Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External Oil Cooler Identification of Part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
My external oil cooler fan stopped working. Does anyone know what this is or where to start?

PO put the cooler and fan on and it mysteriously stopped working. I checked the 2 fuses that are attached to wires that attach to this, both good headbang.gif

I have the car on stands letting it cool off before I start the troubleshooting.

Can I just bypass this box and have it run all the time with the car on? It's getting damn hot here anyway, atleast for the summer.

Luke D
LukeD
The circled wire goes into the box.
LukeD
What I don't understand is why it takes 5 wires plus the gray wire which must be some sort of temp sensor since it goes into the fins of the cooler. So 6 wires to run a fan??

LukeD
Looks like my system is very similar to the pelican tech article. I know have a better understanding of what he has done. Won't know for sure until I crawl under there with flash light

Luke D
Demick
It's a thermostat. Do a google search for:

thermostat 70085

and you'll find it.

Demick
Aaron Cox
where does it take its oil from?

not the sandwhich adapter..... does it take it off an oil cooler adapter plate/spacer?
LukeD
There are 2 lines comming from just above the oil filter. Looks like a sandwich adapter that screws onto teh factory filter location and the filter screws onto that. They go straight to the cooler unlike that pelican article.

Luke D
LukeD
QUOTE (Demick @ May 25 2005, 05:50 PM)
It's a thermostat. Do a google search for:

thermostat 70085

and you'll find it.

Demick

Found a picture but no diagram for where the wires go. Ugg
LukeD
!! UPDATE !!

Problem fixed. I traced all the wires and found the main + lead barely hanging on by a thread. Re-crimped and fan comes on at 200F.

One thing I noticed is the fan is pulling air down, is this correct?

Second, I think I am going to have to put in a relay to power the fan cause I doubt that the thermostat is going to last with the main power running through it.

Third, I notice that if I post a new thread that it motivates me to fix the problem and I end up answering my own questions LMFAO chair.gif

Thanks for the motivation dear 914club wub.gif

Luke D
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (LukeD @ May 26 2005, 12:50 AM)
the fan is pulling air down, is this correct?

'correct' is going to be relative in this case.

your cooler is located behind the engine, next to the transmission, and above the heat exchanger.

you definitely do NOT want to be blowing hot air off the heat exchanger up into the cooler, so down is better. but there's not much room above the cooler for air to enter; that's got to be hurting your efficiency still more. longer spacers, maybe?

to address the "how many wires does it take" question in the thread, 6 seems right: power and ground in, two leads from the thermostat, + and - to the fan motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.