Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-Stopp emergency brake install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gmanscott55
I currently do not have an e brake installed. Previous owner did not put in possibly due to race seats in front? Any advice on remote e brake kits such as e-stopp or others? Any restrictions or best place to install? Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike1981
I am in need of an e-brake as well

I have the cable run to the back but no brackets to attach to the rear calipers

Even would consider a aux system

thanks

mepstein
Tangerine racing has an easy to use adaptor for adding a 911 e-brake to a 914.
Larmo63
It almost seems as if there could be small disc brakes adapted to CV joints?
Steve
I would buy Tangerines kit. There is a thread on how to bolt the 911 shoe brake e-brake assembly to the trailing arm.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4909
I am not a fan of the metal stop on the shoe brake. The factory welded a heavy plate to the trailing arm for a reason. If you just want a parking brake it’s fine, but picture your self grabbing the emergency brake at speed. The brakes shoes will rip off that metal tab if it’s welded to the thin sheet metal of the e-brake assembly.
Wes (rip) helped me with mine. Here is a link to his thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...72&hl=Brake
mepstein
The tangerine kit welds the stop plates on the trailing arms.
porschetub
I am not a fan of the metal stop on the shoe brake. The factory welded a heavy plate to the trailing arm for a reason. If you just want a parking brake it’s fine, but picture your self grabbing the emergency brake at speed. The brakes shoes will rip off that metal tab if it’s welded to the thin sheet metal of the e-brake assembly.

[/quote]
agree.gif ask my how I know,it not only rips the stop off the backing plate the springs and shoe retainers get destroyed @ the same time.
The 911 backing plate isn't heavy enough,Steve is correct 100%...you have a handbrake but not an emergency one if the conversion is done this way.
I intent to re-engineer what the PO did with my setup.....peace of mind from a safety point of view also.
Gmanscott55
Thanks to all who responded... aktion035.gif
Jeff Hail
RIF

The stop is welded to the arm. Pretty stout plate. With a 1/4 inch of bead on both sides its not going to tear off.

The shoes are mounted inside the rotors drum recess. On the opposite end of the stop are the adjusters. Where is it going to rotate to?

Back in the days of the dinosaurs drum brake shoes were mounted to the backing plate held onto an axle housing by 4 bolts. Shoes were tethered by pins, springs and keepers to the backing plate with similar stop. Oh wait they are still like that on modern cars and trucks.

porschetub
Thanks Jeff that's the way I'am going....nice and solid,lots of different ways to skin this cat and mines done rather differently ,wouldn't have been my first chose the Tangerine set up makes more sense to me,having said that what the PO did a good job but didn't think it out 100%.
The rest of the brakes are top notch so having bought a project car I shouldn't complain.
mmascari
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2017, 04:02 PM) *

I converted my rear to 5-lug with drilled hubs and now have Boxster rear calipers and of course no e-brake. I would like to install an e-brake but not sure what parts to buy.

Does anyone have the list of parts needed other than the tangerine kit? I assume the stock early 911 e-brake parts? Do you still utililze the stock 914 e-bake cables?
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(mmascari @ Nov 14 2017, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2017, 04:02 PM) *

I converted my rear to 5-lug with drilled hubs and now have Boxster rear calipers and of course no e-brake. I would like to install an e-brake but not sure what parts to buy.

Does anyone have the list of parts needed other than the tangerine kit? I assume the stock early 911 e-brake parts? Do you still utililze the stock 914 e-bake cables?

I bought a pair of used 912 rear parking brakes with backing plates, pads and all hardware cheap. About a third the price of used 911 parts and they are the same. Replaced springs, pins, keepers and spreaders new. I used 911 bearing retainer plates since the backing plates alone are not robust enough to keep the bearing in check under side load. You can grind your 914 ones down or use the 911 retainers to double it up. The 911 bearing retainers are late model and will need to have the holes opened up a pinch. Early retainers are NLA.
worn
QUOTE(Gmanscott55 @ Nov 11 2017, 03:19 PM) *

I currently do not have an e brake installed. Previous owner did not put in possibly due to race seats in front? Any advice on remote e brake kits such as e-stopp or others? Any restrictions or best place to install? Thanks in advance for your help.

However way you go, read the threads and please don’t go with a 0.5ass solution. These are to keep your car from running away from you down a hill. They are to save lives when your brake lines shoot out fluid and spray like a surfacing Orca. Think of your loved one trying to hold back that ton of narp. I commend you and all for tryin to fix it! Was going back to stock not an option?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.