Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LAST, LAST CALL - PHOTOS - 2018 914 Calendar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stevegm
LAST CALL:

We will close out the photo call soon, and put them up for vote on 914world. If you have anymore photos you would like to submit, please post them soon.

Please submit your calendar photos in this thread. The poll will start in a couple weeks to choose the calendar photos.

In response to comments about the calendar:

Over the past three years, we produced the 914 calendar. It breaks even. I just wanted a cool calendar for my wall. And I think it was cool.

We do a 914 poll of your pictures, put it together, print it, and ship it.

If Andy wants us to contribute proceeds to 914world, that sounds cool to me. We are happy to increase the price from the $13.00 per calendar as much as everybody wants, and donate the proceeds over costs to 914world. There isn’t any profit at the current price.

Assuming we make a decision fast we can still get it done by the end of the year. There are no logistical issues with producing the calendar. They are printed to order, and to my knowledge, everybody has always received the ones they ordered. It has always gone very smoothly. Unlike the magazine, it’s subscriptions, and renewals of subscriptions, which are a logistical nightmare. Please see my post in the magazine thread.

If you all don’t want us to do the calendar, ok. I’ll head to the mall and buy a 911 calendar for my office. But it won’t be as cool. :-)

If you all want us to do it, I’ll post a new - call for photos - thread. Just let me know.
billh1963
I'll probably get flamed for this...especially since I don't have a dog in this fight. But, what the hell....

I looked over previous calendar posts and didn't see if these funds are going to help support 914world.com or is just a commercial venture. If supporting 914world.com that's cool.

If not....well...... have the concerns of your paying customers for your magazine been addressed? The last post I saw in the magazine thread indicates people have not been receiving issues. Your magazine website hasn't been updated for many months and doesn't show if you have printed any new issues.

Before going on to your next venture you should complete old business (if you haven't already).

Click to view attachment
sb914
agree.gif
DRPHIL914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Millerwelds
Good to see your still around. Please refund my payment for the magazine of which you were unable to deliver. I would request that others refrain from providing free photos for his personal profit until he addresses the many teeners who paid for the magazine subscription that went unfulfilled. I hope this gets corrected ASAP as I am sure many of us would love to have a 914 calendar. beerchug.gif
BENBRO02
agree.gif
I paid for a subscription of Fourteener Motoring magazine and got one issue.
Sent an email to let him know and received no reply. Either refund everybody's money or publish the magazine.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Nov 2 2017, 08:39 AM) *

agree.gif
I paid for a subscription of Fourteener Motoring magazine and got one issue.
Sent an email to let him know and received no reply. Either refund everybody's money or publish the magazine.

Not much for jumping on the band wagon but..... thought it was just me. However. After complaining I did receive my money back and then got a magazine after wards? blink.gif
Probably good advice, get the ducks lined up on parade one, before getting the second parade rolling...good luck.
URY914
I submitted photos that I was told were selected. I'd think I would have been given a calendar. But no. confused24.gif stirthepot.gif shades.gif
sixaddict
Thank you!!!!

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Nov 2 2017, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 2 2017, 09:02 PM) *

I wonder if this guy voted for DT.

Please let's keep politics off this website.

SO.O.C914er
Be cool people. If your like me and ordered calendars for the past three years and received them then you know the magazine and the calendar are two every different things. Steve please continue to move forward with the calendar thanks. smoke.gif
GaroldShaffer
Steve has address the issue with 914 magazine in another thread. Here is my submission for the 2018 Calendar

stevegm
I changed the purpose of this thread to address your questions, which are certainly fair.

Over the past three years, we produced the 914 calendar. It breaks even. I just wanted a cool calendar for my wall. And I think it was cool.

If Andy wants us to contribute proceeds to 914world, that sounds cool to me. We are happy to increase the price from the $13.00 per calendar as much as everybody wants, and donate the proceeds over costs to 914world. There isn’t any profit at the current price.

Assuming we make a decision fast we can still get it done by the end of the year. There are no logistical issues with producing the calendar. They are printed to order, and to my knowledge, everybody has always received the ones they ordered. It has always gone very smoothly. Unlike the magazine, it’s subscriptions, and renewals of subscriptions, which are a logistical nightmare. Please see my post in the magazine thread.

If you all don’t want us to do the calendar, ok. I’ll head to the mall and buy a 911 calendar for my office. But it won’t be as cool. :-)

If you all want us to do it, I’ll post a new - call for photos - thread. Just let me know.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 2 2017, 09:26 PM) *

I changed the purpose of this thread to address your questions, which are certainly fair.

YES YES YES please do the Calendar Otherwise I will have to my own which will not be no where as great as the past 914 Calendars that you have done.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Here's my contribution. Higher resolution available, just PM me.
Olympic 914
I liked the calendar and the magazine. Also understand the trouble involved.

Continue to do the calendar.

My picture submission.

Click to view attachment

Cropped and resized for forum post. can provide full size copy.
rgalla9146
Faded NY landmark. 6 2017
Shot on drive home from a gathering of NY/NJ 914 nuts at Injunmorts ranch.
JOEPROPER
I don't have any photos to submit, but would love for the calendar project to continue. Thanks.
Kansas 914
Calendar submission:

Porsche Among The Plums

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Heart transplant
Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Ok this needs to be said. First I am in the printing business I know what it costs to produce a calendar like this and it is nowhere near $13, so Steve you need to stop insisting that all your projects are for the love of the 914 and they are all break even. All of your projects including T-Shirts are "for profit" I know what it costs to make t-shirts also. The booth you had setup last year at Ockteenerfest with several different items for sale, were those all priced to break even too? I am going to guess that the magazine had started to go south and was starting to become a loser money wise so it was shelved. I don't think you should be allowed to sell anything on this site until everyone that is owed money from the magazine is taken care of.
rhodyguy
Interesting....
mobymutt
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Nov 3 2017, 08:36 AM) *

I don't have any photos to submit, but would love for the calendar project to continue. Thanks.

Me too!
saigon71
My calendar submission:

Click to view attachment
Steve
Here's mine
Click to view attachment
malcolm2
If not Steve, then someone make a calendar... maybe we get 12 good shots and email them to whomever wants a calendar, go to WALGREENS.com and make your own calendar. confused24.gif confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Steve
Here's a picture of my car that SB914 took
Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 3 2017, 09:59 AM) *

Ok this needs to be said. First I am in the printing business I know what it costs to produce a calendar like this and it is nowhere near $13, so Steve you need to stop insisting that all your projects are for the love of the 914 and they are all break even. All of your projects including T-Shirts are "for profit" I know what it costs to make t-shirts also. The booth you had setup last year at Ockteenerfest with several different items for sale, were those all priced to break even too? I am going to guess that the magazine had started to go south and was starting to become a loser money wise so it was shelved. I don't think you should be allowed to sell anything on this site until everyone that is owed money from the magazine is taken care of.

I started to post something as well but figured that since I wouldn't be buying a calendar or anything I wouldn't jump in. But, I'm glad you did because Steve's response has been eating at me.

First...let me say that I understand Steve's time is worth something. However, playing the martyr is ridiculous. Just a quick search on the web shows you can get 200 11x17 calendars (which, I believe is bigger than the calendar Steve is selling) with spiral binding on the best quality paper available for around $5.50 each. Smaller 8.5x11 calendars are as low as $3.50 each.

If Steve wants to have a business selling calendars where members do all the work by providing pictures, selecting the best ones, etc. then by all means have at it. The world needs more Tom Sawyers charging people to paint their fence. Just be honest about the motive.
ValcoOscar
Here you go

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 3 2017, 09:59 AM) *

I'm not in the printing but am a user of the printing business. I am the editing director for a specific car marque/model registry's magazine. We publish around 750 issues every quarter and ship to US and around 20 countries world wide. Distribution is one of the easiest aspects of publishing. The printer actually performs that job for you. You simply provide the mailing list for each issue. It's not rocket science.

Once again, if you aren't making the money you expected just say so. No on expects you to continue a money losing proposition.
Steve
I like the calendars!! If $13.00 is too much don't buy one. If someone else wants to step up to the plate and also do it, have at it. When you don't have any competition you can charge as much as you want within reason. Up to the admins if they want to support this or force some of the profits to charity like the advertisements.
malcolm2
Cruising around Greenville's old Textile Plants, looking for a brewery! 4 hour drive and my tires still look good. Love the aerospace 303.

Click to view attachment
rgolia
here you go

Click to view attachment
mlindner
Good morning Steve, I'd be in for a few calendars and here'e my submission. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
914dave
I’ll pitch in
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 3 2017, 07:57 AM) *

First...let me say that I understand Steve's time is worth something. However, playing the martyr is ridiculous. Just a quick search on the web shows you can get 200 11x17 calendars (which, I believe is bigger than the calendar Steve is selling) with spiral binding on the best quality paper available for around $5.50 each. Smaller 8.5x11 calendars are as low as $3.50 each.

You left out postage of a couple bucks.

I used to do the local PCA newsletter thus I can relate, so if Steve "profits" $3 from each of the 100 calendars that works out to roughly $100 a day for his time. Do you really expect him, or any other person, to work strictly for free? I didn't get paid, not even dinner, I did it partly to fatten my graphic design portfolio.

I'm bummed the mag didn't work out. It was way more ambitious then anything I would have done. That level of quality demands a full time job.

If a calendar is printed I will buy one for the office as usual. I don't care how "late" it is as I use it for motivation driving.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 3 2017, 09:58 AM) *

Dave - IMO, you built the best looking 914 on the planet...
pray.gif wub.gif
Woodside914
Here's my offer....

Click to view attachment
iankarr
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 3 2017, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 3 2017, 09:58 AM) *

Dave - IMO, you built the best looking 914 on the planet...
pray.gif wub.gif

agree.gif
And it's even more spectacular in person. Got to hang with Dave and his car at the air-cooled event in NJ last month...

mad props to ya (as the kids say).
iankarr
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Nov 3 2017, 10:47 AM) *

If not Steve, then someone make a calendar... maybe we get 12 good shots and email them to whomever wants a calendar, go to WALGREENS.com and make your own calendar. confused24.gif confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I don't know about you guys, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had a paper calendar anywhere near me or my office. What about a Flickr-style photo book commemorating "the year in 914s". We can get a 5 x 7 soft cover with 20 pages for under 15 bucks. Or a beautiful 8 x 10 hardcover suitable for even Danny Thomas's coffee table for 35 bucks. Anyway, here's my submission...

Click to view attachment
JoeD
Throwing this out as a possible candidate for inclusion...

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Maybe my post was misunderstood. Two points I wanted to make:
1) Steve is making money at $13 each and I have no problem with that, people can decide to buy if they want one. Cost is $5 -$6 to produce not $13.
2) Let's take care of the members who are owed money from the magazine not being delivered.

I don't think someone should be allowed to continue selling items when they owe money to members here for product that was never delivered. Steve is using the ruse of stating that he is not making any money on the calendar so he can continue this project without taking care of the people he owes. Just my .02!
914wrenchin
smilie_pokal.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 3 2017, 05:38 PM) *

Maybe my post was misunderstood. Two points I wanted to make:
1) Steve is making money at $13 each and I have no problem with that, people can decide to buy if they want one. Cost is $5 -$6 to produce not $13.
2) Let's take care of the members who are owed money from the magazine not being delivered.

I don't think someone should be allowed to continue selling items when they owe money to members here for product that was never delivered. Steve is using the ruse of stating that he is not making any money on the calendar so he can continue this project without taking care of the people he owes. Just my .02!

I know better than to get into a pissing match in a forum, and therefore, won't. However, your assessment of the costs of producing the calendar leaves a number of key items, such as design, postage, envelopes, distribution, etc., out. It adds up. Further, given the small count of the calendar, it isn't cost effective to have the printer handle the distribution. I've run the numbers to avoid stuffing them and mailing them myself. You couldn't possibly think anybody is making any money on this small run of calendars. Regardless, we can produce them for the cost we always have. If everybody wants us to do that, we will. Otherwise, we won't.

I have posted in the magazine thread how we are handling the magazine. My post there speaks for itself. Nobody is avoiding anything. Rather, we wanted to take the time to evaluate the options, because I hated to see the magazine cease. We are working through the list of subscribers and emailing each one personally. That is how I intend to handle it; Not because I am avoiding anything. On the contrary. We are reaching out to subscribers individually, precisely because it is the right thing to do, and I respect this community, as well as my reputation within it. If you have another suggestion as to how we should handle it, I would be more than happy to hear it.

I don't see the two projects as connected in the least. And the ceasing of publication of the magazine doesn't have to end the calendar. At least I don't see why it would. If someone doesn't want to participate, that is their prerogative. While we want everybody included, we aren't begging anybody to submit their photos or buy a calendar, to make a buck here. Believe it or not, it does take a lot of work to put it together. If you would like to assist, we can always use a helping hand.
rmdinmd
I was a subscriber to the mag and am disappointed in how that went this last year but things happen. That being said - I am still interested in a calendar; so my vote is make them and I will buy one.
saigon71
QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 3 2017, 12:58 PM) *

Dave:

Your car looks awesome! I look forward to seeing it live and hearing the sweet sound of the -6. first.gif

ConeDodger
I didn’t subscribe to the magazine. It’s extremely difficult to put out anything in print these days. Digital is in many cases, killing print. I kind of saw it coming and stayed on the sidelines. But Steve has put out a few great calendars so I’d be in on that.

Here are some shots of my car. Some of the best shots I have exceed the size limit for the site so if you want them Steve, they’d have to be emailed.
914four
I love having the calendars in my office the last few years, thanks for taking the time to do them. Here is a picture from the Tail of the Dragon last weekend. We drove up Friday with the Birmingham PCA group with the top off. It was snowing when we left the Tapoco Lodge Sunday morning shortly before this pictures was taken and is the reason for the top and lights on.

Click to view attachment
Michael N
Please do the calendar. It always look great at my desk at work. smile.gif

My submission....(resized for post but have high quality).

Click to view attachment

Larmo63
"I don't see the two projects as connected in the least."

I do. I'm sure many others do too. I see the magazine and the calendar connected because you publish them both, Steve.

That said, I don't hold any animosity towards you, I received my magazines. I think it is a tough undertaking you took on and a seemingly thankless task. I perceive you as a good guy and you are really trying to do something cool.

I also think you should do the calendars, and you should be compensated for the time you take to do them. Frankly, after doing a /6 conversion, $13.00 is chicken feed to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.