Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Bondo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
I've got some flared rockers that are molded into the body. I'm pretty sure that the PO just filled the gaps with bondo. Any great ideas on how to remove this? (Or at least what I can do to check.) I don't want to get the paint on the car and then have it crack up all along this seam.

I'm thinking a 3" Cut-off wheel powered by the compressor while wearing a respirator. I'm open to any ideas that might be better.
MattR
Methyline Chloride / aircraft stripper. It works wonders.

Get the good stuff (about 25 bucks a gallon), brush on liberally, and cover with a trash bag to prevent air from escaping. Let it sit for a few hours, come back and just scrape it off with a putty knife.

These are steel rocker panels, right?
914GT
A heat gun will also soften body filler enough to scrape it off.
mharrison
Nope, not steel, glass Flares and glass Rocker Panel Covers.....

I wish I could afford steel!
Howard
QUOTE (914GT @ May 25 2005, 09:12 PM)
A heat gun will also soften body filler enough to scrape it off.

Agreed, and no nasty fumes. I used a propane torch on the rockers and the goo just dissolves.
aveale
Hey there!

I just did this the other month.

turns out the PO had welded the rockers from the panels to the underbelly of the car.

big PITA to get access to my sagging longs.

the story is that this was done with 1/16" or greater steel to add strength to a saggy car.

I removed the bondo, hoping to find rivets but found welds.

Love to hear what you find........

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.