Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Aluminum Center Wheel Caps Pop Off When Tightening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914EURO
Hi, I have these cast aluminum center wheel caps that came with my 2.0 Fuchs wheels. I mounted the rear wheels and everything is fine. However when I mount the front wheels, and as I am tightening the lug bolts the center caps get popped off the wheel. Front hubs only.

It seems like they are interfering with the front hub bearing dust caps. The back hubs don't seem to have dust caps, so they stay put. I bought these wheels and center caps off of the forum, so they must've been used successfully before. Maybe the prior owner didn't use hub dust caps or maybe the prior owner shortened how far the dust caps stick out so they would not interfere with the aluminum wheel center caps.

Has anyone encountered this before and do you have any suggestions so I can make these nice 2.0 Fuchs and aluminum center caps work on my 914.

Thanks for your help.
EdwardBlume
Can you take a picture? There was a time when Mikey's aluminum repo's didn't fit the front, but he took care of that.
914EURO
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Nov 10 2017, 09:20 AM) *

Can you take a picture? There was a time when Mikey's aluminum repo's didn't fit the front, but he took care of that.

The only way they sit properly and not pop off when tightening the wheel, is to remove the bearing dust cap. Do you want a picture of the inside of the aluminum cap or a picture of the front wheel hub with or without the dust in place? Thanks for your reply.
Larmo63
Some of the aftermarket dust caps won't and don't fit properly. You might try using spacer discs. I had the same problem, it's frustrating.
914EURO
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 10 2017, 09:34 AM) *

Some of the aftermarket dust caps won't and don't fit properly. You might try using spacer discs. I had the same problem, it's frustrating.

Definitely frustrating. A simple thing, I just want to mount my new wheels and then I hit a road block. I'm thinking maybe shortening the dust cap 6mm or grind down the inside of the center cap to allow sufficient room for the dust cap. Either way, it becomes a waste of time that I really did not want to have to deal with.
76-914
I had that problem, also. But I can't remember what I did to remedy it. I think I found some grease caps that were dimensioned differently. More domed. Shit, I can't even remember what I had for breakfast anymore. huh.gif
914EURO
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 10 2017, 09:46 AM) *

I had that problem, also. But I can't remember what I did to remedy it. I think I found some grease caps that were dimensioned differently. More domed. Shit, I can't even remember what I had for breakfast anymore. huh.gif

Yes, a different size dust cap work would work.
I understand this memory thing. I suffer from CRS. wacko.gif
Boomingbeetle
I second the spacer suggestion. I actually needed them to make my wheels fit properly over the hub, but they give it a better look pushing the rim out a bit wider and filling the arch.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
It's probably because they cast the inside neck of the cap too long, & the front hubs' "Hubcentric" self-centering collar on the front hubs is pushing them back out when you tighten the lugs.

Just file/grind a few mm's off the base of the cap's insite neck that goes inside the wheel hole - do one taking off a bit at a time until it no longer pops off, then do a 2nd to match. You can either mark the 2 for the front inside the caps, or do all 4 so it doesn't matter.

This is only an issue on 73-76 914s with the Hubcentric hubs, since the earlier 70-72 didn't have them.

You should also check that your wheels have a p/n: ending ....01 &/or that they have the inset ring cut/cast into the wheels around the center hole to properly fit over those Hubcentric lips/collars. The older 914 wheels ending in p/n: ...00 & many aftermarket ones lack that inset to accommodate the collar, & therefore won't seat flat onto the front hubs. You can have them ground out on other wheels.

My bet - 99% this is your problem.

PS - forget the spacers, as that can cause other fitment problems causing tire rubbing on the fenders &/or inner wheel housing (front). Just adjust the caps & check the wheels.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914EURO
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 10 2017, 11:21 AM) *

It's probably because they cast the inside neck of the cap too long, & the front hubs' "Hubcentric" self-centering collar on the front hubs is pushing them back out when you tighten the lugs.

Just file/grind a few mm's off the base of the cap's insite neck that goes inside the wheel hole - do one taking off a bit at a time until it no longer pops off, then do a 2nd to match. You can either mark the 2 for the front inside the caps, or do all 4 so it doesn't matter.

This is only an issue on 73-76 914s with the Hubcentric hubs, since the earlier 70-72 didn't have them.

You should also check that your wheels have a p/n: ending ....01 &/or that they have the inset ring cut/cast into the wheels around the center hole to properly fit over those Hubcentric lips/collars. The older 914 wheels ending in p/n: ...00 & many aftermarket ones lack that inset to accommodate the collar, & therefore won't seat flat onto the front hubs. You can have them ground out on other wheels.

My bet - 99% this is your problem.

PS - forget the spacers, as that can cause other fitment problems causing tire rubbing on the fenders &/or inner wheel housing (front). Just adjust the caps & check the wheels.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

This is similar to what I have. I thought they might have been designed for a VW which has a smaller dust cap, so your saying they are actually too long? I think it is more likely the dust cap is too big on my '74 914. The wheels fit correctly without the dust cap in place WITH the center caps staying on. Click to view attachment
Larmo63
It is the dust cap, Tom. I remember trying to hammer on brand new caps and getting really frustrated.

I went and picked them up, made a special trip, came home and destroyed two of them.

Five lug, baby.
oakdalecurtis
Just file a chamfer on the inner edge of the cap, it will pop right on.
914EURO
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Nov 10 2017, 11:50 AM) *

It does need to be secured by 3 small Allen screws from the inside with the wheel off and then I put the wheel back on. That's when the center cap is pushed off. So you're saying that it does not need to be shortened, but rather just chamfered a bit?
914EURO
The dust cap is too large for the center cap to fit over.
I tried fitting the wheel, center cap attached, without the dust cap in place,
and it fit perfectly. So I'll try modifying the edge of the center cap that interferes with the dust cap, and see how it goes.

The spacer idea would work but it's getting more involved to simply make caps fit, and I want to avoid the expense or any possible rubbing.

Nothing is ever easy it seems.

Thanks
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(914EURO @ Nov 10 2017, 08:58 AM) *

It does need to be secured by 3 small Allen screws from the inside with the wheel off and then I put the wheel back on. That's when the center cap is pushed off. So you're saying that it does not need to be shortened, but rather just chamfered a bit?

Exactly, just a little chamfer on the inner cap edge will allow the clearance for the curved outer edge of the grease cap, it won't take much. Do not shorten, that is not the interference problem. A little pliable clay will confirm this. I also had to slightly grind and shorten my allen screws so they to not project out of the cap and into the center area. Put them on an allen wrench and gently hold the end of the allen screw to the grinder wheel. Rotate the allen wrench while grinding so as to slightly point the end of the screws.
914EURO
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Nov 10 2017, 01:51 PM) *

Exactly, just a little chamfer on the inner cap edge will allow the clearance for the curved outer edge of the grease cap, it won't take much. Do not shorten, that is not the interference problem. A little pliable clay will confirm this. I also had to slightly grind and shorten my allen screws so they to not project out of the cap and into the center area. Put them on an allen wrench and gently hold the end of the allen screw to the grinder wheel. Rotate the allen wrench while grinding so as to slightly point the end of the screws.

Thank you
burton73
QUOTE(914EURO @ Nov 10 2017, 10:59 AM) *

Thank you

I have dicked with this for a while. I bought ones from the Samba and could not get them to fit on the front in stock real 4 lugs Fuchs. I just got a new set from 914 Rubber and the fronts would not go on easy with just a tap tonight. There are bevels cut on what I think is the outer edge. What should I use to grind a little from what I think you are saying is the inside edge. A Dremel grinder?

Thanks as always,

Bob B
sawzall-smiley.gif
Mikey914
A dremel can be used but try fitting on without the tire mounted. You can use charcoal to find where it touched. Mine do take a good pop to knock them on.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 20 2017, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(914EURO @ Nov 10 2017, 10:59 AM) *

Thank you

I have dicked with this for a while. I bought ones from the Samba and could not get them to fit on the front in stock real 4 lugs Fuchs. I just got a new set from 914 Rubber and the fronts would not go on easy with just a tap tonight. There are bevels cut on what I think is the outer edge. What should I use to grind a little from what I think you are saying is the inside edge. A Dremel grinder?

Thanks as always,

Bob B
sawzall-smiley.gif

A round file at about a 45 degree angle all around the inner edge of the cap will do the job just fine.
McMark
I'm pretty confused about who's talking about what, center caps and dust caps.

But for the dust cap (ugly steel, on the rotor or hub) there are two different versions for the Porsche. All the 914 or early 911 caps will fit stock 914 and early 911 hubs. Late 911 hubs have a different type and they're not interchangeable. This conversation needs to include more detail in that respect, if you have caps that didn't fit -- what year is your suspension? which size are your caps?

As far as wheel center caps (shiny bits), cast center caps would be aftermarket, and aftermarket parts are always a crap shoot when it comes to fitment. Some places pay attention, some places just try to make it quick and cheap and sell it off to you because once they have your money, it doesn't matter. That why it's important to support the places like 914Rubber and Restoration Design that actually take the time to make parts that fit well, even if they're not the cheapest.
burton73
My car, this car is an original paint 76 car. Stock suspension. Caps from 914Rubber just got them.

Thanks,

Bob B
burton73
OK I have some pictures of fit on my Factory Fuchs. As I said I have had several sets of no factory caps that I have tried to get to fit in the fronts and I do have a set that looks just like 914rubbers but now I have taken a good look at the fit on the wheel. One thing is the part in the form that I just got is one penny deeper than the factory Fuchs is thick. I removed that amount on a 12-inch disk sander and then not only put a small clean up on the outside but the light bevel on the inside as you guys said. I am taking my rubber mallet home and test fit on my 76.

Wheels are mounted on the car and I have only in the last 6 years done this with the wheels mounted on the car. Lemon gave it a try and could not come up with an answer as well

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment ar15.gif
Mikey914
I know the clearance is tight, so if you have any issues after grinding the edge down,
it will be here.
burton73
So I went home with my rubber mallet and the drivers side seated but the passenger side id almost seated all over except in one spot. I am going to loosen the wheel, seat the cap and see where I am.

Thanks,

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.