Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine almoswt quits at 4000 rpm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meares
just put the GD 2.0L in...got it back yesterday..now it almost quits at 4000 revs...it's strong until then and then it sounds like it loads up with fuel and fowls the plugs....feels like it running on 1 or 2 cylinders headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif this is REALLY starting to piss me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
redshift
Wait wait wait... injected?

Is it stumbling? If these are the symptoms, sput... taa taa...sputt...aaa... and injected, may be a simple TPS cleaning/readjustment.

?

That help at all?

M
goose2
It could be lots of things, but when I had a similar sounding problem it turned out to be the trigger points. One each of the two contact sets triggers 2 injectors. If the rubbing blocks get worn down, 2 cyls. stop firing...seems to happen first at higher rpms for some reason.
meares
i just turned the grey knob at the "box" (i guess control panel/box) all the way to right...clock-wise. it idles better but DAMN i smell A LOT A LOT of fuel..i'll turn it back down......it seems like now that it 'loads up' at 2 or 3 revs now instead of waiting for 4000. ..............Where are the trigger points?...THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
meares
confused24.gif are the points in the dist. cap?
mihai914
The trigger points are in the distributor but all the way at the bottom where you have the 4 or 3 contact plug. You will have to remove the whole thing. Try and clean them because they're much more expensive than the ingnition points.

Mihai
Markeydoo
My 2.0 was doing the same thing. I changed out every thing except the trigger points. Got feed up with it and took it to get serviced. they replaced the trigger points and now it runs great.
Mark
meares
if i go to an XR 3000 and all the related side items that it needs will it eliminate the need for the fuel inj. points? confused24.gif
lapuwali
No. However, trigger points generally only need replacing every 40-50K miles, and never need adjusting.
meares
are the 1.7 and 2L interchangable?
mihai914
QUOTE (meares @ May 30 2005, 03:07 PM)
are the 1.7 and 2L interchangable?

Yes they are.

Mihai
meares
how many do i need to buy 2 or 4?
mihai914
Just one, it's all in one unit,finally found a picture.

Mihai
meares
pelican parts you think????
moneysmarts
PP has got them.
Or you can try this link.
http://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/lookup_p...categoryid=6064
Let us know if changing the trigger points solves the problem.
I've had a very similar issue and have not yet resolved it.
Maybe mine's the trigger points, too.
moneysmarts
You can also try this.
http://www.carpartsteam.com/PO_914_Engine+...Points_019.html
About $72
Rhodes71/914
It amazes me how many FI problems are fixed with new trigger points. I recently had a stumbling problem at a certain rpm range which progressively turn into a no run issue. I went through a bunch of ignition and fuel troubleshooting before I finaly changed out the trigger points to a spare I had. Fixed the problem immediately.

I will now always carry a spare set.
meares
if i can get the shop to pull it in and look at it i'll let y'all know what it is.......the shop works on A LOT of cup cars so it's hard to get any respect, BUT my $86/hour is the same as theirs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.