Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another tire and rim advice thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike1981
Hello

Picked this up in September

It has forged american racing rims all around

7" rims on front 8" on back

Was hoping for opinions of buying a set of cookie cutters and 7" rims all around?

tire sizes are 205-50-15 front
225-50-15 rear

hard to find tires

thanks for any opinion

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=136...e=3&theater

Mike
porschetub
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Nov 12 2017, 01:00 PM) *

Hello

Picked this up in September

It has forged american racing rims all around

7" rims on front 8" on back

Was hoping for opinions of buying a set of cookie cutters and 7" rims all around?

225-50-15 rear

hard to find tires

thanks for any opinion

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=136...e=3&theater

Mike

Not sure if they are American racing wheels,think they are called Revolution or something like that ,nice wheels but the rears are way to wide for a narrow body car.
The cookies will fit and IMO they look good on a 914,early 944 had the ATS cookie cutters as standard so they are fairly easy to find @ a fair price.
Someone may chime in on these comments but from memory the offset of the 7" ones is correct but you will need to go larger in tyre profile to get the correct gearing for your speedo,I think 205/55/15 but that's not quite right,check on a tyre size calculator.
15'' tyres are getting harder to find so spent some time doing this type.gif ,I have a set of these rims and they have bald 215/55/15's which I think is about right.
Good luck.
mepstein
6" cookies with 205x60x15 work great and tires are easy to find. 7" may fit but not always without working the rear fenders.

congrats on the purchase.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 12 2017, 03:46 PM) *

6" cookies with 205x60x15 work great and tires are easy to find. 7" may fit but not always without working the rear fenders.

congrats on the purchase.

agree.gif the offset is same as 16x7 fuch's so the body may be an issue.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Nov 11 2017, 04:00 PM) *

225-50-15 rear

hard to find tires
Mike

Considered low profile so plenty of sticky tires in those sizes. Nothing in all weather if that's what you were looking for.

I got 225 easy under rolled rear fenders and stock camber.

My plan for 914 #2 is 7x15 cookies with 225/50 autox tires. I don't drive in the rain and I don't drive enough for tread wear to be a concern.

205/60 would be stock diameter and ideal for a 6". Mostly cheap sedan type tires (all weather).
Mike1981
Thanks for the replies

Looks like cookie cutters may be the way to go.

I am also leaning towards the autoX or high performance tires in 205-50-15

Interesting about the gearing, I believe you are correct because my speedo reads 10MPH higher than I am actuality traveling.

Are you saying that if I increase aspect ratio it may help this?

Thanks

Mike
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Nov 12 2017, 08:48 AM) *

Thanks for the replies

Looks like cookie cutters may be the way to go.

I am also leaning towards the autoX or high performance tires in 205-50-15

Interesting about the gearing, I believe you are correct because my speedo reads 10MPH higher than I am actuality traveling.

Are you saying that if I increase aspect ratio it may help this?

Thanks

Mike

Yes. A higher aspect ratio/taller tire will have the speedo read closer to the real speed.

Its surprising how well even lower performance tires work on our cars. Light weight and good suspension make a huge diffference.
campbellcj
I used 15x7 cookies a long time ago, and they worked-out great. Cheap option to Fuchs - I think this super nice set was $250 (total)! The car did have neg. camber maxed-out and possibly rolled fender lips, but no flaring at all at this time (2003). Tires were 205/50 yoko and hoosier -R of the day.

IPB Image
Mike1981
Looks great!
If anyone knows of a set of 15 x 7 cookie cutters for sale please let me know.

I will place an ad in the WTB forum

Mike1981
please delete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.