Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 race engine builder in PNW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jhynesrockmtn
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 914-4 vintage race car that a friend built up before he sadly passed in 2014. I have been running FV's in vintage racing since 2008. I expect this 914 will take a few years to work the bugs out of, etc. I do know the motor he built is not a race motor. It is a 1.7 with webers and the proper cam but otherwise pretty stock. I am looking to get a proper race motor built for the car. Are there any engine builders in the Seattle/Portland/Spokane area that I should touch base with?Click to view attachment
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
welcome.png

Are you planning on running Sovren?
There was probably a reason he kept it mostly stock if Sovren was where he was running. They chased off most of the big bore 911 guys several yrs back. Rules were very inconsistent etc...if Andy Collins is elected President this year, I think some good things may come but before I spent a bunch of time and $ I'd run it as it is, get used to the car and take advantage of the series while you can. They are on life support like many racing clubs in the PNW. Just my .02

There are about 5 Porsche owners in the Seattle area that are doing hillclimbs (race up paved forest service roads) if that is something you'd consider- we'd love to have you along.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info!
Andrew

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Nov 10 2017, 07:12 AM) *

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 914-4 vintage race car that a friend built up before he sadly passed in 2014. I have been running FV's in vintage racing since 2008. I expect this 914 will take a few years to work the bugs out of, etc. I do know the motor he built is not a race motor. It is a 1.7 with webers and the proper cam but otherwise pretty stock. I am looking to get a proper race motor built for the car. Are there any engine builders in the Seattle/Portland/Spokane area that I should touch base with?Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
Aircooledtechguy (Nate) has a shop in annecortes. He knows his way around a t-4 engine and 914s. He has campaigned a t-4 powered squareback at Bonneville.
jhynesrockmtn
Are you planning on running Sovren?
There was probably a reason he kept it mostly stock if Sovren was where he was running. They chased off most of the big bore 911 guys several yrs back. Rules were very inconsistent etc...if Andy Collins is elected President this year, I think some good things may come but before I spent a bunch of time and $ I'd run it as it is, get used to the car and take advantage of the series while you can. They are on life support like many racing clubs in the PNW. Just my .02

There are about 5 Porsche owners in the Seattle area that are doing hillclimbs (race up paved forest service roads) if that is something you'd consider- we'd love to have you along.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info!
Andrew

Thanks Andrew, yes it is a SOVREN car. That pic is from the Spokane race in 2016. The only time I've had the car out with SOVREN. The engine is a non starter as far as performance. I know SOVREN reasonably well and understand the issues. That is where I've been running FV for several years. In fact, I just talked to Andy yesterday about my new helmet and a set of belts. If you know SOVREN you probably knew Bruce Hunt who owned this car. I'm not looking to go crazy with a motor build but I need to get some additional performance out of the car to make it at all worthwhile. I just did the Maryhill event in my street/track 911SC so doing some hillclimbs may be in the cards as well. If there are any good builders in the area, I'd love to hear about them and some feedback.

Thanks,
Jerry
rhodyguy
Has sovren broadened the eligibility years? To include the historic races at PRI 4th of July weekend?
jhynesrockmtn
Yes, SOVREN's car eligibility rules have been updated a few times in the last several years. Currently, Historic cars are eligible up to 1985.
falcor75
Second vote for Nate here, incredibly helpfull person and all around nice guy. He gave me great support for adapting Tangerines pulley system to the itb's I'm running on my engine as he had already used the same on his Squareback.
ChrisFoley
Another vote here for AircooledTechGuy (Nate Morse).
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 10 2017, 10:25 AM) *

Aircooledtechguy (Nate) has a shop in annecortes. He knows his way around a t-4 engine and 914s. He has campaigned a t-4 powered squareback at Bonneville.

Wheres a picture if that machine?
driving.gif
jhynesrockmtn
I have looked Nate up. It appears his shop has closed and he has returned to school.
rhodyguy
Shane, use bonneville in the search feature adding aircooledtechguy. His t-3 is a pretty impressive build. Fast too!

Bummer on Nate closing the doors.
jhynesrockmtn
Nate emailed me back and will take on interesting engine builds so we will discuss the project.
rhodyguy
Excellent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.