

Just for reference, these are new axles / cv joints going in for the first time. When I pulled the transmission, there was no gasket between the inner flange/cv joint but, there sure was a lot of grease every where so, that's why I'm asking this question.

Transmission flanges and axle flanges use the same gasket.

Yes 4 total gaskets. New axles with new cv's and bellows?

ps: make sure you use new lock washers on the flange bolts.
mmichalik
Well all new as in newly rebuilt from a vendor. smile.gif I've rebuilt my e10 axles several times but, I wanted to start with new ones and if I ever need to have them rebuilt down the road, I'll do them myself.

I was just thinking about the washers as well. because there weren't any when I pulled them off so, I was going to replace a couple of the bolts that have started to round out a bit and all of the washers.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2017, 11:53 AM) *

Those gaskets are easily gotten from most vendors, and yes there were 4. However, I have changed to no gasket installed and to putting RTV along the seam after cleaning it up. Never had an issue, and the bolts stay torqued. YMMV.

I do also have the cv bolts drilled for safety wire as well as the wire if needed.
mmichalik
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 31 2017, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2017, 11:53 AM) *

I do also have the cv bolts drilled for safety wire as well as the wire if needed.

Thanks guys, for the advice here.

Mark, I'll look into grabbing a few of the bolts from you with the safety wire in about a week.

Mike
Andyrew
Never used them and I never will.

I much prefer to go metal to metal and run the CV bolts in with an impact and then mark the bolts for future inspection. I've never had grease come out of a CV flange either.

ChrisFoley
I've always used the gaskets, never used drilled bolts, always torque to 33 lb-ft, never had one come loose.
I've tried RTV and don't like it at all for that application.
Dr Evil
As you can see, several intelligent, experienced people with differing approaches smile.gif I also use safety wire, its cheap and easy insurance. I have had them come loose on several cars, always when I used the paper gasket, which is mooshy, always tq correctly. Never had an issue with metal to metal.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 1 2017, 10:21 AM) *

Never had an issue with metal to metal.

When the gaskets are installed properly the metal to metal contact is maintained.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 1 2017, 10:58 AM) *

When the gaskets are installed properly the metal to metal contact is maintained.

Maybe I had a shitty run of bad gaskets over several years and cars, but tq to spec didn't seem to hold. Over tq was not very good either. Gaskets bulged out. Do you know of differences in gaskets?
mgphoto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 1 2017, 08:18 AM) *

Maybe I had a shitty run of bad gaskets over several years and cars, but tq to spec didn't seem to hold. Over tq was not very good either. Gaskets bulged out. Do you know of differences in gaskets?

Printed side toward flange?
mmichalik
This is actually a great thread for any of the newer members, if you think about it. As Dr. Evil had mentioned, very experienced people with different approaches to the solution. Awesome debate / collaboration / discussion / examples.

Thanks for all the advice here guys. I've got a pretty good idea of how I will move forward with this.

Very cool.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 1 2017, 11:22 AM) *

Not all have printed side. Interesting point. Not sure it would matter, though. If so, its news to me.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
mgphoto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 1 2017, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 1 2017, 11:22 AM) *

Not all have printed side. Interesting point. Not sure it would matter, though. If so, its news to me.

Cheap gaskets don't have the paper which is the grease barrier. The paper surface is similar to the transmission gaskets.
914 cv joints (I can't speak for 911, 930 and 944 replacement axles) have a ridge built into the mating surface. That gap is for the "crush" part of the quality gasket.
When placing the paper surface gasket against the drive flange, it is now the grease barrier, whereas if the paper surface was placed against the cv it would be in the recess which would not prevent grease sling from the mating surface because of the more porous crush material.
My logic, it could be flawed.
Mikey914
I re-read this and wanted to put into context. I'm not taking offense to the previous comment. There may be some manufactures that are not using the correct material.
It is a few $ more.

The paper itself has a wax impregnated into it. The paper itself is a physical barrier, as well as paper being designed for this application. I could make these out of Viton if I wanted. But instead I used the "cheap" option. For those of you that want to pay more I'm happy to make out of whatever material you specify. biggrin.gif

Mark
mgphoto
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:39 AM) *

I re-read this and wanted to put into context. I'm not taking offense to the previous comment. There may be some manufactures that are not using the correct material.
It is a few $ more.

The paper itself has a wax impregnated into it. The paper itself is a physical barrier, as well as paper being designed for this application. I could make these out of Viton if I wanted. But instead I used the "cheap" option. For those of you that want to pay more I'm happy to make out of whatever material you specify. biggrin.gif

Mark

Mark,
I wasn't making comments on any manufacturer, especially you. I laud you for your commitment to the 914 community.
But in the real world "cheap" or inexpensive would be just the ticket for a guy who needs to pull his tranny 3 times in an event weekend, cheap might be just the ticket.
I am not asking you to change any items or materials, but it is good to know you could produce something needed by someone here doing something different.
My comment on cheap was meant as economics not production quality.
Mike
Mikey914
No,
I did get that what I had typed could be read as if I took offense to the comment. I pretty much do what supports the community. If 10 guys stepped up and said, you know what I would like mine in Viton, I could make that happen. Only a matter of scale.

I do appreciate the Garage banter, it's how things get done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.