Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Hot Does Your Tranny Get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I just finished a complete tranny overhaul and it shifts like a new car. I've been driving it for a week now and there is no noise and nothing seems abnormal. I couldn't be happier but........
I came back from a 1/2 hour ride and parked the car. About 45 minutes later I went under it to check for oil leaks and was surprised to see how hot the transaxle was. I could put my hand on it and hold it there, as I could the oil pan, but they were both about the same temperature, pretty warm.
I had never really checked the tranny temp before so I have nothing to compare it to.
Any comments?
Tx
ArtechnikA
914 transmissions have a hard life, behind the engine, above and between the heat exchangers. i would not be surprised to see temps in the 200-220F range.

race cars, and street cars above some HP level, typically run the gear oil through a cooler.

the driveline absorbs something like 10% of the engine's power - which means it's converted to heat. so the transmission is making something like 5-10 HP in heat - 5HP is ~3800W. a 4kW heater is a lot of heat...
tracks914
Thanks that's nice to know. rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
The 930 turbos run transmission coolers for that very reason. So do race cars....and them 'murican cars with a "tow package"....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.