Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 early vrs late calipers issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
72 914, early. sent in calipers for rebuld - got 2 bleeder later calipers back from the rebuilder. when I asked about fitment here, the answers seemed a bit nebulous - mentioning strut issues and 3 different rotors. So, I gave it a go, They do bolt up to the mount just fine - but when I went to put the wheels back on - Uh Oh - found the fitment issue.

The newer caliper must be "taller" as it sticks up past the top of my rotor - so , obviously the wheels can't ride flush on the rotor cap.

so hopefully I can get the correct set back quickly, so I can move on.

Ok so my discription is poor at best - here is a photo from the rear of the rotor looking forward - notice how the top of the caliper extends above the top (flat tire mounting)
surface
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I don't understand what you mean--taller in what direction?

The early versus late thing will move the calipers either inboard toward the center of the car or outboard toward the fender. The caliper winds up no longer centered over the rotor.

I do not believe that the caliper moves enough to rub on the wheels, which is what you seem to be saying. If that is happening, your wheels may be at least part of the problem.

--DD
Tom_T
CalWB -

I don't know if you got them from PMB or Cardone/parts house or another.

If they're from Cardone - return them as incorrect for a full refund - their caliper work is crap! Then go to PMB for a proper rebuild + full restoration.

If from PMB, return them to get a correct single bleeder early caliper 70-72. IIRC the caliper bodies or something are a tad bigger & can affect fitment.

Note that the front Hubs ARE definitely different 70-72 vs 73-76 - cuz in 73 MY they introduced the self-centering "Hubcentric" front hubs with the ridge around the axle hole which then requires the later wheels with the opposing inset - early wheel p/ns: end in -00, late with -01. See the O&H Forum nailed topic on Wheels & Tires for pix of the -00 vs -01 wheels.

So if you also changed front hubs (or a PO did), then that could also be your wheel fitment issue.

With our 914s it is always best for all parts to stick with the same MY as much as possible, or at least by era (early vs. late), so that everything works together & properly as the factory intended. Yeah, you can get some to work together with some kluges & adaptations, but you're still better off with properly MY matched parts wherever possible.

PS - Note that at MY change-over they sometimes mixed prior with current MY parts to use up the parts stocks where they worked together, such as my very early Aug. 72 build 73 MY having late fronts & early rear calipers, & a few other early parts such as chrome window cranks. This was common & shows that some parts mixing can indeed be done successfully. So in my case I'll be asking Eric at PMB to just restore & return my exact calipers to avoid any issues (as well as to keep my 914 as original as possible).

And before some asshat jumps in here to say I don't know what I'm talking about, this is also the sage advice of my long time mechanic who was factory trained on 914s back in 1969!

Good Luck .... again! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 4 2017, 10:26 AM) *

I don't understand what you mean--taller in what direction?

The early versus late thing will move the calipers either inboard toward the center of the car or outboard toward the fender. The caliper winds up no longer centered over the rotor.

I do not believe that the caliper moves enough to rub on the wheels, which is what you seem to be saying. If that is happening, your wheels may be at least part of the problem.

--DD

sorry for my poor discription Dave, i went back and added a photo into the original post, it doesn't rub on the wheel, it extends beyond the flat top of the rotor - so the wheel will not mount flat onto the top of the rotor., I tried it with both original wheels and a set of empis i have. Both of them worked fine with the original (early ) rotors.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 4 2017, 10:47 AM) *

CalWB -

I don't know if you got them from PMB or Cardone/parts house or another.

If they're from Cardone - return them as incorrect for a full refund - their caliper work is crap! Then go to PMB for a proper rebuild + full restoration.

If from PMB, return them to get a correct single bleeder early caliper 70-72. IIRC the caliper bodies or something are a tad bigger & can affect fitment.

Note that the front Hubs ARE definitely different 70-72 vs 73-76 - cuz in 73 MY they introduced the self-centering "Hubcentric" front hubs with the ridge around the axle hole which then requires the later wheels with the opposing inset - early wheel p/ns: end in -00, late with -01. See the O&H Forum nailed topic on Wheels & Tires for pix of the -00 vs -01 wheels.

So if you also changed front hubs (or a PO did), then that could also be your wheel fitment issue.

With our 914s it is always best for all parts to stick with the same MY as much as possible, or at least by era (early vs. late), so that everything works together & properly as the factory intended. Yeah, you can get some to work together with some kluges & adaptations, but you're still better off with properly MY matched parts wherever possible.

PS - Note that at MY change-over they sometimes mixed prior with current MY parts to use up the parts stocks where they worked together, such as my very early Aug. 72 build 73 MY having late fronts & early rear calipers, & a few other early parts such as chrome window cranks. This was common & shows that some parts mixing can indeed be done successfully. So in my case I'll be asking Eric at PMB to just restore & return my exact calipers to avoid any issues (as well as to keep my 914 as original as possible).

And before some asshat jumps in here to say I don't know what I'm talking about, this is also the sage advice of my long time mechanic who was factory trained on 914s back in 1969!

Good Luck .... again! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom, yeah I looked at the VIN to confirm early rotors - and thats what came off the car. Just a mistake in what was returned - probably at least partly because I also sent in a complete set of a late car - a month after I sent in the originals, so I suspect that created the confusion / issue. i have emailed the supplier, and will call them monday morning, I assume it will not be an issue to get it corrected!
Calwaterbear
Just to put this too bed. PMB confirmed that the early vrs late FRONT calipers are actually different, so I will exchange with them - and Bobs your Uncle - on with the show we will go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.