Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: source for fasteners/bolts/nuts etc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
decided that if im pulling everything off of this car for paint etc I might as well try and replace most of the fasteners, bolts nuts - bright parts-
I know sometimes Bruce Stone does some of these and I have some of his powder coated parts - I know I can go to hardware store for new bolts and nuts but it would be nice to get it all zinc plated right??

jmitro
zinc plated nuts and bolts are available at the hardware store
mepstein
As much as I hate to say it, AA has a pretty complete kit of fasteners. It runs something like $130-150
Save all your old ones.
David in VA
I like belmetric.com, they have just about everything and prices aren't too bad.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2017, 12:45 PM) *

As much as I hate to say it, AA has a pretty complete kit of fasteners. It runs something like $130-150
Save all your old ones.

George's kit isn't perfect but it's real good, and well worth the price imo.
campbellcj
Pegasus also sells individual hardware bits as well as kits; I got a nice kit of cad-plated metric stuff from them. Also dzus fasteners and such things.
dlee6204
I get all my yellow zinc hardware from my local Fastenal. They usually have to order it but it only takes a few days and I buy in bulk so I always have some on hand.
1adam12
Specialty Fasteners is another source. http://www.specialty-fasteners.com/
defianty
I bought the AA kit for my restoration and it's been very good. My car had been apart in the past and many fasteners were missing and incorrect.
howlndog
I used to buy in bulk from Fabory Metrican, (www.fabory.com) because the price per fastener was cheap. I would save a reasonable amount for myself then sell the rest over on the bird site. Now, I usually buy from Belmetric.com, sometimes McMaster-Carr. However, McMaster doesn't offer much in metric zinc plated yellow passivated fasteners, anymore.
Mikey914
Bel Metric is good. We are also adding a complete hardware kit soon as well as odds and ends.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 9 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Bel Metric is good. We are also adding a complete hardware kit soon as well as odds and ends.

When will your kit be available? I should be ready for reassembly in late December/early January.
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
The AA kit is listed as an "interior" kit? Does anyone know if it contains the Trailing arm hardware?

Thanks!
bandjoey
ace hardware too
banananose914
When I was restoring my 914 I knew that I wanted to use all original hardware. As I took nuts, bolts and washers from the resto car and many donor cars, I would wire wheel them and send them out for re-plating. It usually runs between 60 and 80 dollars. It's time consuming, but at least you'll have original hardware.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 9 2017, 02:57 PM) *

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 9 2017, 05:14 PM) *

When will your kit be available? I should be ready for reassembly in late December/early January.

me too that is my timetable for reassembly, but while i am dissasmbling i am amassing my list of stuff . thanks for all the info, its great to have more source!
mepstein
QUOTE(Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You @ Nov 9 2017, 05:18 PM) *

The AA kit is listed as an "interior" kit? Does anyone know if it contains the Trailing arm hardware?

Thanks!

It does not
It’s (most) all the small nuts and bolts for the interior and latches.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 9 2017, 04:57 PM) *

Awesome!
Mikey914
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 9 2017, 02:14 PM) *

We are working on cataloging and identifying right now. Sourcing and finishing will put us into Jan. We intend to have the correct finish (in most cases a cad), this is what will take a little.
mark
campbellcj
FWIW I just needed some non corner-store type black-oxide finish stainless hardware bits, and based on this thread I found them at McMaster-Carr and had 'em in like 2 days. The only catch was I needed about 10pcs and 'had' to buy 50, but we're talking $5 or whatnot.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 19 2017, 06:31 AM) *

FWIW I just needed some non corner-store type black-oxide finish stainless hardware bits, and based on this thread I found them at McMaster-Carr and had 'em in like 2 days. The only catch was I needed about 10pcs and 'had' to buy 50, but we're talking $5 or whatnot.

I love McMaster Carr for stuff but I'd support Mikey if he starts selling it.

I used Ace locally as well for new metric bolts, but its hit and miss for finding everything you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.