Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi guys, my '74 was recently reassembled. The front trunk would open a couple of weeks ago, but now when I pull the handle, it won't move at all. The handle pulls out without too much trouble, but I don't hear anything pulling on the latch. What's the trick to get it open?

Thanks in advance, Rick
Cairo94507
The first thing to try is to have someone pull the handle while you are slightly applying pressure to the front center of the hood and see if it unlatches then. Good luck. beerchug.gif
mepstein
If what Michael suggested doesnt work, take off the front bumper. in the middle of the front panel, sometimes covered by a rubber plug, is a hole that you can stick a small flat blade screw driver. wiggle or turn the screwdriver (i cant remember which) and you will pop the latch. Before you put everything back together, lube the latch, inner cable and lock pull. do a trial run and then install the bumper.

Then lube all the other locks and cables so you dont have other problems.
clapeza
Then if you discover that the cable is broken or the sheath is snapped, you can get a new replacement from (where else!) 914Rubber:

http://shop.914rubber.com/Front-trunk-guid...m?categoryId=-1

brooks944
Thanks guys. My brother came by today and we got it to open per Cairo's directions. This is why I love this site, best advice and best experts! What is the best lube to get into all the areas that need to be covered? silicone spray, lithium grease?
mepstein
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Nov 1 2017, 04:46 PM) *

Thanks guys. My brother came by today and we got it to open per Cairo's directions. This is why I love this site, best advice and best experts! What is the best lube to get into all the areas that need to be covered? silicone spray, lithium grease?

Bicycle chain lube or a very light grease. I would remove the cable so you can make sure its clean and compleatly lubed. I would go for something a little heavier than silicone spray on the cable so it lasts. Spray on the locks is fine since you can reapply easily. only use enough to lube the friction points, more just attracts dirt.
Rand
White lithium grease spray. Available most outlets. Good stuff to have on hand.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Lithiu...um+grease+spray
Rand
White lithium grease spray. Available most outlets. Good stuff to have on hand.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Lithiu...um+grease+spray

[EDIT] Sorry for the double post, the site was stalled and dang my impatience! :/
Spoke
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Nov 1 2017, 04:46 PM) *

aktion035.gif

Nice. I've been bailed out many times by these guys. This is one of those sites where when it goes down everyone goes to another site (pelican) and starts a thread "what happened to 914world?" and we carry on.
Dave_Darling
What, no advice to use a Sawz-All? biggrin.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.