Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs for 1911 motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesse7flying
When I got my '71 914 project car, it came with a 1911 motor that had apparently been run on carbs, but the carbs did not come with the motor. I have no idea what cam was installed in the motor when it was rebuilt into a 1911, nor do I know what carbs were on the motor before I got it. What would make the most sense for getting this motor running again? What carbs would make sense to put on this motor? Any help would be appreciated.
Jesse
mepstein
There’s a set for sale on this site.
Mark Henry
40mm dual webers, pro rebuilt Italian is the best, reason I say pro is care has to be taken that the shaft bushings are not worn.
The EMPI HPMX made in China, Weber IDF copy are ok new, but used the early ones had big issues.

Scrap the linkage and get a CSP center pull or the the cable job from Tangerine.
BK911
Personally I would go with the EMPI HPMX 40s.
Have had them on my 1.7 for a few years now with no issues.
Only ~$500 for a brand new pair.
jesse7flying
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2017, 10:57 AM) *

There’s a set for sale on this site.

I saw a set of Weber's that sold a month ago. Are those the ones you were thinking about?
Dave_Darling
Dell'Orto 36es were the preferred carb for a while. I believe they haven't been made in quite a while so may be hard to find. Weber 40s have been something of a default choice for decades. More recently, I have heard more about the types mentioned above.

Consensus seems to be that the Kadron copies of old Solex carbs aren't very good, unless you get really lucky or are willing to put a ton of work into them.

Other options would include a Microsquirt-controlled independent throttle body injection setup. biggrin.gif

--DD
ndfrigi
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317632

dual carb for sale. not mine.
jesse7flying
Thanks fellas, looks like I should try to find a set of Webers. I appreciate the input.
Regards--Jesse
GeorgeRud
If I was looking these days, i’d Look for an EFI setup (Microsquirt?) as today’s fuels don’t play nicely with carbs.
porschetub
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Nov 4 2017, 11:24 AM' post='2545237']
Dell'Orto 36es were the preferred carb for a while. I believe they haven't been made in quite a while so may be hard to find. Weber 40s have been something of a default choice for decades. More recently, I have heard more about the types mentioned above.

CB performance imported Dellorto's a ways back pretty much ready to run,some come up on theSamba.com from time to time ,others are around still these are mostly "take offs" from Alfa's and require a bit of work to get right,I currently have 2 sets,the biggest issue is when you want run a vacuum dizzy , the Alfa sets only have a vacuum point on one of the carbs in the set and you need to drill one carb and fit a second pickup or fit an anti-pulse on one carb as Alfa did.
Many in the "know" rate the Dellorto's above the Weber due to being a much newer design,I believe Jake is a fan of them, contrary to what many say there is plenty of spares around for them.
Dave_Darling
I have heard that they have more progression ports and transition from idle jets to mains much more gracefully. No experience myself.

--DD
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 5 2017, 11:07 AM) *

I have heard that they have more progression ports and transition from idle jets to mains much more gracefully. No experience myself.

--DD

Correct Dave,funny now many have amped up prices of used Dells and Webers saying the Chinese carbs are crap, saying they were horrible appears that's sorted now,the early carbs weren't great.
I think someone has a video of the HPMX out performing the Webers ,think it was on the CB Performance website...worth a look biggrin.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.