Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need help with hotels in San Francisco
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
My wife and I are heading out to San Francisco at the end of October. She's attending a convention and I'll be looking for some fun things to do. driving.gif beer3.gif

Anyway, they've given us a list of hotels that are near the Moscone Center. Most of these hotels are between $275 and $325 a night.

1 San Francisco Marriott
2 The Argent
3 Hilton San Francisco
4 Renaissance Parc 55
5 Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
6 Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
7 Crowne Plaza Hotel
8 Executive Hotel Mark Twain
9 Grand Hyatt San Francisco
10 Handerly Union Square
11 Hotel Adagio
12 Hotel Metropolis
13 Hotel Nikko San Francisco
14 Hotel Palomar
15 Hotel Union Square
16 Hyatt Regency San Francisco
17 The King George Hotel
18 Monticello Inn
19 The Palace, A Starwood Hotel
20 Pan Pacific San Francisco
21 The Pickwick San Francisco
22 The Powell Hotel
23 Sir Francis Drake Hotel
24 Villa Florence Hotel
25 W San Francisco
26 Westin St. Francis

Now, being a 914 owner, I'm a cheap bastard. Are there any San Francisco locals that could suggest a decent hotel for a decent price? Preferably, the hotel would be somewhat near the Moscone Center and not have its own distinctive smell.

I noticed that GGR has an AX on October 29th. Anybody want to pick me up at my hotel?
Carl
Paul,
Many of those are some of the best SF hotels and are located around Union Square. It's about 6 to 8 blocks or so from there to Moscone Center. There are lots of hotels around Union Square. Excellent shopping and restaurants. In other words, it ain't gonna be cheap.

About the same distance away from Moscone but not at Union Square:
Harbor Court Hotel
165 Steuart St
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 882-1300

Or, if you're willing to stay further away from Moscone and take a cab, The Argonaut Hotel at Fisherman's Warf is really nice and not too big. I don't know about their rates.

Carl

anthony
Down along Van Ness near the Warf you'll find all the usual motels - Travel Lodge, Motel 6, Best Western. I'm sure those would run $100-200/night. If you are willing to stay out near the airport in South San Francisco you can also find around $100/night but of course you would need to rent a car. You could also stay in Oakland/Berkeley for much cheaper. Again you'd need a car or a place near a BART (railway system) station so your wife could go in to SF.

I've personally always wanted to stay at the St. Francis so if her work is paying for any part of it, I'd consider going for it.

That Saturday is also supposed to be the last Saturday of the month Bay Area 914 Club breakfast.

vortrex
I stayed recently at a place in union square (middle of it all), which is walking distance to the center, for less than $60 a night. it wasn't too bad, but I doubt you want to go that budget.

cheap hotel

edit: rates are a little higher now because it is peak season, but still the cheapest place you will find and in a perfect location.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ May 25 2005, 04:07 PM)
25 W San Francisco

the "W" is right across the street from the center. they have a good restaurant and bar as well ...

it's kinda "yuppie" but the hotel itself is nice!
wink.gif Andy
ChrisReale
I walk by a few of those every day. I agree about the "W" hotel. Look around and you can find better rates. I figure you might as well take advantage of a nice place on Nob Hill and take a $7 cab to Moscone Center. Top of the Mark is a nice place and the bar at the top has fantastic views (but beers are $6 ar15.gif
Part Pricer

Thanks guys. $6 beers don't scare me. I'm used to Manhattan. beer.gif

My wife says that she wants to be able to walk to the convention. So, even taking a cab is out.

I've stayed at W hotels before. I really don't care for them. They try to be international and end up being pretentious.

I guess we'll be spending a bit. My wife is self-employed, so we will be spending a bit. Anyone have an opinion on the Renaissance Parc 55?

Howard
I'm old, but..

SF is Staying at St Francis and cocktails at Top of the Mark.
Spend your kids' inheritance.
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Howard @ May 25 2005, 09:09 PM)
Spend your kids' inheritance.

I already am spending their inheritance, on their college tuitions. sad.gif
SirAndy
St Francis is nice, but if you want to be close to the center, you're kind of limited. pretty much everything west of the center is probably a no-go as the area gets pretty sketchy very quick (towards 5th street up until 8th) ...

the "W" is within "falling distance", if you know what i mean ( drunk.gif )

The Pickwick only if you guys want to have a real SF experience (insert rainbow colored smily here) ...

The Argent is only 2 blocks away, never been in there, but it looks decent from the outside ...

The wife says Hotel Palomar is "cute", she recommends it. (i think it's on 5th street, that would mean also only 2 blocks away) ...

cool.gif Andy
Joe Bob
When I teach a class at Berkeley, I also take a recertification class for my haz mat credential...I stay in town near the "U" at the Hotel Durant. Funky elegant from the turn of the Century. BART is close and it's 1.75 or so to the airport....BART gets me around when I feel seeing the City...I usually just park the Porsche and cab/BART it.

BTW....I will be up there in September or October...what dates will YOU be there? I haven't gotten the class schedule for the Fall yet.
neo914-6
I've stayed at the Renaissance Parc 55. I forget the rates but it's nice and close to Moscone. Check out the Sony Metreon and SF Museum of Modern Art...
SGB

I'll also be in SF in a couple of weeks with whole fambily- so I'm looking at cheaper places so I can get two rooms maybe. I was lookmin at he Argonaut...
I stayed at the St Francis once- It is really two buildingd- the 120 year old 12 floor original on the square, and a 28 floor glass box. My room overlooked union sq and my coworkers room was on the 26th floor. They were both fabulous - we swapped rooms one night. here are some pics
First the front on Union Sq
SGB
11 th floor room
(pardon the mess)
SGB
View of Union Sq
SGB
26th floor
SGB
last one- view from the 29th floor (I was wrong earlier 30 flrs i guess)
SGB
OK one more- I like these pictures
Part Pricer
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 25 2005, 10:50 PM)
BTW....I will be up there in September or October...what dates will YOU be there? I haven't gotten the class schedule for the Fall yet.

Right now, it looks like we will be arriving on Friday, October 28th around 11:00 am. We'll be staying until Monday, October 31st. We'll probably take the red-eye home on Monday night that leaves around 11:00 pm.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.