Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue original car on the bird...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
BuddyV
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...4-survivor.html

Hard to believe this is original paint..... hhmmmmm......

beerchug.gif
mepstein
Origional or not, it sure looks great and is priced great if the description of the condition holds up.
Racer
Could be overspray.. could also been someone cleaning the inside of the fender to see how the paint looked (as a way to check if still original?) Likely the homely look on steelies with hubcaps. I would say some of the paint looks very nice, if indeed original. Not sure I would have an issue with a quality respray in the past 40+ years either...
IronHillRestorations
Looks like an exceptional example.
JmuRiz
As Racer said, probably just worn away undercoating from rocks/debris and/or trying to clean the wells Really nice looking car
Cairo94507
That's a great looking car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I can tell that it is an original car just by looking at the cleanliness under the front trunk via the headlight motors and heater blower hoses, and in the engine compartment via the original plastic blower hoses. That place in the wheel well is just like someone mentioned, clipped away undercoating not overspray.

Someone painted the control unit bracket blue however, it is supposed to be semi gloss and they have also replaced the pre heat hose with the cheap aluminum stuff. The "more pictures to follow" should reveal the rest. If the car continues to show like it does in these first pictures, even though an early car (70-72, this one is a jan 72 and up production, superior to the 8/71-12/71 72 produced cars) it is an absolute bargain
Nutter965
Does anyone on the world here know the person selling this 914 on the bird or where it's located I be interested as an original 914 along side my project would be very cool !
Pm me if anyone can help, I've pm'd the seller ....
era vulgaris
This is NOT an original paint car. Randy Wentzel, aka RoadGlue here on the world, did a PPI on this car for me back in April of this year. The front and rear trunk hoods have been re-sprayed and the color match is quite poor to the rest of the car. The seller that I was dealing with was the one who had the hoods re-sprayed.

World member bobboinski also test drove the car as he was interested in it for himself but passed on it, and contacted me later when he found out I was interested in it. He claimed that there was poorly repaired (lots of bondo) accident damage to the rear panel above the bumper. Randy didn't seem to think it was accident damage but saw that something had indeed happened.
The seller at the time confirmed that there was some kind of damage to the rear, but couldn't say what it was because it happened prior to his ownership. I have a photo of the inside of the rear trunk where you can see that latch was de-formed and bent back in place.

I have many pics of this car. In the pics I have you can clearly see the poor color match. The ones in this current listing look a bit filtered, but you can still see the color mismatch on the shot looking at the back of the car between the rear trunk hood and the rear fender. I ended up passing on the car because of not being able to see the rear end damage in person made me nervous, and because of the poor color match.

Asking price at the time was $9k, so this may be a different seller than the one I dealt with, or he just raised his price.
Other than that, it wasn't a bad car, but just not what I was looking for. It's very solid otherwise, and I have a bunch of pics if anyone interested wants them.

EDIT: This isn't the same seller I dealt with. The car was in Santa Rosa, CA when I was looking at it. Looking through other for sale threads from the seller iluv911 on Pelican, he appears to be in New Jersey. I also recognize his garage from other ads. He's a flipper, and I'm pretty sure he's a member here too. I did some digging...I'm pretty sure the guy goes by the name lostreasure.

QUOTE(Jumperbolt @ May 5 2016, 09:10 PM) *

"lostreasure", aka Frank Schilling, Bridgewater, NJ, is an absolute nightmare to deal with as a seller or a buyer. He's extremely evasive. Communication with him is maddening. ALL of his ebay auctions are pulled. If you deal with him, you are flat out wasting your time. He ran me around for two months when I was dealing with him. What an idiot I was. He's been busted on here and hard on FerrariChat. Go back and check the links from the posts here when he was selling his "13K" mile "original". If he posts one of his cars here and you call him 7 seconds after it's posted, I guarantee that he'll tell you he already has multiple offers on the car. He immediately goes to the full court pressure sale and builds tension. Forget asking him more questions about this "sale". He won't respond, and why, b/c he no longer needs you.
era vulgaris
Here's a couple of my pics. Note the difference in color between the cowl and the hood, and the front edge of the driver's side fender and the hood.
And then on the rear of the car, above the passenger tail light you can really see the difference in color between the trunk lid and the passenger rear fender.
era vulgaris
I have a better pic than this of the rear trunk latch somewhere, but I'll have to find it. But you can first of all see the wavy cross member at the rear. And if you look at the latch assembly, there's a black blotch of rust-proofing paint right where it meets the crossmember. That blotch is hiding a split where the latch folded down and was then bent back in place. BTW, this is how the rear trunk looked in April. The new seller definitely re-painted it. And the inside of the front trunk has been painted as well, because all the little paint chips are gone. Any claim of original paint is bogus as far as I'm concerned.
BTW, look at the difference in color between the headlight cover and the fender. Then take a look at the new seller's photos, and you'll see that that area is cropped out of every shot of the front trunk.
era vulgaris
Here's a video that Randy took where you can really see the color mismatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mw2VIHg0fk...eature=youtu.be
mepstein
Thanks Era. Good reason to always see a car in person before you buy.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2017, 06:59 PM) *

Thanks Era. Good reason to always see a car in person before you buy.

It's my pleasure. As I'm sure you know, I have a very sore spot for dishonest sellers ar15.gif
And this thread is case in point of why a PPI is so important. An entire thread page full of praise heaped on a car that is misrepresented, and had it not been for the fact that I actually know this car I would've been right there with you guys.
Nutter965
Darn it ! Always the way ! Just when you think it's just right !!!

The world strikes again :-)
BuddyV
What gets me - if this person really intends to sell for this asking price - is that the price seems reasonable with full disclosure. Looks presentable to me.

But now I would be wondering what ELSE is there to discover.

blink.gif
nickg
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Nov 12 2017, 10:59 AM) *

What gets me - if this person really intends to sell for this asking price - is that the price seems reasonable with full disclosure. Looks presentable to me.

But now I would be wondering what ELSE is there to discover.

blink.gif

i live close to this seller. He is very short and does not reply to you if you are close enough to inpect the car...he says it's sold already
I have been out of the porsche game for a good number of years, but i think i know this guy.
Fatboy007
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Nov 7 2017, 06:47 PM) *

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...4-survivor.html

Hard to believe this is original paint..... hhmmmmm......

beerchug.gif

Wow if its all true sonebody grab this baby blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.