Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw Out Pivot Ball Mounting Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrmeade
Help! I just replaced the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel on the car. When I removed the transmission the throw out arm was attached to the pivot ball and little else. I didn't think much of it till I started putting it all together. The pivot ball should mount to something. A bushing? All I know is I need something better to attach the pivot ball to than a hole in the transmission case. I'm thinking this explains a lot of my shifting issues. However, I am worried that the case is damaged and I will need to shell out more $$$ and spend more time without the bucket on the street. Anyone got any ideas?
aircooledboy
Pivot ball just threads into the case.
Looks like you have had some major leakage in that bell housing. ohmy.gif
scotty914
nope throw out arm connects to 3 things the cable the pivot ball and the TO bearing. there should be a small bushing in the TO arm with a little clip ( sorta ) that is attached with a screw to the TO arm

the TO arm will have nothing more to do with shifting than a mis adjusted clutch

simply the pivot screws in to the case and thats about it
Allan
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ May 24 2005, 07:40 PM)
Pivot ball just threads into the case.
Looks like you have had some major leakage in that bell housing. ohmy.gif

agree.gif Yep, just threads into the case. The only bushings are a small nylon cup that sits in the back of the throw-out fork that pops onto the pivot ball and two that go on the pivot arms.
aircooledboy
The hole is threaded right through to the inside of the case. Most suggest some gasket sealer around the top few thread of the ball to prevent oil leakage. You are definitely leaking, and the only 2 places that could make that kind of mess in your bell housing are the pivot ball or the shaft main seal. Best to determine which one before you put that sucker back in. beerchug.gif
bondo
That hole looks too big for a pivot ball. Methinks it's either stripped, or the little steel insert came out (or went in!) If that's the case, your best bet is probably to replace the case, or the whole trans. (replacing the case is a significant amount of work, and all pinion, adjustments will have to be redone)
d914
slightly differnt but I had mine renforced with a 'top Hat' looking thingymabob. I run a 911 case with a 914 gears. tore out the pivet and cracked the old case. sent the new one off to California to be beefed up...and moved the 911 vents.. bechum or some thing like that. Didnt know whether the '4 trannys had the same issue???
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ May 24 2005, 08:40 PM)
That hole looks too big for a pivot ball. Methinks it's either stripped, or the little steel insert came out (or went in!)

agree.gif this looks very bad!

if the threads are stripped, that would explain the TON of gunk in your bell housing as that would have leaked tranny oil like a siphon !!!

that's probably also the reason why you needed a new clutch.
clutch + oil = very BAD

you might be able to heli-coil this. but you need to make sure that this is sealed and dry before you re-assemble.

you can also have it welded up and redrilled & tapped ...

if that doesn't work, get a new tranny ...
wink.gif Andy

PS: get a couple of cans of brake-cleaner (berryman or similar) and clean off that old oil gunk!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 25 2005, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ May 24 2005, 08:40 PM)
That hole looks too big for a pivot ball. Methinks it's either stripped, or the little steel insert came out (or went in!)

agree.gif this looks very bad!

if the threads are stripped, that would explain the TON of gunk in your bell housing as that would have leaked tranny oil like a siphon !!!

that's probably also the reason why you needed a new clutch.
clutch + oil = very BAD

you might be able to heli-coil this. but you need to make sure that this is sealed and dry before you re-assemble.

you can also have it welded up and redrilled & tapped ...

if that doesn't work, get a new tranny ...
wink.gif Andy

PS: get a couple of cans of brake-cleaner (berryman or similar) and clean off that old oil gunk!

welding on magnesium sounds like fun unsure.gif ph34r.gif
sgomes
Show us a picture of the pivot ball. In particular the back side of the pivot ball. And I'm with Andy on the cleaning thing. Wow that is a (un?)healthy coating of oil you got there!
mrmeade
See the photo of the pivot ball attached to the throwout arm. The threads are not stripped. The washer in the photo is what was between the pivot ball and the case. This whole thing is such a mystery to me as I am certain when I tore apart the engine the pivot ball was not attached to the case. Just sort of held in place. I don't know how I was driving it for as long as I was. I appreciate all of your comments on this repair. Thank you 914world.com!
Allan
Everything on the throw-out fork is correct except the washer. Your problem, my friend is that the case has been stripped. Gonna have to either get a new tranny, get a new tranny case and swap all the internals, or find someone who can work magnesium and either plug, re-drill and tap or put some kind of insert in it.
bondo
There was originally a steel insert in the case. It probably worked its way INTO the case. If you do fix that trans, be sure to fish it out before it gets into a bad place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.