Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intalling an Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Hi Everyone,

I'm kicking around the idea of replacing the alternator in my 1972 1.7. I have replaced alternators before (but that was in front engine cars in easy to get to areas). Can you all give me information on the degree of difficulty for this car? Are there any videos on this? Scale of 1-10?

PS - I understand I would remove both the tightening bolt (under the plastic covers) and the pivot bolt, harness, etc. I have no heater tubes to remove....

...Just thinking about it... aka this car is costing me some serious $s

Thanks for any help!
IronHillRestorations
Not difficult, just a hassle. I use about 18" of extensions to loosen the nut for the pivot bolt
iankarr
It's about as difficult as changing spark plugs.

Since you don't have any heater tubes to remove, it'll be super easy to access the pivot bolt nut (13mm). Use a hex socket or T-wrench on the adjusting bolt up top.

The hardest part will probably be getting the wiring harness through the grommet. And that's pretty simple.

Enjoy.
saigon71
It's really not that bad. Just take your time.
914_teener
I think McMark (Mark) did a write up on this in the technical section...step by step.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 8 2017, 01:58 PM) *

I think McMark (Mark) did a write up on this in the technical section...step by step.

agree.gif

Here it is: http://www.914world.com/specs/alternator_replacement.php
EdwardBlume
Follow the write up (McMark) to a T, and you'll be just fine. The bitchy part is putting the alternator, tin, and gasket up in there on installation. I'd recommend a new alt harness from Bowlsby or 914rubber while you're at it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.