Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corner balance on the 'cheap'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
custom alignment wants a total of $250 for a corner balance. they are a high-quality outfit, but i think i could do better.

budget scale sets start around $900. in other words, 3+ other locals and i could have a good deal going on.

or, does anyone know somewhere in the bay area that charges less, or would rent out, etc. etc. etc.??
r_towle
if you look for plans online, you would see a simple to build lever like system for a home scale.

Bascially (I hope someone has a pic to show you here)
there is a platform big enough to put the tire upon...from that platform are two arms that go on top of the scale.

Based upon how you build this rig, you can change the amount of pressure on the scale.

One half sits on the ground, this absorbs most of the weight, the scales tend to register under 200 lbs.

It is quite accurate..you either build four, or move one all over the place...several times to get it right.

Rich
Brad Roberts
Brandon Krause . He knows WAY more about the 914 than CA. Roger Krause racing.

B
d914
ebay or race junk, non digital scales are not that expensive, dirt track or circle track setup for corner balance. Have not bought but have looked around alittle.
Brad Roberts
If you want to go the homemade scale route.. stop by Britains and pick up my conversion pieces. They are in his backyard. They are lever arms (very nice ones). The scales are in my shop.

B
TravisNeff
Andy shared with me a little home recipe for weight jacking without scales. Makes it easier if you have threaded perches on the rear.

Basicaly you jack the front of the car at the very centerpoint (center along the width. A large oak plank will help spread the load. Jack the front of the car until you see the tires come off the ground (of course level ground) whichever side comes up first adjust the rear opposing corner until you even it out. Same with the rear (adjust the opposing front). If you have a ride height you like, you can unthread one full turn on one side, and thread in a half turn on the other to keep your heights right.

If you don't have ajustable rears you go through the same proces, but obviously you can only adjust the torsion bars.

I think I remember it correctly.
nebreitling
interesting.....

http://starship.org/aa/weight/
d914
how about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW
nebreitling
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)
If you want to go the homemade scale route.. stop by Britains and pick up my conversion pieces. They are in his backyard. They are lever arms (very nice ones). The scales are in my shop.

cool. i'll call britain. rather do it myself -- learn more that way.

n
grantsfo
Tony at TC Design knows 914's and he is reasonable.

http://www.tcdesignfab.com/Alignment.htm
anthony
If you do a search on the 911 bird board you'll find hours worth of reading on home brew alignment and corner balancing.

These are reasonable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4552341166

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4552424892

Here's an even cheaper way to check balance ($150):

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/product.asp?...UNHAP37J6T4CNL4

TimT
that speedway thing works well. I used to see a fellow at the track who would be checking/tweaking his car every day with that thing

you can also get digital scales for around $1200
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 25 2005, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)

cool. i'll call britain. rather do it myself -- learn more that way.

n

agree.gif
You're right. You will learn a lot. I knew very little of the process until I went thru it myself at a friends shop (with digital scales...nice). Now I would not trust a shop to do it for me unless I could be there while it's done (I'm referring to both corner balance and alignment).

One thing I found to be important, is to drive the car around the block to settle the suspension after each phase and double check your settings several times. This is one reason good shops charge so much - it's a time eater when it's done right. You might plan on spending the entire day completing the process. If you just buzz thru it you'll end up with very inaccurate settings.

I went thru this complete process 3 times to get the car to where I was satisfied. I went to more conservative alignment and camber settings all around and also managed a flat 50% cross balance. BIG difference in car's handling and predictability. Worth every minute you invest.

It's a cheap way to go faster. biggrin.gif
914efi
This is my cheap method. I have had the car on scales and it seems to correlate. You note the reading as the tire just comes off the ground at each corner. I put a sheet of paper under the tire to check when it lifts off. Jacks are ~$30.00, gauges are similar, machining can be done easily.
KenH
Borrow Brad's scales and DYI - it easy to do and you learn something.

I have very good results with the "Ruggles" type of scales.

Or "group" buy a set from ebay keep them for the the "Club".

I am sure there are several in the area that would like to get their cars balanced. Maybe rent them at low cost the help pay for them.

Ken
McMark
If the setup is not too large an cumbersome, I'd be willing to go in on a Bay Area group buy and host them here. I've got the space and I'm around nearly every weekend for people to come by and use them.
anthony
I'd be willing to go in on a set of scales though the Speedway motors thing looks like it's worth a try for $150.
scotty914
i like the jack arrangemnet i wonder how accurate it is. i wonder if a simple plate with a strain gauge and a dvm would work
ottox914
I've got a set of the ebay bathroom style scales and lever/pads. They are a 4:1 ratio. They work fine, you just get to a little more math than the fancy electronic ones. I think I paid about 250 or so for mine. They also have a swivel front pad for messing with allignment while on the scales- a nice feature.
Achtung Englander
Hey Nathan,
call me on 925 580 1947 I might be able to help you, I have a set of Logitechs and a digital camber guage
Ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.