Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 90o AN fitting to the stock cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I have AN hose that I'll be running from the 914/6 oil tank to the (engine mounted) oil cooler. I know that the cooler has to be modified but since I have a simple weld-on straight AN adapter, couldn't I just weld that adapter onto the blank end of the cooler's pipe then use a 90 degree AN fitting to attach it to the hose? I mean is there enough room to do that? Would the cooler's pipe (which has no threads) have to be shortened, by how much? Would a 45 degree fitting work..I already have one of those? I haven't seen anyone do it this way, only seen 90 degree fittings welded to the cooler's pipe..any pics?

Doug C
michel richard
Not sure exactly what you mean, but there is very very little room outside the oil cooler, maybe less than an inch. That's why you really have to make that connection inboard of the cooler edge.

Michel Richard
914/6 2.2E MFI
brant
Doug,

here is my pic:
DougC
OK that confirms I'll have to cut/shorten the cooler's pipe, but there's no other reason an AN 90 or 45 degree fitting couldn't be attached to it via an adapter? Cooler/ weld on straight AN adapter / 45or90 degree AN fitting / AN hose / Tank.. that's the plan I guess.

Doug C
DougC
Brant, looks like you have the 45degree AN fitting that I'm talking about (and have) AND you also have a 90degree fitting to the cooler's pipe (I have a straight fitting instead) ... from your point of view is that necessary? Basically what I'm suggesting is to do it like you have but without the 90deg fitting, just bend the hose slightly..and connect the two pieces.

Doug C
brant
My cooler came with thread, and I bought the 45 because I thought I needed it (but didn't)

If you got the cooler exit pipe length exactly right (as the guy who modified mine did) the you could get away with a straight fitting instead of a 45. If you were to get the cooler exit pipe length wrong then you would need the 45.

I think the 45 is safest.

does that answer your question?

also, if I had it to do over I would add a bung to the cooler on that exit pipe as an oil drain. Next time my motor is out I intend to do this, because this is the fitting you have to open up to drain the oil (and its tight in there)

brant
brant
Doug,

I just re-read your question..
and I think I understand it better now.

In my opinion, the answer is No.
those lines are not flexible enough to make the bend with out a 90degree in there somewhere.

there really isn't much extra room down there..
Plus on ours that line is a size -16, and doesn't make tight turns what so ever!

brant
michel richard
QUOTE (brant @ May 25 2005, 12:37 PM)

also, if I had it to do over I would add a bung to the cooler on that exit pipe as an oil drain. Next time my motor is out I intend to do this, because this is the fitting you have to open up to drain the oil (and its tight in there)

brant

like this ?
DougC
Hey thanks for the input, looks like I'm gonna have to buy a 90deg AN fitting then and use the 45 that I have on something else or sell it. BTW, regarding the oil drain situation..I'd like to buy a drain fitting like the one in the "914 Engine Swap" article in Excellence a couple of months back. The guy had added it right around where the hose goes under and into the wheel well..must be much easier to change the oil. BUt, I can't figure out who sells it.

Doug C
DougC
BTW, does anyone know the diameter of the cooler pipe (mine's a late model, no thread)? Is it the same as the hard-line "return" pipe? If so I have an extra one of those that I might be able to steal a 90deg turn off of...wait is it aluminum or brass?

Doug C
brant
QUOTE (michel richard @ May 25 2005, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ May 25 2005, 12:37 PM)

also, if I had it to do over I would add a bung to the cooler on that exit pipe as an oil drain.  Next time my motor is out I intend to do this, because this is the fitting you have to open up to drain the oil (and its tight in there)

brant

like this ?

Nice Micheal...

yup, pretty much like that..

I'm going to wait until the next time the motor is out and then come up with something similar.

good idea!

brant
brant
Doug,

I never did see that article but would love to see the picture...

anychance that you (or someone with a copy) could scan the pic into this thread?

brant
DougC
Hopefully someone will, My camera and mag are at home.. I may end up calling the company that did the install to get the source if I have to ...I think they're out of Georgia.

Doug C
brant
I haven't seen the magazine.
but I think the owner is Greg Debord (sp?)

he is a really really nice guy that frequents the rennlist.
I'll bet you could track him down over on the rennlist and he could answer some of the questions about that fitting...

or if he didn't actually know, he could at least give you a phone number to the shop

brant
michel richard
Bant,

I'm sure you've figured this out, but still.

I just used a piece of aluminum bar, shaped it to fit the ol cooler tube, and had it welded on, after drilling and tapping for the bolt. The only thing is u should make sure you mark the spot where you're gonna weld it on, so that you're not above a piece of header.

Michel
brant
QUOTE (michel richard @ May 25 2005, 04:10 PM)
Bant,

I'm sure you've figured this out, but still.

I just used a piece of aluminum bar, shaped it to fit the ol cooler tube, and had it welded on, after drilling and tapping for the bolt. The only thing is u should make sure you mark the spot where you're gonna weld it on, so that you're not above a piece of header.

Michel

thats exactly how my dad and I had discussed it...

so that the drain bolt did not impeded the cooler tube flow in any way and that we were just creating a tiny reservoir below the tube for the bolt to intrude into.

looks good!
brant
736conver
Doug,

Did you check out www.pegasusautoracing.com

They should have all the connectors or weld on fittings you need. I know they have that drain "t" you saw in excellence.

Joe Bob
"I" did it the cheap bastard way....used an old 911 oil line, 30mm on one end connects to the tank, cut off the fitting on the other side, slipped it over the oil cooler pipe and then used two heavy duty hose clamps.

No leaks ...I DID have to do it twice because the first line had a few pinholes, that's what ya get when ya use used parts.......found another line that didn't leak....but BOTH never leaked where the hose clamps were...

Clamps then are removed and the line slides off when doing oil changes. I like this idea better as the oil cooler tube is soft aluminum and is not supported anymore after trimmimg to fit in a 914...

Any twisting action on a fitting when you want to break it loose for an oil change would tend to weaken the weld at the cooler body....

If THAT breaks....ya gotta pull the cooler and repair or replace....seen it happen on a few conversions.

Just my experience.

brant
Thats a good idea Mike..

but I would just add, that the cooler exit should still be supported when it is modified. (mine has a support welded back into it)..

but that is still a good idea, and even with the support the cooler is still going to be delicate and not take any real twisting.

brant
Joe Bob
Well....even WITH a new support welded in....the fact that there is a fitting there...which isn't REALLY designed to be busted loose on a regular basis is not a GUD idea in my book.

Since the line is low pressure....an AN flared fitting is over kill. The point would be moot if there was a drain plug in the tank on the 911s.... blink.gif

OR that drain "T" mention earlier....
Joe Bob
Went to Pegasus...din't see the "T" but did see a quick disconnect that might have some possibilities...if yer into gee wiz stuff that no one ever sees.... dry.gif

Quick D
brant
hey Doug,

I found this pic too and I thought it had a better view point or perspective.. of the space available:
DougC
Yes, that pic helps and I'm saving it for future reference. I looked at pegasus' website before I posted this thread and didn't see the drain fitting.. may have better luck just calling them though, which I'll do eventually.

Mike, that 911 hose doesn't crimp itself closed at the 90 degree turn? Got a picture?

Doug C
Joe Bob
I can take pics later but the hose comes straight down without any bends....I cut the pipe a bit further back towards the cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.