Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield to Dash Seal '70
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I have the one w/o the metal grips but it wants to walk. Any leads?
Mikey914
I thought Porsche still had these. But unless you want to take the windshield out. They are darn near impossible to install.
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 15 2017, 08:03 AM) *

I thought Porsche still had these. But unless you want to take the windshield out. They are darn near impossible to install.

Windshield is out. I'll check out their classic catalog again. Must have missed them. Maybe they're listed under a different model, like the 911, but do fit the 914. confused24.gif I can imagine trying to install one with the windshield in place. They're damned near impossible to remove with the glass removed. av-943.gif
Mikey914
Yes main reason I made without the metal. They over center and with a friction fit are a little difficult to remove, but once it starts it pops right out.
Elliot Cannon
I got mine at AA many years ago. I had the nice young man on the phone check the inventory and make sure they had one. He said, "it was in his hand will go out today". My one and only purchase from Auto Atlanta came three days later. Of course my windshield was out. biggrin.gif That's about the only way to replace the seal. Subaru makes one that fits but just isn't quite right for some reason. confused24.gif poke.gif av-943.gif
rick 918-S
Try a little windshield urethane and tape it in place until it sets. Doesn't take much. Then install the glass on the proper rope seal. Glass shops will have to use urethane by law. If it touches your trim and you ever have to pull it it will be bonded in and junk. Friends don't let friends use urothane.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 15 2017, 03:50 PM) *

Try a little windshield urethane and tape it in place until it sets. Doesn't take much. Then install the glass on the proper rope seal. Glass shops will have to use urethane by law. If it touches your trim and you ever have to pull it it will be bonded in and junk. Friends don't let friends use urothane.

I’d check local laws on that Rick. I had a glass guy come out to replace the windshield on my Tundra and he was admiring the 914. I told him I replaced the windshield myself because he had to use urathane. He said “who told you that?” “Not in Nevada.” He thought the shops might be trying to do it the easy way or avoid liability...
rick 918-S
Ya, you can check but here they insist using it. Our windshields are not used as a structural panel like modern nobody cars.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 15 2017, 06:06 PM) *

Ya, you can check but here they insist using it. Our windshields are not used as a structural panel like modern nobody cars.

agree.gif

Now that I have all the chassis stiffening, I can watch my windshield frame wag going in to parking lots or over speed bumps. It’s just hanging there basically.
sbsix
You can also take your dash out to install the OE seal. Not as easy as having your windshield out, but it can be done.
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 15 2017, 10:50 AM) *

That's a great tip Rick. I didn't use any one my73 and it crept up in a spot. Tried to seal it in place to no avail. Will have to wait until I pul the windshield. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I hate auto correct. Uni-body
Larmo63
I used Mark's windshield seal when the windshield was out. It's fine. Taking the cracked 45 year old "rubber" with the metal teeth inside of it is a frustrating job. It goes all over, and doesn't want to let go. I did it on my yellow car with the windshield in and it cracked the glass. headbang.gif

By the way, Rick, the 'edit' button, lower right corner is your friend.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 16 2017, 08:44 AM) *

I used Mark's windshield seal when the windshield was out. It's fine. Taking the cracked 45 year old "rubber" with the metal teeth inside of it is a frustrating job. It goes all over, and doesn't want to let go. I did it on my yellow car with the windshield in and it cracked the glass. headbang.gif

By the way, Rick, the 'edit' button, lower right corner is your friend.

I agree, mine was the same thing - I was trying to replace the seal with window in back before Okteenerfest and had marks new seal, after it fell apart into a million pieces I was try ing to put the new seal in and could see my butyl was shot the window was moving! turns out the only holding my window in place was the original trim and clips! made removal easy - and I found that the metal inside part was still on there- I had put the new seal on over that and didn't know it- its all out now and i think we can manage re-installing the original window( hard to believe its the original window) even though it has some very small chips - i wonder in fact if this is a smart thing- should i get a new one?? i mean, is there a greater chance of this original one breaking or cracking than a new one?

Mikedrevguy
So, for clarification: the rubber seal needs to be tacked in with adhesive before installing windshield?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikedrevguy @ Nov 16 2017, 11:23 AM) *

So, for clarification: the rubber seal needs to be tacked in with adhesive before installing windshield?

I don't think so , it should just slip on, on adhesive necessary
76-914
QUOTE(Mikedrevguy @ Nov 16 2017, 08:23 AM) *

My past experience say's "YES". Mine slipped out directly behind the gage cluster and I haven't been able to get it back into place and hold. I'll remove the windshield at some point and glue it in when I do.
Mikey914
I resorted to using a dental pic to get it all off. The new seal was made to cut the notch for the pillar trim it goes against, then cut it about 1/4" longer with a notch on the other side. Put the corners in 1st and try to over center. Trim a little at a time til it works. It is difficult to remove once over centered, but catch the edge and you can pull it all out in one piece. Best reason to use my seal is it WILL come out all in one piece. Much less swearing.
76-914
Just to be clear; I never meant this to be derogatory post. I'm grateful for any part I can get for a car nearing 50 years of age. That includes all of 914rubber's inventory! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Not taken as a slam. I understand you have a preference. I took the opportunity to discuss my experience and why mine was different. It's about options. And, if there were enough people that wanted them with the clip I'd make them.
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 17 2017, 07:59 PM) *

Not taken as a slam. I understand you have a preference. I took the opportunity to discuss my experience and why mine was different. It's about options. And, if there were enough people that wanted them with the clip I'd make them.

Oh I know your good with it, Mark. Just wanted head off any BS that might come into play. BTW Mark, Have you ever thought about starting a 914rubber thread that might read something like this, "What Product Would You Like to See Produced by 914rubber"? Might be a great resource in that you could see the potential market for an item. confused24.gif
Mikey914
I actually have several requests that I'm working on getting wrapped up now. I was doing this mostly on the GB side, but URO started poaching the threads so I have been taking requests, and evaluating the market to proceed. Please do PM me if you have some requests, we are just about to wrap up another grouping now.

Larmo63
Didn't Porsche make some sort of cover for the master cylinder reservoir?

Make those, Mark.
Mikey914
Yes, one of those I'm on, Carry is looking at trying to get me a sample.

Also the direct request line -

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe...orm?c=0&w=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.