Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Type IV flywheel options, AA Products unit okay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
After the 15% discount which I should qualify for, it would be about $150 before shipping and taxes.

I'm pretty sure my current flywheel cannot be turned down anymore.
branston
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 1 2017, 06:03 PM) *

After the 15% discount which I should qualify for, it would be about $150 before shipping and taxes.

I bought more than a year ago, installed on my 1.8. its just fine, happy with quality no problem fitting. Car is used most weeks and recntly did 425 trip with no issues.

And for the money it's a deal
Mueller
QUOTE(branston @ Nov 1 2017, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 1 2017, 06:03 PM) *

I bought more than a year ago, installed on my 1.8. its just fine, happy with quality no problem fitting. Car is used most weeks and recntly did 425 trip with no issues.

And for the money it's a deal

Thanks!
mgphoto
Keep in mind the there are cheap type IV flywheels which are cast, the 914 requires a forged flywheel.
Mikey914
Forging is a much more expensive process. I can understand why factory would use it from a product liability standpoint (also may use same forging for higher HP applications?).
Depending on the alloy and impurities in the metal I could see how a cast part could become a grenade if quality was poor. However, if a hardening process was used on a high quality casting, at least for a low HP application it may be appropriate? Because if it's aftermarket, I'd bet it's not forged due to the cost (and what you paid).

What are your thoughts?
jd74914
AA claims their flywheels are forged. I wouldn't be shocked if that was true; they likely could use the same forging for all of their VW flywheels and just do some additional machining; that's likely much cheaper than multiple forging dies.
jd74914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 2 2017, 11:33 AM) *

Forging is a much more expensive process. I can understand why factory would use it from a product liability standpoint (also may use same forging for higher HP applications?).
Depending on the alloy and impurities in the metal I could see how a cast part could become a grenade if quality was poor. However, if a hardening process was used on a high quality casting, at least for a low HP application it may be appropriate? Because if it's aftermarket, I'd bet it's not forged due to the cost (and what you paid).

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone sell a cast flywheel? I would think the forging process would be less expensive than x-raying each flywheel. The liability seems too great for even an aftermarket vendor to not either do serious QC or forge. It's not like you're going to stop a broken flywheel from coming through the bellhousing. Kind of like a disc in a turbine engine, but not quite as dangerous due to the 10x reduction in rotation speed.
Mueller
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 2 2017, 09:11 AM) *

Keep in mind the there are cheap type IV flywheels which are cast, the 914 requires a forged flywheel.

They say forged, on the plus side if flywheel did explode on a 914 I'm pretty sure my feet and legs are protected, hahaha
jd74914
Yeah, really. A 914 is about as low personal risk as you can get. laugh.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:33 AM) *

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are this:

High quality castings....centrifrical or other methods are very expensive nowdays and a tyoe iv flywheel...in my mind wouldn.t be justified

They used investment castings in the old days prior to the advent of larger billet steel sizes and cnc equipment.

I highly doubt that the part is cast....it is either machined billet steel or forged. Most likely forged.
914_teener
Not saying it can't be. I just don't think the numbers and the part for what it is and does would justify it.
DM_2000
I wouldn't expect the flywheel to be "finish" forged to shape like a crankshaft or connecting rod.

I would expect it to be a disc of steel turned into a dinner plate then finish machined. If this is what is occurring, the dies would be very simple and probably used for other parts automotive or not.

Mueller
I found a video of them making their flywheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0bbTZrcYMc
Krieger
[quote name='Mueller' date='Nov 2 2017, 07:05 PM' post='2544923']

[/quote

Wow! That is some serious teamwork involved. Good thing it wasn't a rainy day, but maybe that would have kept the dust down.
Mikey914
Technically this is forging. But think about this. You start with a pure steel alloy (best case). Did you notice that the amount of material used was lets just say 1/8 of the ingot. So the 1st one you do is pure. After you roll it around in the soil, you now throw it back into the forge to make the next ingot. So how much of god knows what is introduced into the metal?

I'm sure all the impurities burned off. biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 3 2017, 12:39 AM) *

So the 1st one you do is pure. After you roll it around in the soil, you now throw it back into the forge to make the next ingot. So how much of god knows what is introduced into the metal?

That's called alloying. It even has propriety and local-specific dopants. Probably why some import metals work so nicely.

laugh.gif
maf914
Wow! Good video.

Is that how Fuchs made their famous wheels for Porsche?
type2man
If your old flywheel didnt chatter or have any blue spots or didn't slip under load, just reinstall it. It's going to be better than anything aftermarket that youll install
914_teener
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 2 2017, 07:05 PM) *

laugh.gif
Mark Henry
Pelican had German flywheels, they were good quality.
Last one I used had no balance drilling, I took it to the balance shop and they said it was right on the money.
rhodyguy
QC performed with a tape measure, "close enough, looks good!".
raynekat
Watching that video, I can't imagine how many industrial accidents have happened over there and the gruesome type of injuries.
Holy cow...you'd never see that in America.
It would all be automated, robot, computer controlled.
rhodyguy
Forklifts. I worked in a foundry. Those laborers have plenty of burn scars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.