Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion complete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
After 2 months of being up on jackstands the conversion to 5 lug is complete! It took a little longer than I had anticipated, but I am pleased with the results! Click to view attachment
jd74914
Looks great!
Spoke
Love it!

The 914 looks great with big boy wheels. I've 5-lugged both of the 914s I've owned.
Coondog
Looks great, Congrats
bahnzai
Looks great! What size wheels & tires did you go with?
ChrisFoley
Looks good Jim!
BENBRO02
Nice, this is an inspiration to all us four lugs owners.
Mueller
Car looks great!
blabla914
Nice to see someone else from CT.
boxsterfan
5-lug Fuchs on a 914 just belongs there.
sdearman
Looks fantastic, did you do a complete kit conversion or did you do bits and pieces independently> Looking at doing this and wondering best route to go?
jrblackbox
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Nov 9 2017, 04:12 AM) *

Thanks, the wheels are 15x7 tires are 205/60. There is some rubbing on the drivers side rear at the fender lip, so I need to source another set of wheels. hissyfit.gif
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 9 2017, 07:39 AM) *

Looks good Jim!

Thanks Chris! Wouldn't have gotten this far without your great work!
jrblackbox
QUOTE(sdearman @ Nov 9 2017, 02:35 PM) *

Looks fantastic, did you do a complete kit conversion or did you do bits and pieces independently> Looking at doing this and wondering best route to go?

PMB
dax1969
Looks great but stupid question now : why changing fm 4 lug to 5 lug. Better handling or more choice in wider wheels ?

Thks
Dax
jrblackbox
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Nov 9 2017, 03:00 PM) *

Looks great but stupid question now : why changing fm 4 lug to 5 lug. Better handling or more choice in wider wheels ?

Thks
Dax

One word. Fuchs
GeorgeRud
There are more wheel choices with the 5 lug setup as well as more brake options. Also, if the car’s fenders are flared, the wider tires need wider wheels. Basically you switch from VW struts to Porsche struts up front, and redrill or replace the rear hubs.
mepstein
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Nov 9 2017, 06:00 PM) *

Thks
Dax

Choices
And 5 lug Fuchs are pretty.

But a well set up 914-4 with (like new) stock suspension, brakes and slightly wider than stock tires is a wonderful car. Except for acceleration, it will keep up with most of the cars on the road.
It also gets more thumbs up, waves and smiles than any other car I’ve driven.
Montreal914
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Nov 9 2017, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Nov 9 2017, 03:00 PM) *

Thks
Dax

One word. Fuchs

2.0 4 lugs are Fuchs too hide.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Nov 9 2017, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Nov 9 2017, 04:12 AM) *

Thanks, the wheels are 15x7 tires are 205/60. There is some rubbing on the drivers side rear at the fender lip, so I need to source another set of wheels. hissyfit.gif

Naaawww, just subtract a camber shim. Another 1/4 or 1/2 degree isn't going to hurt handling. Might even help if it's not to spec.
Mueller
Narrow the bearing housing like Rich Johnson did. I think he gained 15mm or possibly a little more.
RickS
You have great taste, but I need to refinish my wheels. Clear front wart? Good call! Enjoy your new look. 5 lug Fuchs transform the whole appearance.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Nov 9 2017, 06:40 PM) *

15x7 is a lot of wheel for the 914 stock rear fender, but you might be able to "massage" the fender by rolling a fat wooden dowel between the tire and fender.
It can be done without cracking the paint, and gain a quarter inch of clearance.
Jetsetsurfshop
[quote name='Racer Chris' date='Nov 10 2017, 05:30 AM' post='2547257']
[quote name='jrblackbox' date='Nov 9 2017, 06:40 PM' post='2547071']
[quote name='bahnzai' post='2546886' date='Nov 9 2017, 04:12 AM']
[/quote]
15x7 is a lot of wheel for the 914 stock rear fender, but you might be able to "massage" the fender by rolling a fat wooden dowel between the tire and fender.
It can be done without cracking the paint, and gain a quarter inch of clearance.
[/quote]

Can be done easily. I rolled mine out to fit 7s and I still put spacer to increase the track width. Now if i could get the damn 8s to fit. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.