Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Shaw
There I was, cruisin' happily in the 14er down the interstate. Looked down at the cylinder head temp gauge and saw it was creeping up to the 500 mark. Thought it was the gauge since the oil temp hadn't even reached the "T" and pressure was steady at 60. Decided to head home anyway - and about a mile from my house I went on three cylinders. Pulled it into the garage and started to check plugs. When I got to number 3, the side electrode was bent over to touch the middle and the edge of the plug looked like someone had taken a ballpein hammer to it. Put a magnet down the spark plug hole and it came out kinda fuzzy. Put the jackstands under it and loosened up the head so I could see inside. Inside of the head looked like Noriega's cheeks. Melted aluminum all over the place. Went inside and had 4 stiff drinks. Placed a WTB ad in the Club classifieds for new heads.

sad.gif sad.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Moral: Thou shalt always watch thy gauges so that truth and beauty will be yours forever.

Jake, PUHLEEES get your DTM system worked out for us 14ers so we can enjoy cool heads as well as curvy roads.
Mueller
bummer....

you need to find out why this happened in the first place...a motor could still melt with the DTM
skline
I agree, you have a bigger problem than what you think. The melting point for aluminum is 1220 degrees. No DTM is going to help you will that. Something else is wrong and I would suggest you find it before you do it again.
Joe Ricard
Don't recall your engine configuration. FI, CARBS, Some sorta EFI confused24.gif
But what ever the fuel delivery system you got it ain't working in that cylinder. half Plugged injector. or carb jet.
SGB
ohmy.gif Oh the number of times I've thought "no, that info is faulty" and had it bite me too. Thats a shame. Seems like you musta gone WAY lean on that cylinder or the timing has been too high- at least on that cylinder. Did the spark plug melt into that shape you think? Do you have high compression- like really high compression? Where did the guage sender sit relative to the cylinder that had the melt down? More than one? So what kinda ignition, fuel delivery, etc....
Bill Shaw
Just a bone stock 2 litre with D-jet. Was saving up for a Raby engine, but I guess that's going to be put on hold for a while.

The amazing thing was that when I checked the compression, I still got 90 psi (of course, it was 135 before).

Yeah, I figured that I had to have some sort of incredibly lean condition for it to heat up that much.

Think I'll have another drink.
Bill Shaw
Gauge sender was on number 3 and it was pegged when I got home. Don't think it was timing, since I checked it about a month ago when I put the Pertronix in, and it idled and went up through the gears just fine.

Maybe I'll make 2 drinks.
SGB
sad.gif
beer.gif beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.