Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: HF welding helmets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
I need to learn to weld. And, I want to learn. Was in HF the other day and saw the welding helmets out for sale, what's the opinion on these? welder.gif Now I know to stay away from their welders but what about the welding helmets? Thanks!
jd74914
Well, their response times are reported to be very good. But they are Harbor Frieght helmets. I couldn't bring myself to use one given the fact that brand name helmets are not terribly expensive and the fact that your eyes are priceless.
914forme
agree.gif I tend to spend big money on safety gear.
HansJan
Its only a few times per year that I weld. But when I do, I use the HB helmet.
Reaction time is sufficient.
Works for me.
mepstein
Some things you want to buy the best you can afford and save money on something else.
Elliot Cannon
This one looks nice. http://www.eastwood.com/panoramic-view-welding-helmet.html
mgp4591
The only issue I had with response time and it cutting out at times was remedied by charging the solar battery storage by leaving it in the sun for about 30 minutes and then it worked fine. There's nothing wrong with buying the best you can afford in a welding helmet but my experience has been good with the HF unit I bought, on sale no less. But isn't everything on sale at HF?
Mike Bellis
I had one as a backup for my Lincoln helmet. Every time I spent hours welding with it my eyes burned and felt like there was grit in them.

As I have said before... What are your eyes worth? If it's less than a $39 helmet, buy one.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 1 2017, 09:21 PM) *

I had one as a backup for my Lincoln helmet. Every time I spent hours welding with it my eyes burned and felt like there was grit in them.

As I have said before... What are your eyes worth? If it's less than a $39 helmet, buy one.

I've got an additional lens that I supplement with my helmet because it seemed like it wasn't as dark as I'd like it even with the darkness turned all the way up. It makes a difference without me losing my seeing the target.
I agree that there are better helmets - my solution worked for me but I've got the experience to know how dark it should be while others may not. Get what you need to protect your eyes.
Andyrew
I have had good luck with the HF helmets. We used them for work occasionally as well welding for 1+ hours straight a day. Never had any issue with welder burn. In fact I had more issues with the $300 Procore helmet. The response time seemed to be much faster with the HF Helmet and I was able to see the work much better.

My only issue with the HF helmet is that it is really easy to block the light sensor.
falcor75
I picked up a new Esab welding helmet at my local retailer for less than $100, works great for what little welding I do.
Niklas
I use a 3M Speedglas 9100.
This must be the best.
Spoke
I've had 2 HF helmets and seem to work fine. The first one lasted 10 years before the batteries gave out.
sithot
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 2 2017, 07:01 AM) *

I've had 2 HF helmets and seem to work fine. The first one lasted 10 years before the batteries gave out.

Some stuff is ok but I’d be more careful when it comes to eyes. I have an Optrel and a Miller self-darkening helmet. Both offer all the adjustability one could want in the way of the self darkening feature. Quality over price.

Beware of cheap box store hardware.

Click to view attachment

PS: I still like a standard helmet.
mb911
Buy quality.. Speaking from experience..
saigon71
I'm a big fan of the HF auto darkening helmet. It saw heavy use for 4 years during my restoration and still works as it should for occasional small welding jobs.

LowBridge
something to think about is most of the HF helmets are not approved for Tig.. if you read the supporting documents included with the helmets is states this in the safety info.

now knowing this I have a backup HF that I use in a pinch but I will not use it to Tig
VaccaRabite
I used a HF helmet for several years.
Then I bought a mid-grade Miller helmet for myself for Christmas last year.

I will tell you right now, you can see SO MUCH MORE through the better helmet. And my eyes don't itch at all after a welding session. My welds improved becasue I could see the puddle and what it was doing.

I used it to watch the Eclipse too, over the summer. That was cool!

Zach
JOEPROPER
I have an auto-darkening from Snap-on Tools. Not sure who makes it for them, but it works great for what I need.
JOEPROPER
Also, agree.gif Don't get the cheap one. It's like a motorcycle helmet.
mgphoto
spend a few extra dollars and get a better helmet. I bought and used the HF for a while, was ok but I bought a better helmet, when the batteries gave out and everything got better, even got some cheeter lenses for close up work. I should have bought the better one at first.
When your done, you can sell the better helmet off, used HF helmets aren't worth much.
mb911
Heavy use is a very interesting term.. I have taught welding for about 20 years so I have seen it all.. Heavy use is 40 hours a week welding . that is no place for HF garbage.. Anyone worth it in the industry welds with quality helmets because last I heard eye transplants were kind of painful.. So for a tradesmen 40dollars versus 300 is a no brainer..

Now for a weekend warrior like 99% of the folks on the forum's a 40 dollar helmet works just fine.. Even people doing restorations are Probably fine. The Arc time is so limited as for the most part they are just plug welding then spend the 40 bucks and your fine but spend the other 27 dollars on an lpr-100 miller respirator or the likes that fits under the helmet..

I am often suprised how much we neglect our health in these conversations..

Here is my son using a respirator and a 300 dollar helmet..Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
PlantMan
I see that Eastwood has a panoramic helmet now with a very large viewing area. Not sure how practical this is but a neat idea.....runs around $200.

I spent a little over $100 for my last helmet and it was a enormous improvement over the cheaper HF type. I don't weld a lot but the quality of my work has improved.
JOEPROPER
You're right Ben, I never thought about a respirator. So, I just ordered one with extra filter and case. About $60 bucks well spent. Thanks!
lpr-100 miller respirator
ValcoOscar
As a Miller / Lincoln Electric vendor I would get a lot of grief if I had these HF helmets in my shop..then again I have two HF Helmets at home that I have used sparingly and they have never let me down....4 years and going strong.

My 2 cents...Great for occasional use, probably not recommended for the professional / full-time welder.

Oscar
mb911
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 2 2017, 07:21 AM) *

As a Miller / Lincoln Electric vendor I would get a lot of grief if I had these HF helmets in my shop..then again I have two HF Helmets at home that I have used sparingly and they have never let me down....4 years and going strong.

My 2 cents...Great for occasional use, probably not recommended for the professional / full-time welder.

Oscar

agree.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 2 2017, 07:21 AM) *

Oscar

agree.gif

agree.gif
It's like tools because it IS a tool. For home use some of your less expensive tools will work fine but working 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week for 30 years like I did I always used the best. I'd buy the cheap stuff from pawn shops to modify for the odd angles and stuff but my bread and butter tools were top shelf. And middle shelf. In fact all of my shelves were full of the good stuff!
seanpaulmc
Eye protection it is. I do not want to take chances with eye safety, and why I wanted to ask on here. I knew you guys would give great recommendations. Will look for a good quality welding helmet. Thank you all!

Respirator? I had never given that a thought before. I am not used to seeing people use them, but I can see why that is a sensible recommendation. Will do that too.

-Sean
sithot
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Nov 2 2017, 12:56 PM) *

Respirator? I had never given that a thought before. I am not used to seeing people use them, but I can see why that is a sensible recommendation. Will do that too.

-Sean

A friend who is a certified pressure vessel welder recommends them to all of his students. He said his "FEV" (Forced Expiration Volume) isn't as good as when he was young man.
Good ventilation will help and if you aren't doing it day in and day out I wouldn't be too concerned. It is, however, a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyIRpS3ZdQ4...eature=youtu.be
Andyrew
I make it a habit to try and put a fan behind me when I am welding for any length of time.

Most respirators do not fit under a helmet, IMHO this is a decent solution to the toxic gases being released.
mb911
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 2 2017, 11:57 AM) *

I make it a habit to try and put a fan behind me when I am welding for any length of time.

Most respirators do not fit under a helmet, IMHO this is a decent solution to the toxic gases being released.

Thats whats nice about the lpr 100.. Fits right under the helmet..

All of my students get them as required equipment..
burton73
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 2 2017, 12:57 PM) *

I do the same thing and have an exhaust fan to outside.

Bob B welder.gif
914forme
While not as good as the above respirators these do work, and look barf.gif after a long welding sessions.

I know have proper ventilation and filtering system that you Scott beer.gif but still keep a few of these around when I can't weld in the shop, fits under the mask just fine.

I also upgraded from my Miller helmets as I found them flacking out, and so did my son-in-laws. Between us we went through 4 helmets in 6 months. He was a professional welder, welding pressurized vessels for 60+ hours a week. I went with a Jackson Safety mask, night and day difference over the Millers.

After I ordered that one, my Brother-In-law got a job at the local welding supply shop. headbang.gif Could have gotten one on discount. headbang.gif
porschetub
Cheap welding helmets are exactly that,ask me how I know,in most cases the battery fails and you can't change it,I do a lot of welding and treated myself to a good quality one recently,if you are learning to weld you need the advantage that a good helmet offers...end of story.
Arc eye is nasty ,I don't get it easily but when I do I know,if you wear glasses you find the better helmets are a must ,if you buy a cheap helmet you need to consider your eyesight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.