Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake/Rear Caliper question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boston914
My parking brake holds fine, but when I release it, it seems like the caliper is not retracting properly.

I get a chirping sound from the Left Rear caliper when I drive the car.

Question: Would this indicate a bad caliper, or could it just be a problem with the parking brake cable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lapuwali
It can also be goo inside the caliper hanging up the mechanism, which means a caliper rebuild. I've also had the pin that tensions the spring on the caliper break off.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 25 2005, 08:47 AM)
I've also had the pin that tensions the spring on the caliper break off.

yep... Eric Shea told how to fix that... drill it out (can't remember the diameter of the drill bit) then put JBweld in the hole, and break the bit off(use the broken drill bit as the new pin)
meares
where can i find an emergency brake handle? the folding one?
tat2dphreak
don't get a folding one... get a later style.. the folding(early style) is a piece of shit!

put a WTB in the classifieds here... there are plently of people parting cars...
andys
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 25 2005, 06:09 AM)
don't get a folding one... get a later style.. the folding(early style) is a piece of shit!

put a WTB in the classifieds here... there are plently of people parting cars...

Why is the folding one a POS? When I bought my new '73, it had the retracting (folding) parking brake handle that you never got hung up on when entering/exiting the car. The non-retracting (non folding) one (like in my '75) sits up where you can't help but bump it when getting in and out of the car. I liked the folding one much better. I would think POS would be the other way around, unless there's something I'm missing???

Andy
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (andys @ May 25 2005, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 25 2005, 06:09 AM)

Why is the folding one a POS? When I bought my new '73, it had the retracting (folding) parking brake handle that you never got hung up on when entering/exiting the car. The non-retracting (non folding) one (like in my '75) sits up where you can't help but bump it when getting in and out of the car. I liked the folding one much better. I would think POS would be the other way around, unless there's something I'm missing???

Andy

if the folding one is in good shape, they are usually fine, but 9/10 of them are in bad shape and they have an interior piece that can't be replaced anymore... the later style is much better, even if it gets in your way sometimes... the later style handle doesn't fail, and the parts are available to fix them if for some reason they do...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.