Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saratoga Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
I've got a Saratoga top from my '71 I've had since the mid to late 70's I want to sell. I have someone interested and have NO idea what it's worth. Still have original shipping box and it is in good shape considering age.

None on ebay etc... someone has one for a 944 though.

Any ideas??
mepstein
$1-1.5K depending on condition.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 8 2017, 10:39 AM) *

That is pretty optimistic, I know of several people who have them and realize it was an 70's - 80's fad that has never come back in style. I bet there are a lot of those tops sitting in storage now. I think it is one of those after market items that you have to find the right person to sell it to, but $1 - $1.5K I don't think so. If someone offers you $500 take it.
pete000
Put it on ebay and see what happens. If you get two people who just have to have it you might be really happy.
theer
There's guy over on Rennlist looking for one - or maybe that is your guy?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951...ratoga-top.html
GeorgeRud
I would also recommend eBay to get an idea. I don’t have one for my 914,but I do have one for my 911 Targa and love it. I had to pay over 1K for it a few years ago and felt it was a fair deal.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2017, 07:39 AM) *

agree.gif but it would be finding a buyer that really wants one,if you aren't in a hurry to sell you will get a better price...sorry but worth more than $500 if in good condition.
turbonet
I've always wanted a Saratoga top
Vysoc
Five or so years ago I had a nice Saratoga Top that came with my 75 that I purchased in Massachusetts. I advertised it on 914 World and David Seeland the Porsche 356 Tech guru purchased it from me for $800.00.
I spent and Hour wrapping it up in a huge box with a ton of packing material for the shipment from Florida to Colorado. My UPS guy even approved the packing as did his supervisor.
UPS dropped it off the belt somewhere in the Midwest and then ran it over with a forklift, the fork lift tire tracks were clearly right over the box. I filed a claim with UPS and was paid promptly, the buyer thought I shipped him a cracked top, but it was clear in the pictures with date stamp that the top was intact prior to shipment.
At that time $800.00 was considered a good deal for a Saratoga Top in good shape many I have seen have gone for $1000.00 or more.

Might have been a good idea to have insured it for more?

My 02.

Vysoc flag.gif
SKL1
Going to see what shipping will cost as it is definitely FRAGILE!! Not looking to make a killing, just want a fair price for both of us. It is in decent shape, but I don't think they were in "concours" condition even when new!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
914 Rubber has done a couple runs of this style top too.
petza914
Old thread, but did you ever sell the Saratoga Top? If so and someone else has one, I'd like to get one for my car. PM me or send an email to petza914@gmail.com.

Thanks.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(petza914 @ Sep 19 2018, 01:29 AM) *

Old thread, but did you ever sell the Saratoga Top? If so and someone else has one, I'd like to get one for my car. PM me or send an email to petza914@gmail.com.

Thanks.

I have #11 of the first run of WAS tops that 914rubber.com made, and I may be willing to sell it. its pretty nice. If you are interested and want to see it, come down to bluffton SC , come during the Concours week Nov 3-4. We live right off the island.

Phil
petza914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 19 2018, 08:14 AM) *

QUOTE(petza914 @ Sep 19 2018, 01:29 AM) *

Thanks.

I have #11 of the first run of WAS tops that 914rubber.com made, and I may be willing to sell it. its pretty nice. If you are interested and want to see it, come down to bluffton SC , come during the Concours week Nov 3-4. We live right off the island.

Phil

Phil,

I'm tied up that weekend already. Can you send me photos to my e-mail - petza914@gmail.com

Thanks.

Pete
Mikey914
Redid the tooling just need to get some bonded up. The time consuming part is polishing these.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Nov 8 2017, 08:21 PM) *

Five or so years ago I had a nice Saratoga Top that came with my 75 that I purchased in Massachusetts. I advertised it on 914 World and David Seeland the Porsche 356 Tech guru purchased it from me for $800.00.
I spent and Hour wrapping it up in a huge box with a ton of packing material for the shipment from Florida to Colorado. My UPS guy even approved the packing as did his supervisor.
UPS dropped it off the belt somewhere in the Midwest and then ran it over with a forklift, the fork lift tire tracks were clearly right over the box. I filed a claim with UPS and was paid promptly, the buyer thought I shipped him a cracked top, but it was clear in the pictures with date stamp that the top was intact prior to shipment.
At that time $800.00 was considered a good deal for a Saratoga Top in good shape many I have seen have gone for $1000.00 or more.

Might have been a good idea to have insured it for more?

My 02.

Vysoc flag.gif

Horray for UPS (United Package Smashers).

We stopped using them at my last job because they tore up a 10K server in shipping and wouldn't pay for it. They said it was incorrectly packaged. It was in the factory box from Dell.

ClayPerrine
They are neat, but I wouldn't have one. Here in Texas it would be like frying ants with a magnifying glass.

Nacho
I've came across a few on Craigslist $250-300 I asked the reason for selling and almost everyone said it sucks to HOT! feels like having a magnifying glass baking your head!
Nacho
I've came across a few on Craigslist $250-300 I asked the reason for selling and almost everyone said it sucks to HOT! feels like having a magnifying glass baking your head!
Mikey914
There is a definite thermal gain. These are great for the pacific northwest when it's raining.

wes
I had a Saratoga top and even on a somewhat cooler and bright cloudy day there like a greenhouse. I have one of Mark’s 914Ruber tops and they are much cooler. Wouldn’t be a good idea for a warm sunny day but that’s when the top is in the trunk. I consider the 914rubber top much better also because it doesn’t Whistle as I drive like my old Saratoga tops did. As it generally gos Mark’s products are the improved version!
nickg
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 19 2018, 09:15 PM) *

Redid the tooling just need to get some bonded up. The time consuming part is polishing these.

do you have any pictures of these> cost?
Mikey914
We had put them to the side for awhile as the polishing is massively labor intensive.
We have also looked at a few improvements that we can make. These are on the priority list. Let me roll this one around the shop and production. We do need to get these on the schedule as most of the parts are made.
Krieger
Mark, you really need to stop talking about your tops in every single post that comes up about Saratoga tops or any possible chance you get. I signed up for your group buy for your top at least 6 years ago! I pulled out in early 2014 and yes you made it right, but jeez man stop leading people on like it's just around the corner.
Mikey914
They are a huge project I do plan to complete. They probably take up 5% of my shop space, so yes I have not given up on them, but really there has not been that much demand. I did a run of 12, with another 5 after that. I have enough material to do another 5 on hand, but they take about 20 hours each to finish. I haven't been able to break off that much time. So yes, they are right around the corner. If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.
petza914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 21 2018, 08:01 AM) *

If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.

If the good Dr doesn't want to sell me his, I'd be in for 1.
Chi-town
These tops sound kind of interesting, can someone post a picture or two of them on the car?
nickg

They are a huge project I do plan to complete. They probably take up 5% of my shop space, so yes I have not given up on them, but really there has not been that much demand. I did a run of 12, with another 5 after that. I have enough material to do another 5 on hand, but they take about 20 hours each to finish. I haven't been able to break off that much time. So yes, they are right around the corner. If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.

I will buy one
DRPHIL914
not the best picture but it is the WAS top on the car right after gettingit
Mike Fitton
If you want one of these tops just post a WTB there a lot of these just sitting in storage. Does anyone have a Chalon kit for sale, Lol!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(petza914 @ Sep 21 2018, 12:08 PM) *

If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.

sorry I have not gotten back to you about this, I have been pretty busy and forgot, I will send you a few pictures because there are a couple minor flaws that I will have to point out. I know the tops mark will be doing new will have a better fit and finish that the first run of the I am sure. There are always improvements on things like this froma production standpoint, version 1, vs version 2or 3. I am a bit conflicted as to whether or not I want to sell it but I have 3 tops in my garage, my original one that is pristine condition, and one that the PO painted body color and put a pop up moon roof into it( I actually like this one for hot days here as it keeps my head from being fried but lets lots of air move thru better) and the WAS/Saratoga. Almost sold it 2 years ago at Okteenerfest , I actually offered it up for sale at $500 blink.gif blink.gif and the guy passed on it(I think we paid $750 on the group buy plus shipping) I am glad he didn't buy it as I think its worth keeping if I cant sell it for more than that.
But you will like having one I think, they do not have the same thermal effect as those glass tops. and they are very light.

PHil
petza914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 25 2018, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(petza914 @ Sep 21 2018, 12:08 PM) *

sorry I have not gotten back to you about this, I have been pretty busy and forgot, I will send you a few pictures because there are a couple minor flaws that I will have to point out. I know the tops mark will be doing new will have a better fit and finish that the first run of the I am sure. There are always improvements on things like this froma production standpoint, version 1, vs version 2or 3. I am a bit conflicted as to whether or not I want to sell it but I have 3 tops in my garage, my original one that is pristine condition, and one that the PO painted body color and put a pop up moon roof into it( I actually like this one for hot days here as it keeps my head from being fried but lets lots of air move thru better) and the WAS/Saratoga. Almost sold it 2 years ago at Okteenerfest , I actually offered it up for sale at $500 blink.gif blink.gif and the guy passed on it(I think we paid $750 on the group buy plus shipping) I am glad he didn't buy it as I think its worth keeping if I cant sell it for more than that.
But you will like having one I think, they do not have the same thermal effect as those glass tops. and they are very light.

PHil

Yes, please send the photos and flaw info. Fit atop the passenger side B-pillar doesn't look perfect, but might be correct able.

Great looking car BTW.

Thanks.
stevemkantor@aol.com
Anyone have a 914 Saratoga top for sale? Text me at 310-890-1535.

Steve
RobM
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 9 2017, 02:24 AM) *

I've got a Saratoga top from my '71 I've had since the mid to late 70's I want to sell. I have someone interested and have NO idea what it's worth. Still have original shipping box and it is in good shape considering age.

Any ideas??

You still have them? I was looking for one. Plinkington classics was making them recently for US$500. Now they're distributor says there's no stock at the moment
Steve
QUOTE(RobM @ Oct 13 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Any ideas??

You still have them? I was looking for one. Plinkington classics was making them recently for US$500. Now they're distributor says there's no stock at the moment

Three year old response, pretty desparate.. poke.gif
I would just PM the guy and see if he still has it. I bought a 914 rubber WAS top second from somebody who bought one from one of the group buys from 914rubber. I had to elongate the holes to use the stock mounting brackets, but otherwise I am quite happy with it!!
brcacti

Horray for UPS (United Package Smashers).

We stopped using them at my last job because they tore up a 10K server in shipping and wouldn't pay for it. They said it was incorrectly packaged. It was in the factory box from Dell.
[/quote]

I have seen UPS, fed X and USPS ALL destroy different items. USPS would not even pay for the broken items I sent and they were insured. Foot prints on box ect they don't care. If I remember right the saratoga top is a glass top ??? I would not even think of sending that, nothing glass.
brcacti
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 04:46 PM) *

There is a definite thermal gain. These are great for the pacific northwest when it's raining.

agree.gif for a cold weather place
petza914
I bought one from the messages in this thread. Seller made a wooden crate to ship it in and it was so nice, I added a couple hinges to it and use it as a hinged storage box for my original smooth and paint matched top while I have the Saratoga Top installed. It's really a cool novelty item for the 914 and I'm glad I was able to find a good one at a great price.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(petza914 @ Oct 13 2020, 10:34 PM) *

I bought one from the messages in this thread. Seller made a wooden crate to ship it in and it was so nice, I added a couple hinges to it and use it as a hinged storage box for my original smooth and paint matched top while I have the Saratoga Top installed. It's really a cool novelty item for the 914 and I'm glad I was able to find a good one at a great price.

that looks SWEEET with your black car!.

I sold my WAS top last year at Okteenerfest to another member. i just didnt use it much or have room for it in new place, hope the new owner likes it and is using it!

Phil
RobM

Any ideas??

long shot but i don;t suppose you still have it?

Mikey914
Jim Hoyland will be getting the 1st of our new version at WCR next week!
SO.O.C914er
Can’t wait to see it. Your giving it to the right man! Jim’s every where to help market this for you. smilie_pokal.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 8 2021, 11:45 AM) *

Can’t wait to see it. Your giving it to the right man! Jim’s every where to help market this for you. smilie_pokal.gif

You are welcome to test it out on your car for a week or so; i think you would really like it and it will go with upgraded 914…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.